Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

29 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Don’t forget to come back with your impressions of the new cartridge compared to others in the stable 

No Problem Paul , as I allready mentioned ..something in between the Sonus Bold Blue and the ADC XLM III . I´ll let you know . Think I will take it in operation within the next few days.

• Like 3

Been werkin on a little project to hang tomorrow.  Got a cell msg from my framer this morning.  

"Good morning Dave - Just wanted to let you know that i got your last (and final) frame order done last evening.  Your music room should look really good by now!  Thanks much for the business :) Linda"

So, I stopped in this afternoon and said "Seriously?  My final frame order?"   

She and the owner started laffin their rears off and told me they were joking when THEY sent the msg.  I then told them I was bringing in about 50 signed baseball cards I wanted framed individually.  :)  

I kinda went outta the box on this one so we'll see what ya all think.  Bwa ha ha!  I actually thunked on this one. I had NO idea how to do it.   😂

"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Been werkin on a little project to hang tomorrow.  Got a cell msg from my framer this morning.  

"Good morning Dave - Just wanted to let you know that i got your last (and final) frame order done last evening.  Your music room should look really good by now!  Thanks much for the business :) Linda"

So, I stopped in this afternoon and said "Seriously?  My final frame order?"   

She and the owner started laffin their rears off and told me they were joking when THEY sent the msg.  I then told them I was bringing in about 50 signed baseball cards I wanted framed individually.  :)  

I kinda went outta the box on this one so we'll see what ya all think.  Bwa ha ha!  I actually thunked on this one. I had NO idea how to do it.   😂

"

looking forward to see the framed baseball cards in @Full Range´s Art Appreciation Thread

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MicroMara said:

looking forward to see the framed baseball cards in @Full Range´s Art Appreciation Thread

He’s also got a back stage pass for Jimi Hendrix

And going on so many incredible stories he has shared with us, we can just imagine how many more items he has somewhere in storage. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well, to be honest, I do have some things locked in the bank deposit box and a couple other things stashed.

Vangelis "Nocturne" is on now.  Relaxing a bit since my buddy and his little woman left a bit ago.  No blues for him.  I centered on her again and gave her a nice jam of rock that she was singing along with.

You all in here are much like me.  You love music but to what end of the spectrum do you want to go?  How deep and how much?  Yea, we ALL know the answer to that.  The thing is I had a pair and as a kid I was going to follow my dream.  No way was I not going to live my life without it.  You happy with what you did?  I'm totally happy.  I could have gone farther and deeper but slowed way down for a reason. 

The piece I've put together isn't really much.  Signed print of the Neal Morse Band from their Innocense and Danger tour.   I got, one of Mike Portnoy's signed sticks from last year's Morsefest in Tenn. and one of his "Used and Abused" drum heads.  He's one of the best on the planet imo.  I had to really thunk on how to display it all.  I think I nailed it.  If it helps someone else go for it.  

I'll give you all a heads up now.  The Neal Morse Band and Trans Atlantic are going to surprise a lot of people.  Neal is a genius and the two of us had a great convo standing 6' apart.  I know what he's doing and had to prove it to him.  When I did he was ALL ears.  200 people, small venue?  Amazing and just like the old days.  Last song of the night I got the double heart punch with him pointing directly at me.  Of course I returned it    😂

Two things I wanted in my life I never accomplished.  1.  No one would go to Woodstock with me cause I was nuts everyone said.  2.  I wanted a pair of Gracie's panties for my mirror.   People can say what they want about her but those that met and knew her loved her for who she was as a person and the fact she could kick butt on stage.  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@JohnJ  Dunno about epic.  Just a slice of my life back in the day.  

Today's another tragic day.  First it was Chris Squire and now Alan White has passed this afternoon.   Don't know the details.  He and his wife Gigi were always fun.  Just sad.   Those guys were a hoot together.  Just walked out and nailed it EVERY time.  Sad...

