Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

2 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

I haven't seen those Belgian Franks in a very long time. 5 Frank equals 0.125 euro. 

1 French Franc was worth 6 Belgian Frank's. 1 Dutch Gulden was 20 Belgian Franks. And these were just our neighboring countries.... Complicated! 

Two decades ago since we got the € . Got a collection of coins and banknotes from 68 countries where I´ve been for business in the past.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi my Vinylovers

Phase I of the rebuild is complete, despite the fact that the  "only" 90 grams Counterweigt from England for the 3009 II is still on the way.Had a flash of inspiration last night, I remembered that I had to have somewhere pretty heavy brass headshell screws, so this morning rummaged and found.

Then balanced my heaviest pick up AT 20 SLA with the brass screws . Came down to 11 grams weight . Great I thought that fits with the 162 gram Counterweigt , for that you have to bring at least 10 grams plus 10 grams headshell weight on the scale .

Then the tragedy began ...I first familiarized myself with the SME 3009 II original English BDA studied, after 38 years Micro Seiki MA 500 a real challenge. Compared to the MA 500 is a snap, the 3009 a diva and a *****.

Have really left nerves today when adjusting the tonearm, especially since I had also dismantled the Micro Seiki boom AX 2 with SME milling to put the strobe light to the front left side. To do this, of course, I had to rotate the entire drive, also bring it back into plumb and completely realign both axes, that of the AX 2 and that of the SME. In addition then still pickup with a template ,Azymuth at the headshell adjust and VTA ...Real hardcore job today been.

Yesterday first rebuilt the control unit, I did not like everything yet so right, now it does

1811567697_BedienelementDQX1000.thumb.jpg.7feffa951a75df046192647c7a3c67ae.jpg

UmbauDQX.thumb.jpg.45dddc25fde61cceb4289f8abe1f2522.jpgUmbauDQX1.thumb.jpg.ea5d1dfec3d34d1f08c20955406f119d.jpg

AT20SLA1.thumb.jpg.6b0f7bbc188ecc54f0e9e5fd1322e64d.jpgAT20SLA.thumb.jpg.67b38039d1c35fd6c6e1c25a2b7aa03d.jpg

Yamamoto.thumb.jpg.3a4c588686ef9e9d6b1ea20d7a4787c5.jpgSME.thumb.jpg.de64999b21481497959f1be4550aa225.jpg

When I was done, man I was curious if it fits.......

IT FITS AND HOW IT FITS ....Wat  a HELL MACHINE .  I could not calm down emotionally ..had to cry like a little child , no chance to resist ...tears of joy shot out of my eyes ..I danced in the music room with happiness .

Now I look forward to the next upgrate with the second tonearm Micro Seiki MA 505 MK II . Think that will happen in January, untill than  I`m very very happy to hear and experience vinyl again.

smilie-gross_358.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Way to go @MicroMara brass thumbscrews for the win !

Back of the headshell looks low but from the other angle VTA looks good (level arm).

Gonna check it out again tomorrow , think it´s 98,5 % up to now, fine adjustements allready done in the meantime . High Res pics showing things much more detailed ...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

Have really left nerves today when adjusting the tonearm,

It all looks very intimidating, I must say! Not my cup of tea.

Have you already made up your mind? What will be the first record you'll be spinning?

Here's  a suggestion:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

It all looks very intimidating, I must say! Not my cup of tea.

Have you already made up your mind? What will be the first record you'll be spinning?

Here's  a suggestion:

That´s Tina

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

You Asked: Is Listening to Music Good For Your Health?

Short answer: yes, but it is a very subjective thing: "Tracks with a slow tempo, gradual chord progressions and drawn-out notes tend to be calming, Levitin says, while chaotic and up-tempo music tends to have the opposite effect. But all of this is subjective. Levitin says he’s encountered people who have said that AC/DC is their relaxation music. “These were people who normally listened to Swedish speed metal, so to them AC/DC was soothing,” he says. “There’s no one piece of music that will do the same thing for everyone.”

Longer read: https://time.com/5254381/listening-to-music-health-benefits/ 

... of course, we all know, those of us who are spinning vinyl are the healthiest of them all!

the-answer-man-record-player.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I have a running joke with my students. When I talk with them about the exam period, I fake a lapsus and say 'holiday period'. Anyhow, in the past week, I have been grading exams all day long, while listening to vinyl records almost continuously, on my recently acquired Technics SL-DL1 (1981), my first ever linear tracking turntable. I have listened to all genres of music (rock, folk, jazz, synth, classical baroque, classical symphonic, classical piano, chamber music, large orchestra etc). Mostly with my 1972 Heresy speakers, later in the evening on my DT990Pro headphones.

Early on, I posted here that the sound is 'fuller' than my Pro-ject Essential III with OM10 needle. Now, I can elaborate on that a bit. To my feeling, I get a better left/rigth separation, and the bass notes are 'faster' (I now understand what audiophiles mean with that), and I hear a lot more sound in the high frequencies. That last remark is interesting: up to now I thought my 1972s Heresy's in combination with the Leben CS300 for some reason were not very rich in the highest frequencies, but now they are. All genres sound fast, controlled, and the right amount bright.

I'm comparing with the Pro-ject Essential III Ortofon OM10; that needle is 3 years old and maybe needs to be replaced? I don't know. The needle on the Technics is 3 months old, according to the seller, and I don't think he put an expensive version in it. The standard needle costs 25 euro, and I think that is the one I have. (The Project's Ortofon OM10 is €49)

I like the ergonomics of the SL-DL1 a lot: auto start and auto off, cue up/down, it all functions very intuitively and without fault. As soon as you push the start button, the needle quickly goes down. For a couple of miliseconds, the sound is dampened so there is no bump when the needle hits the vinyl, and then the record starts playing. Cue up/down is lightning fast too. The repeat button is like a dream come true! The build quality is excellent: if you want something comparable and modern day, you'll have to pay more than €500.)

Is there anything 'bad' about this turntable? Well, yes, I find it hard to manually bring the needle to the start of a track. Here, the Pro-ject is the clear winner. Other, more expensive models, have a sensor and do this automatically. Mine doesn't. For me, it's not really a problem, because I mostly listen to whole sides/albums anyhow. Second, if there is a lot of music on a side, it may stop before the last track is finished. I've seen a video on YT in which they explain how to callibrate this correctly (with a screw somewhere), this is something I need to look into. It happened only with two of my albums, old classical recordings with very long symphonies on it.

I know, this is by no means a 'high end' turntable, but I have really enjoyed listening to it all week. It has become my number one turntable and my Pro-ject is going into storage for a while!

PSX_20211213_205425.thumb.jpg.e385af8820c178b31434d87cd37161e8.jpgPSX_20211213_205350.thumb.jpg.06d0fa867c4456c68e4a5ba0b6d73b61.jpgPSX_20211214_102145.thumb.jpg.32733089d1c26b4d2190ab0c5f1acbdd.jpgPSX_20211214_102430.thumb.jpg.6fee34f88da7aec171be40ccfe2b042c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5