Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

57 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

"Not I," said the rubber duck.  :)

54 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

erni.gif.ae21d68ce2013b60e38a538bc9d287a0.gif

45 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Yup, that's where I heard it.  UFO kinda fell thru the cracks back in the day for me.  lol  

BTW, George I just ordered a new rubber duck from Amazon to help me with my therapy.  I put it on your account.   Thanks!  Beats watching Dr. Phil everyday over here on TV.  You're a good man.  :)

Sponsored Ad - Happy Trees Duck Bath Toy Large Bath Duck Squeak Rubber Duck Baby Shower, 7 Inches

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

Has anyone listened to Automatic Mans Visitors? What´s Your impression?

They only released 2 albums 

I can remember that I heard it at a friends house - sounded funky soul with a mixture of Motown rock - Nothing like the first album 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little trivia 

The title Chicken Skin Music has nothing to do with fried chicken: it’s a Hawaiian expression that means music that gives you goosebumps. 

Genre is - Blues Rock 

Artist - Ry Cooder 

Title - Chicken Skin Music 

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/release/574684-Ry-Cooder-Chicken-Skin-Music

B9-F58-F99-9515-42-AC-B8-F9-2-AF0607-D05

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

PSX_20221216_164752.jpg.ede3c78764c78088e12c9500f816b8f3.jpg

I have a (rather theoretical) question about this John Coltrane album (or it could be any other classic album on vinyl).

Would you buy an old 1970s pressing for €27 or would you buy a brand new pressing for €20? The new one obviously will be faultless (no dust, no dirt, no scratches, in absolute new condition)! 

But what would be the arguments in favour of an old pressing?

The plot thickens: there are 2 new pressings of this album,  both 'Wax Time' editions but the more expensive one is yellow vinyl.

image.png.5e3c686d4994d7c24245832fd01ecf92.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MeloManiac said:

I have a (rather theoretical) question about this John Coltrane album (or it could be any other classic album on vinyl).

Would you buy an old 1970s pressing for €27 or would you buy a brand new pressing for €20? The new one obviously will be faultless (no dust, no dirt, no scratches, in absolute new condition)! 

If it’s a Blue Note pressing then theoretically the new one will be as good as the 1970s 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

PSX_20221216_164752.jpg.ede3c78764c78088e12c9500f816b8f3.jpg

Are we talking about a "simple" re-press, or about a re-mix, which would probably involve digital material? If digital, one could probably buy a CD for less money... I always find myself asking the same question, what to do...? Insideout Music at least offers Vinyl and CD as one package  in many of their offerings.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

It is a waxtime pressing. (you caught me in the act of posting!)

If it’s not Blue Note then I would not get the new pressing 

What is the label of the 70s album 

I think this album was first released early 60s 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Full Range said:

If it’s not Blue Note then I would not get the new pressing 

What is the label of the 70s album 

I don't know. I saw it in a (used) vinyl record shop for €27 and now it's sold, I guess.  I didn't take a picture and I only remember it was from the 70s. The shopkeeper said that it was worth at least double the price, but he could never sell it for that money in this specific town (Menen, Belgium).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

Are we talking about a "simple" re-press, or about a re-mix, which would probably involve digital material? If digital, one could probably buy a CD for less money... I always find myself asking the same question, what to do...? Insideout Music at least offers Vinyl and CD as one package  in many of their offerings.

Wax Time has this reputation: they produce excellent pressing quality albums and good quality control, but they use CDs as source, very often, or they are not clear about their source. It's a Spanish company, selling their albums through Amazon and the like, and supermarkets.