• Thanks 3

On 5/25/2022 at 12:25 AM, Full Range said:

Don’t forget to come back with your impressions of the new cartridge compared to others in the stable 

Well , it´s to early for a shootout from all cartridges but I can give you some statements in a general view if you like. The ADC MK IV isn´t aligned till now

I´ll give them the regual school ratings from 1 > 6

Audio Technica 20SLa = 1- > Extremely musical, very deep yet very clean with beautiful musical flow, Never annoying and yet an extremely good resolution. Excellent all-round system. Plays slightly softer than an AT7V due to extremely high needle compliance. Midrange and spatial reproduction not quite on the level of the Pritchard systems.

Audio Technica AT 7 V= 2+ > This system amazes AT untypical like the AT20Sla, with really good low bass reproduction. Therefore, it can generate to the excellent high tone, also a very good spatial imaging. It sounds very homogeneous and presents even the finest details and structures with a sovereignty that is impressive. Wonderful the space between the instruments, that can so only a MM / MI system. The dynamics is naturally more given with such a hard system than with the extremely yielding AT20Sla. It therefore plays very powerful and clean. Certainly one of the best MM that Audio Technica has produced, apart from the ML180. For the current street price there is nothing better in the weight class....

Grado Prestig Gold II  = 2- > Very high fine resolution, with beautiful and excellent voice reproduction as well as musical flow.  Two actually contradictory characteristics, but here in perfection. Good room imaging automatically goes hand in hand with this. The bass is powerful and deep. Great for pop and rock music.

Grado Reference Platinum Wood = 1- > Wonderful voice reproduction, full of musicality with beautiful resolution and extremely good low bass characteristics. Never annoying, even with very high listening volumes completely without distortion ! Therefore and especially for rock music contrary to all other reports to use....Aber care when mounting. It is extremely sensitive to azimuth and VTA accuracy.  The system must be tilted forward at the front face only to the vertical 90°, otherwise is ash ! Only then you can also set exactly the 1.5p. Otherwise, you must drive higher AK's damít the right again. That is existential with the system. I know also no other which reacts so extremely. Then an otherwise dull grumpy system becomes a fine resolving extremely dynamic low bass fireworks....

Goldring G 900 SE MK II = 1 > A system as one built very rarely. Absolute top system without fault and reproach. On par with a Sonus it does everything right in room imaging. Brachialer low bass with highest precision. Midrange resolution everything from the finest without any sharpness. Musical flow, everything just perfect ! With the also available Shibatanadel, the system also gains the gift, so rarely found in other HiEnd components, to let the space between the instruments become literally tangible. Aart van den Hul's first commissioned work ! Unfortunately also completely unrecognized in the scene, for whatever reason, it makes used just to the true super bargain.

Nagaoka OS300MP = 2 > Very neutral, dynamic with very clean bass and musical flow. Very good spatial imaging. Both in depth and stage width.

OSAWA 301 = 2 + > One of the real top MI systems. The Osawa plays wonderfully dynamic. Resolution is very good. It plays very homogeneous. The room imaging is also good, but does not reach the Pritchard systems. It has a very earthy and down to earth sound. Neutral sounds like boring, it certainly isn't. The bass also reaches deep and is quite clean.

Sonus Gold Blue = 1 > Not the direct successor of the Blue Label, which was replaced by the Dimension 5, in the new system hierarchy only in second place, with a somewhat simpler cantilever and "normally" set diamonds. Sonically, however, very close to the top model Sonus Blue. Needle grind is a modified LineContact.The required AK is between minimum 1.5p to maximum 2.5 p !  Then it plays optimally on light to very light arms.

ADC QLM 30MK III = 2 > a completely underestimated system with an almost unbelievably good resolution and deep bulky bass and beautiful treble. Much more homogeneous and higher resolution than its eternal competitor Shure M75. It has the outstanding three-dimensionality typical of a system from the pen of Peter Pritchard. Which comes across even better here with the spherical needle than with a sharp cut. It has that rare quality of being able to reproduce the space between instruments. But the VTA has to be meticulously tuned in the process. Then it also develops an explosive dynamic. Here you can experience why Peter Pritchard preferred bonded diamonds. Also the extremely small spherical support of a round needle shows here what is physically feasible with it. The heavier the arm, the better it works. From ca.14gr tonearm weight with cutbacks usable. Forget SPUs, DL103 or even a Koetsu, this is by far the best round needle system ever built ! If you were to name a fake price of 2999€ in a real blind test when it runs, everyone would just nod their head in agreement, no question !

