Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

What makes more sense?

Upgrading my 2 year old Project Essential TT stylus from Ortofon OM10 to OM20 for 156 euro. Difference is that diamond is clamped directly to the stylus, not glued. 

Or

Upgrading my 35 year old Technics SL DL1 from oem EPS 23CS stylus  24 euro to an oem shibata stylus of 159 euro. They also sell SAS needles but these start at 299 euro. 

PSX_20230130_194657.jpg

PSX_20230130_173725.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I just throw 'em in the VPI and use their stuff.  Yea, I got smart and picked up a lil 5 ounce bottle @ Upscale.  Then I started thinking.  Duh, that's enough to mix up 5 gallons of juice?  Seriously?  5 gallons?  Guess I've gotta start using more!  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MeloManiac said:

What makes more sense?

Upgrading my 2 year old Project Essential TT stylus from Ortofon OM10 to OM20 for 156 euro. Difference is that diamond is clamped directly to the stylus, not glued. 

Or

Upgrading my 35 year old Technics SL DL1 from oem EPS 23CS stylus  24 euro to an oem shibata stylus of 159 euro. They also sell SAS needles but these start at 299 euro. 

PSX_20230130_194657.jpg

PSX_20230130_173725.jpg

depends on which tt is your personal favour and is used more . Even if you go with a shibata grind on your technics tt ,bear in mind the contact zone of the shibata grind to the plate groove is three to four times larger than with an elliptical diamond grind. This means more information readout....but also higher sensitivity to the print quality of the vinyl in terms of crickles and pops.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Unboxed two vintage cards today , they´ve never been used ..

The Stanton 681 EEE

stanton.jpg.b306fb93ea6fa7b702778c8c470f0d6a.jpg

and the unique ADC MK IV Selected from Peter Pritchard

adc.jpg.2417ada5e281c8823d9e2110e80f1af0.jpg

adciv.jpg.5b886b3b264e5daad13578ddfbccdd01.jpg

This system was made only by request privately by Peter Pritchard after 1985 in his retirement. For this he used selected XLM bodies from his fund. The needle was fitted with the naked Pathemax diamond of his Sonus systems. It was never officially available for purchase and was only given to select collectors. Sonically, it combines the outstanding spaciousness of the XLM with the fantastic resolution of a Sonus and thus sets a wonderful conclusion to his work, which the XLM unfortunately never experienced during its official construction period.

I thought it´s time to use them ......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

depends on which tt is your personal favour and is used more . Even if you go with a shibata grind on your technics tt ,bear in mind the contact zone of the shibata grind to the plate groove is three to four times larger than with an elliptical diamond grind. This means more information readout....but also higher sensitivity to the print quality of the vinyl in terms of crickles and pops.

I use the Technics all the time, it's my favorite because it is fully automatic and sounds better, I guess because of its tangential arm. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

I use the Technics all the time, it's my favorite because it is fully automatic and sounds better, I guess because of its tangential arm. 

in this case you should look for a  JICO National Technics EPS-25CS Stylus Needle  it´s approx. 50 €

you can get it from dacapo in denmark

https://www.dacapoaudio.com/1324-Technics-EPS-25-ES-styli.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get´s late tonight but wanted to finish the alignments with the Stanton 681 EEE as well as the ADC MK IV Selected .

Both are playing without any audible problems ..need to get a break in, that´s why I bought and try the " Clearaudio " Break In Record mentioned here and in the thread " what´s the difference between MM / MC / MI Cards " yesterday . 

eeekleiner.thumb.jpg.50a666c5fe965d7d5ce0ee8f909b7303.jpg

mkivkleiner.thumb.jpg.5c8d34fc90f8ed21a37eb0cfa1a94893.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Get´s late tonight but wanted to finish the alignments with the Stanton 681 EEE as well as the ADC MK IV Selected .

