Jump to content

Vinyl - Record Spinning


Full Range

Recommended Posts

Rather than adding yet another cabinet to our already full house, we decided to repurpose these ancient apple crates and upgrade them to vinyl records storage. After all, we are firm believers in recycling and circular economy. That's just part of my fascination for vintage gear and vinyl records... 

Thanks for all the replies! 

 

PSX_20220104_140411.jpg

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Full Range said:


My tonearm also floats on an air cushion 

And can be fitted to just about any turntable- so that makes the TransFi Terminator a unique component that anyone with a turntable can access 

 

https://trans-fi.webs.com/terminator-tonearm

 

@MicroMara should consider one for his 3rd tonearm 🤪

The thought is already tempting, but if I installed the second tonearm , the two are really enough. Then I have a light- and a medium weight tonearm. For my pickups that fits.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just spinning at a grey and rainy afternoon....Alan Parsons Project , " I Robot " 1977 , Arista Label 

 

Insinde of the cover is written the following , 45 years ago they wrote .." I robot … the story of the rise of the machine and the decline of man, which paradoxically coincided with his discovery of the wheel… and a warning that his brief dominance of this planet will probably end, because he tried to create his own image.”   ....True words...

 

Alan.thumb.jpg.fa85fa0b499c4b6388e829541dd2cc91.jpg

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMG-20210420-143033163.jpg

 

I had my oak cabinet made locally buy a guy who was a cabinet maker long ago.  4 foot long shelves, smoked glass on rollers in an aluminum recessed track.  Full inch oak all the way around so it's going to take the weight.  Cost me about $750 in the late 70's.  Wanted to have two made then but didn't because of the price.  Now I wish I had two more.  

 

The rest of the collection is on concrete blocks supporting inch shelving board and the countertop came out of one of Ohio State's chemistry labs.  Lagged those into the wall studs & threw some 2x2 inch pine supports in.  Got the shelving for $20 from some dude who was tearing out the lab.  He wanted it all but was nice enough to help me out with what he had.  Works like a charm.

 

Recently picked up a 4' long 5 shelf oak cabinet on fb Marketplace for all of my new remasters, etc.  Guy bought it at a Gov't auction and I paid him 20 then he even delivered it from 20 miles away for 50.  Wheeled it in and sat it down.

 

IMG-20220104-115345556.jpg

 

Patience is a virtue ya just have to keep your eyes open to do it on the cheap!

 

I'd recommend building your own wooden "crates."  3-4 feet long, use brass screws for an added "look" and stain/poly them.  Sturdy, stackable and utilize the space you have and easily moved.  

 

My thoughts anyway.  Trust me I'm cheap, so just take your time and keep your eyes open!  :)

 

There's the short version.  NOT writing any books on EC either Paul.  First the eyes then the mind they say.  They're right too.  Flashbacks happen at my age alllll the time.  hahaha  Nope, never ate the brown acid either!   😂

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wait, those apple crates look great!  Seeee, I just typed all that cause I didn't see the apple crate photo?  First the eyes then the mind?  What AM I doing?  Just hope it doesn't get worse!   😂

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Help me out here... I recently read something about Alan Parsons colaborating with ??? and then when the band quit, he started the Alan Parsons Project... But who was he working with initially?

 

EDIT

Alan Parsons appears in the Disney+ documentary 'Get Back' when he was a young sound engineer. He's listed as 'assistant engineer' of Let it Be.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_It_Be_(Beatles_album)#Personnel

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

IMG-20210420-143033163.jpg

 

I had my oak cabinet made locally buy a guy who was a cabinet maker long ago.  4 foot long shelves, smoked glass on rollers in an aluminum recessed track.  Full inch oak all the way around so it's going to take the weight.  Cost me about $750 in the late 70's.  Wanted to have two made then but didn't because of the price.  Now I wish I had two more.  

 

The rest of the collection is on concrete blocks supporting inch shelving board and the countertop came out of one of Ohio State's chemistry labs.  Lagged those into the wall studs & threw some 2x2 inch pine supports in.  Got the shelving for $20 from some dude who was tearing out the lab.  He wanted it all but was nice enough to help me out with what he had.  Works like a charm.

 

Recently picked up a 4' long 5 shelf oak cabinet on fb Marketplace for all of my new remasters, etc.  Guy bought it at a Gov't auction and I paid him 20 then he even delivered it from 20 miles away for 50.  Wheeled it in and sat it down.

 

IMG-20220104-115345556.jpg

 

Patience is a virtue ya just have to keep your eyes open to do it on the cheap!

 

I'd recommend building your own wooden "crates."  3-4 feet long, use brass screws for an added "look" and stain/poly them.  Sturdy, stackable and utilize the space you have and easily moved.  

 

My thoughts anyway.  Trust me I'm cheap, so just take your time and keep your eyes open!  :)

 

There's the short version.  NOT writing any books on EC either Paul.  First the eyes then the mind they say.  They're right too.  Flashbacks happen at my age alllll the time.  hahaha  Nope, never ate the brown acid either!   😂

Too bad Dave or you could flashback...🤔

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

Help me out here... I recently read something about Alan Parsons colaborating with ??? and then when the band quit, he started the Alan Parsons Project... But who was he working with initially?

I know that he was a sound-engineer, for Pink Floyd and others....

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In October 1967, at the age of 18, Parsons went to work as an assistant engineer at Abbey Road Studios, where he earned his first credit on the LP Abbey Road. He became a regular there, engineering such projects as Wings' Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway, five albums by the Hollies, and Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon, for which he received his first Grammy Award nomination.

 

Hit him on Wikipedia for the full story.  :)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Is it the TT, is it the LP? Getting some distortion here and there...

could have many reaasons ......the record itself, the alignment of the tonearm, the antiscating , the vertical tracking angle, the stylus rack angle, the cables , the ground cable connection between phonostage and tt .......

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

could have many reasons ......the record itself, the alignment of the tonearm, the antiscating , the vertical tracking angle, the stylus rack angle, the cables , the ground cable connection between phonostage and tt .......

How much an hour you charge for benchwork?  THAT was the laundry list if I ever saw one!  😂  😂   WAIT!!!  Now we know how you're paying for this 3rd tone arm???

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

Rather than adding yet another cabinet to our already full house, we decided to repurpose these ancient apple crates and upgrade them to vinyl records storage. After all, we are firm believers in recycling and circular economy. That's just part of my fascination for vintage gear and vinyl records... 

Thanks for all the replies! 

 

PSX_20220104_140411.jpg


Beautiful 🤘

That is the original version of this newer modern design 

 

Hasn’t changed much 

1_xxl_77.jpg

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Full Range said:


Beautiful 🤘

That is the original version of this newer modern design 

 

Hasn’t changed much 

1_xxl_77.jpg

 

Some of my LP’s still live in an old Schooner Lemons crate I got from @Marvel ages and ages ago.

3EC65F30-A5B7-4330-9CE4-4F8D619CE620.thumb.jpeg.c7281739e9a3307b5bbc4d2353c4ff22.jpeg

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Invidiosulus said:

Some of my LP’s still live in an old Schooner Lemons crate I got from @Marvel ages and ages ago.

Gosh, that's at least 55 years old, maybe a lot more. Here's one of the original labels, from the '40s.

 

 

L128_1024x.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...