Quote from a Amazon client:

Angaben in der Amazon-Beschreibung fehlerhaft. Das Label ist in Wirklichkeit DOXY und nicht wie angegeben Major Babies (österreichischer Musikvertrieb).
DOXY gehört einem größeren russischen Unternehmen, das meist in Osteuropa, in diesem Fall Rumänien, die Schallplatten pressen lässt. Wikipedia: „Aufnahmen sind 70 Jahre nach Entstehung frei von Verwertungsrechten“. Labels wie Waxtime, DOXY, DOL & Co. können also ohne Lizenzgebühren oder Einverständnis der Musiker oder deren Erben Schallplatten kostengünstig pressen.
Nicht nur das: In der Regel wird sich nicht die Mühe gemacht, von den Original-Mastertapes (höchste Qualität) die Pressvorlage zu ziehen, geschweige den diese aufwändig zu überarbeiten. Um an diese Mastertapes zu kommen, muss mit den Eigentümer verhandelt und oftmals teuere Versicherungen für mögliche Schäden für die Zeit der Entnahme aus dem Archiv abgeschlossen werden. Auch diese Kosten werden umgangen, indem man Kopien von CD-Aufnahmen oder ähnlichen Quellen zieht.
All das hört man, und man hört es ziemlich deutlich! Nicht umsonst werden auf Platten renommierte Reissues (Neuauflagen alter Aufnahmen) auch angegeben, wer die Mastetapes bearbeitet hat. Neben Ausbalancieren der Lautstärke der verschiedenen Instrumente und der Höhen und Tiefen, Bearbeiten von Knisterstellen gibt es Tausend tontechnische und künstlerische Dinge dabei zu beachten. Das kann nicht irgendwer machen.
Und wegen all diesen Punkten und noch anderen kosten gute Pressungen mehr. Als Fan der geliebten Musikstücke kann man den Komponisten und Musikern dadurch Respekt zeigen, indem man sich ordentliche Aufnahmen besorgt, wo man weiß, dass der Künstler oder deren Familie nicht veräppelt wurden. Meine Meinung!

English:

Information in the Amazon description incorrect. The label is actually DOXY and not Major Babies (Austrian music distributor) as advertised.
DOXY is owned by a larger Russian company that mostly has the records pressed in Eastern Europe, in this case Romania. Wikipedia: "Recordings are free of exploitation rights 70 years after they were made". Labels such as Waxtime, DOXY, DOL & Co. can therefore press records inexpensively without license fees or the consent of the musicians or their heirs.
Not only that: Usually no effort is made to draw the press template from the original master tapes (highest quality), let alone to elaborately revise them. In order to get these master tapes, you have to negotiate with the owner and often take out expensive insurance for possible damage during the time of removal from the archive. These costs are also circumvented by making copies from CD recordings or similar sources.
You can hear all of this, and you can hear it pretty clearly! It is not for nothing that records of renowned reissues (new editions of old recordings) also state who edited the mast tapes. In addition to balancing the volume of the various instruments and the highs and lows, editing crackles, there are a thousand sonic and artistic things to consider. Not just anyone can do that.
And because of all these points and others, good pressings cost more. As a fan of the music you love, one way of showing respect to the composers and musicians is to get proper recordings where you know the artist or their family hasn't been fooled. My opinion!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MeloManiac said:

Wax Time has this reputation: they produce excellent pressing quality albums and good quality control, but they use CDs as source, very often, or they are not clear about their source. It's a Spanish company, selling their albums through Amazon and the like, and supermarkets.

Since the 70s album is no longer available- it’s no longer in the equation 

The cost is not huge for the wax time album 

Take the gamble- it may amaze you

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Since the 70s album is no longer available- it’s no longer in the equation 

The cost is not huge for the wax time album 

Take the gamble- it may amaze you

Also relevant here is that the CD is €10 or less... 

Would, in this case, vinyl playback win from CD?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

Also relevant here is that the CD is €10 or less... 

Would, in this case, vinyl playback win from CD?

