Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

@mustang_flht   ......PAS audio 2002 PCA (biamp bass), Cary SLi50 (in middle and high)  

I have read before that you have connected a transistor power amplifier for the low pass and a tube for the mid/high range to your CW 3 (with Jantzen caps), how are your experiences? I am thinking of doing something similar, does it make sense? If so where are the acoustic advantages ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Thanks for the clip, but that fool with the microphone didn’t seem to understand the concept of a solo.  Why was he talking over Bobby Keys’s solo, and then again over the guitar solo?  He gets to talk or sing (if he can sing) the rest of the time, so he should be able to shut up for a few minutes.  You can see that Bobby’s not too pleased with it.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MicroMara said:

@mustang_flht   ......PAS audio 2002 PCA (biamp bass), Cary SLi50 (in middle and high)  

I have read before that you have connected a transistor power amplifier for the low pass and a tube for the mid/high range to your CW 3 (with Jantzen caps), how are your experiences? I am thinking of doing something similar, does it make sense? If so where are the acoustic advantages ?

Hi @MicroMara

Without going too far off topic compared to vinyl records. I have been using multi amplification since the early 90s, I often preferred the sound of the SS in the bass and I like the valves or the smooth SS in the midrange and treble. In this area there are several schools, those who swear by mono-amplification, those who multi-amplify with the same identical amplifiers at the top and at the bottom, etc ... With different amplifiers the advantage and to have the dynamics, the firmness and the amplitude of a good SS in the bass (the PAS audio of your compatriot of Schwarzach are fantastic from this point of view with a very soft price at Thomann) and the smoothness of a tube amp by example above. There are people who say that it is no longer homogeneous, I like this solution, you have to form your own opinion with your own tastes. Be careful with the SS solution in the bass and valves at the top, it is necessary to be able to adjust the sound levels of the amps with at least one volume control as on the PAS audio 2002PCA.

• Like 3

".......transistor power amplifier for the low pass and a tube for the mid/high range."  "If so where are the acoustic advantages ?"

Following is a transcript of the relevant part of Bob Carver's [video interview] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ9USqpclWc&feature=youtu.be&t=50m2s😞

Host: What are your thoughts on solid state amplification vs tube amplification?

Bob Carver: Ahh...I grew up with tubes. I loove vacuum tubes. They glow in the dark. I have a wonderful warm feeling when I listen to my music with vacuum tubes. Again, go back to the stereophile challenge. You can see that a vacuum amplifier and a solid state amplifier can be made to sound virtually indistinguishable. That's the reality of it. However, when I listen to vacuum tube amplifiers, I go...there is a magic here that I adore and love and not about to give it up. So I have both amplifiers in my listening room. I have vacuum tube amplifers. I have latest solid state amplifiers. And they both sound stunning to me. I'm very very happy with both of them.

Host: Can you describe at all what the difference might be if they measure virtually identically as you have talked about it in the amp challenge. What is that magic?

Bob Carver: Here's one of the magic. If we listen to a vacuum tube amplifier, when a vacuum tube amplifier produces a signal it makes the loudspeaker move. The loudspeaker sends sound waves into the room. Sound waves bounce off the wall and they come back to the loudspeaker. Like a microphone they make the loudspeaker move. The loudspeaker makes a little voltage just like the microphone would. That voltage is fed back around the amplifier's feedback loop back to its input. All amplifiers have two inputs. One is the audio signal that comes from the outside world and there is a audio signal which is the feedback signal. Both of these signals are the same. They are the same amplitude, same frequency response, everything. What happens on a vacuum tube amplifier, the amplifier makes another sound that's related to the sound that it heard. In other words, the amplifier is able to listen to the room because it's hearing reverberations, echoes, time delays, all the components associated with the venue. So the loudspeaker speaks and the room speaks back to the loudspeaker. The amplifier hears it by the signal going back to the feedback loop and out it comes again.

Host: It is delayed by some of the time..right?

Bob Carver: It's not delayed by much. The real delay is the acoustic delay (Host: exactly...that's what I'm talking about). Yes...it's delayed..exactly, exactly. That delay makes it sound spacious and big to our brain system. We love sounds that have ambiance and echoes and stuff like that.

Host: But don't solid state amps do the same thing?

Bob Carver: No, for a solid state amplifier, it's output impedance is so low that when it tells the speaker to move, the speaker sends the wave out which bounces off the walls and comes back. A solid state amplifier will not allow the speaker to move in response as in the sound wave coming back and hitting it.

Host: How can the amplifier tell the speaker how to move?

Bob Carver: The amplifier tell the speaker how to move initially. Then the amplifier shorts the speaker out and the speaker cannot move on the back wave meaning the amp is said to have a very low output impedance, so the speaker can't move. That's all it is...it shorts the speaker out basically.

Host: So the vacuum tube amp has a somewhat higher output impedance.

Bob Carver: Exactly and that higher output impedance is one of the things we hear when we listen to a vacuum tube amplifier. It's one of the things that make a vacuum tube amplifier sound so enjoyable, so nice and so spacious.

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

@mustang_flht..^^^^^^^^^^^^  Thank you for your brief comment, I already thought that one must adjust the decibel difference between a transistor power amplifier for the low pass and the tubes for the mid/high tone.

That's right.  Level matching is much simpler if you use identical power amplifiers for bass and treble.  As well, that way the sound will be consistent from bottom to top.

• Thanks 2

I'd love to have one of those Enterprise tt's @MicroMara. Maybe I could hang it from the ceiling like that Technics I did it to forty years ago. No matter what I did I could not stop skips when we were playing foosball, partying and rocking out!! So it hung from the ceiling for a year or so.

@dirtmudd Must be a special version like I know you've snagged before because I'm pretty sure you've got that release already. Am I right?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Islander said:

That's right.  Level matching is much simpler if you use identical power amplifiers for bass and treble.  As well, that way the sound will be consistent from bottom to top.

Mine will be set up like that again someday. I've had the A speakers going to the HF and the B set going to the LF. When I first tried it out it seemed there was "more" to the bass definition and volume. Can't produce documentation but they will stay like that until the rig changes!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I've had the A speakers going to the HF and the B set going to the LF. When I first tried it out it seemed there was "more" to the bass definition and volume. Can't produce documentation but they will stay like that until the rig changes!

Made the same with my Marantz PM11-S3 SS into the Bi Wire Terminals from my RF7 EvoTec , before I connected the mono tubes . Sounds really more detailed and powerful ....

• Like 2