Both are playing without any audible problems ..need to get a break in, that´s why I bought and try the " Clearaudio " Break In Record mentioned here and in the thread " what´s the difference between MM / MC / MI Cards " yesterday . 

eeekleiner.thumb.jpg.50a666c5fe965d7d5ce0ee8f909b7303.jpg

mkivkleiner.thumb.jpg.5c8d34fc90f8ed21a37eb0cfa1a94893.jpg

The Stanton 681 EEE is the first cartridge I purchased and still own it to this day 

Now it is fitted with a Jico Shibata stylus from Japan 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KROCK said:

Getting ready for the Granite top.

image.thumb.jpeg.1b6a00cebfd2dd3f269584e69c40be84.jpeg

I was going to build my 401 plinth from broken pool table slate pieces 

But I found some fine timber and used that instead 

So when I post the TT with records it’s the end result 

8302-EBA2-ADE1-4181-A106-71-B984507-BBF.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, billybob said:

@MicroMara I take it the the Clearaudio you have not tried as of yet.

As for the Stanton shown, is the flap showing the 681EEE there for a visual purpose and forget, but elliptical to the 3rd power, liken to a microline or equivalent, thanks.

You´ve got it Billy that´s absolutely correct !

151991175_stantontecspecs.thumb.jpg.b99ca236b97b031e5107d78860c41626.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KROCK said:

Getting ready for the Granite top.

image.thumb.jpeg.1b6a00cebfd2dd3f269584e69c40be84.jpeg

I also love these old sewing machine tables, I had ours a few years ago in white and silver lacquered he is from singer, the chair standing in front of it,,,, yes I have brought from Cairo

996804458_nhmaschine1.thumb.jpg.0f23020a03d0ca98b51132f288ffae89.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Went with the delivery of the Break In record faster than expected . Surprising is ... Copyrights since 2007 and still NEVER heard of. Well no matter , better too late than never .

Here is the explanation of what happens times photographed from the back of the cover

2079872629_BreakInenglisch.thumb.jpg.a2bf130c2459b63c85088938658ddc29.jpg

The 20 Hz > 20 KHz sweep was violent for my ears, for my age ..all respect

I let them play parallel for both cards on two arms

BreakIn3.thumb.jpg.0c64e40830c314d9ea6d11a5f151f522.jpg

Will keep it running for approx. 12 hours now .

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Full Range said:

I was going to build my 401 plinth from broken pool table slate pieces 

But I found some fine timber and used that instead 

So when I post the TT with records it’s the end result 

8302-EBA2-ADE1-4181-A106-71-B984507-BBF.

@Full Range, I've spoken to a few ''Guru's'' & they said Slate is the ultimate material for a Turntable plinth, & they also said, any material will work w/948 because of it's  suspended platter. I picked out a nice piece of Slate, but opted to go the cheaper route & get the Granite. That just leaves more on the budget to buy more LP's. 😁

• Like 5

Now it is so far. I dare once again the jump into the world of moving coil TA's. Not that I had not previously owned some, there were already some, for example Wega, Sony, Denon, Ortofon. Since I now have the Trichord Phono Pre it´s not longer a problem to this also optimally adapt.

After a long time back and forth, I would like to feel my way back to it and don´t want to spend....1 K€ or whatever and this is still upscale entry level, no that´s not my business .

Accordingly, I have decided for a " Vintage MC " Yamaha MC 11, it is NoS and have purchased it on Sunday. It´s on it´s way to me already.

mc11kleiner.jpg.55bccb54615a7bb5cf0c9fb5dad93c18.jpg

Technical data as follows :

Type: moving coil
Output Voltage: 0,35 mV
Frequency Response: 10Hz-50kHz
Tracking Force: 1.8g
Mass: 5.3g
Channel Separation: 28dB
Output Impedance: 30 ohms
Stylus Tip: elliptical
Cantilever : aluminum
Dynamic Compliance: 7 x10-6cm/Dyne

Can adjust it optimally on the Trichord as follows: load 1.1 nF 33 ohms, gain 0.25 to 0.4 mV = 70 dB gain.

What I have read has impressed me , it probably plays better than his " big " still popular brother MC 9 , is said to play far above the Denon DL 103 ,above the Audio Technica 30 E  or AT OC-9 and others.

Should be able to reproduce space and depth , plays more homogeneous and musical than the MC 9 . The detail resolution is more accurate , the localization sharpness very precise in depth. Reminds sonically of the Grace F9. It sounds very dynamic and agile with really good and especially dry low bass on medium-heavy arms around the 14-15gr.

The preconditions are given to drive it optimally .

Let´s hear how it sounds , will tell you in a few days

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2