Only a listening test will show what is best 

But vinyl has a greater Htz spectrum 

But if what I read in the extra info you posted is correct then wax time is cheap and nasty 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

Quote from a Amazon client:

Angaben in der Amazon-Beschreibung fehlerhaft. Das Label ist in Wirklichkeit DOXY und nicht wie angegeben Major Babies (österreichischer Musikvertrieb).
DOXY gehört einem größeren russischen Unternehmen, das meist in Osteuropa, in diesem Fall Rumänien, die Schallplatten pressen lässt. Wikipedia: „Aufnahmen sind 70 Jahre nach Entstehung frei von Verwertungsrechten“. Labels wie Waxtime, DOXY, DOL & Co. können also ohne Lizenzgebühren oder Einverständnis der Musiker oder deren Erben Schallplatten kostengünstig pressen.
Nicht nur das: In der Regel wird sich nicht die Mühe gemacht, von den Original-Mastertapes (höchste Qualität) die Pressvorlage zu ziehen, geschweige den diese aufwändig zu überarbeiten. Um an diese Mastertapes zu kommen, muss mit den Eigentümer verhandelt und oftmals teuere Versicherungen für mögliche Schäden für die Zeit der Entnahme aus dem Archiv abgeschlossen werden. Auch diese Kosten werden umgangen, indem man Kopien von CD-Aufnahmen oder ähnlichen Quellen zieht.
All das hört man, und man hört es ziemlich deutlich! Nicht umsonst werden auf Platten renommierte Reissues (Neuauflagen alter Aufnahmen) auch angegeben, wer die Mastetapes bearbeitet hat. Neben Ausbalancieren der Lautstärke der verschiedenen Instrumente und der Höhen und Tiefen, Bearbeiten von Knisterstellen gibt es Tausend tontechnische und künstlerische Dinge dabei zu beachten. Das kann nicht irgendwer machen.
Und wegen all diesen Punkten und noch anderen kosten gute Pressungen mehr. Als Fan der geliebten Musikstücke kann man den Komponisten und Musikern dadurch Respekt zeigen, indem man sich ordentliche Aufnahmen besorgt, wo man weiß, dass der Künstler oder deren Familie nicht veräppelt wurden. Meine Meinung!

English:

Information in the Amazon description incorrect. The label is actually DOXY and not Major Babies (Austrian music distributor) as advertised.
DOXY is owned by a larger Russian company that mostly has the records pressed in Eastern Europe, in this case Romania. Wikipedia: "Recordings are free of exploitation rights 70 years after they were made". Labels such as Waxtime, DOXY, DOL & Co. can therefore press records inexpensively without license fees or the consent of the musicians or their heirs.
Not only that: Usually no effort is made to draw the press template from the original master tapes (highest quality), let alone to elaborately revise them. In order to get these master tapes, you have to negotiate with the owner and often take out expensive insurance for possible damage during the time of removal from the archive. These costs are also circumvented by making copies from CD recordings or similar sources.
You can hear all of this, and you can hear it pretty clearly! It is not for nothing that records of renowned reissues (new editions of old recordings) also state who edited the mast tapes. In addition to balancing the volume of the various instruments and the highs and lows, editing crackles, there are a thousand sonic and artistic things to consider. Not just anyone can do that.
And because of all these points and others, good pressings cost more. As a fan of the music you love, one way of showing respect to the composers and musicians is to get proper recordings where you know the artist or their family hasn't been fooled. My opinion!

2 hours ago, Full Range said:

Only a listening test will show what is best 

But vinyl has a greater Htz spectrum 

But if what I read in the extra info you posted is correct then wax time is cheap and nasty 

I have been avoiding those pressings.. My local independent record store has a few of the dol pressings...

But I did score this yesterday..

Not sure what pressing as of yet..

Went by the textured heavy cover..

16749175011831494868123.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@dirtmudd that's a great album!  I had it so now I'll have to eyeball sometime.  Great guy who could crank out the goodies.   Passed the song on to Glenn Frey to finish?  Yuuuup, and look at it now.  

"I've got seven women on my mind," four that want to own me, two that want to stone me and one she says she's a friend of mine." There would have never have been the song "Take It Easy" without Jackson Browne.

This is one show I would have loved to see.  You all know I love Tal Wilkenfeld but w/Jackson Browne?  He's pushin 75 or so but he's still doin his thing when he wahts to.  Tal?  Killin it w/a waiting list of groups to play with.  She's gonna take the ball and run.

Signed by that front row from that show.  Had to!

IMG-20211024-164450714-1.jpg

• Like 4