ADC XLM (MK II & MK III) = 1- > A paragon of musicality and timbre. Very dynamic. In the bass nice and deep but also not very precise. In the spatial representation almost unmatched. In contrast, almost everything else sounds "left"-"center-right". Resolution not quite as high. Top all-round system. More is not needed for any style of music.

Is this enough for the beginning , wasn´t that easy for me 🤪😁😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

With all the garbage going on in the world today and hearing about Alan I just went to that 7 minute mark in my Red Skelton post over in Paul's Art thread.  Check him out....  He was so onto everything out there in the world...  Spot on, imo.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

With all the garbage going on in the world today and hearing about Alan I just went to that 7 minute mark in my Red Skelton post over in Paul's Art thread.  Check him out....  He was so onto everything out there in the world...  Spot on, imo.

I saw it again as it’s on the money 

First time was on the Art thread 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Well , it´s to early for a shootout from all cartridges but I can give you some statements in a general view if you like. The ADC MK IV isn´t aligned till now

I´ll give them the regual school ratings from 1 > 6

Audio Technica 20SLa = 1- > Extremely musical, very deep yet very clean with beautiful musical flow, Never annoying and yet an extremely good resolution. Excellent all-round system. Plays slightly softer than an AT7V due to extremely high needle compliance. Midrange and spatial reproduction not quite on the level of the Pritchard systems.

Audio Technica AT 7 V= 2+ > This system amazes AT untypical like the AT20Sla, with really good low bass reproduction. Therefore, it can generate to the excellent high tone, also a very good spatial imaging. It sounds very homogeneous and presents even the finest details and structures with a sovereignty that is impressive. Wonderful the space between the instruments, that can so only a MM / MI system. The dynamics is naturally more given with such a hard system than with the extremely yielding AT20Sla. It therefore plays very powerful and clean. Certainly one of the best MM that Audio Technica has produced, apart from the ML180. For the current street price there is nothing better in the weight class....

Grado Prestig Gold II  = 2- > Very high fine resolution, with beautiful and excellent voice reproduction as well as musical flow.  Two actually contradictory characteristics, but here in perfection. Good room imaging automatically goes hand in hand with this. The bass is powerful and deep. Great for pop and rock music.

Grado Reference Platinum Wood = 1- > Wonderful voice reproduction, full of musicality with beautiful resolution and extremely good low bass characteristics. Never annoying, even with very high listening volumes completely without distortion ! Therefore and especially for rock music contrary to all other reports to use....Aber care when mounting. It is extremely sensitive to azimuth and VTA accuracy.  The system must be tilted forward at the front face only to the vertical 90°, otherwise is ash ! Only then you can also set exactly the 1.5p. Otherwise, you must drive higher AK's damít the right again. That is existential with the system. I know also no other which reacts so extremely. Then an otherwise dull grumpy system becomes a fine resolving extremely dynamic low bass fireworks....

Goldring G 900 SE MK II = 1 > A system as one built very rarely. Absolute top system without fault and reproach. On par with a Sonus it does everything right in room imaging. Brachialer low bass with highest precision. Midrange resolution everything from the finest without any sharpness. Musical flow, everything just perfect ! With the also available Shibatanadel, the system also gains the gift, so rarely found in other HiEnd components, to let the space between the instruments become literally tangible. Aart van den Hul's first commissioned work ! Unfortunately also completely unrecognized in the scene, for whatever reason, it makes used just to the true super bargain.

Nagaoka OS300MP = 2 > Very neutral, dynamic with very clean bass and musical flow. Very good spatial imaging. Both in depth and stage width.

OSAWA 301 = 2 + > One of the real top MI systems. The Osawa plays wonderfully dynamic. Resolution is very good. It plays very homogeneous. The room imaging is also good, but does not reach the Pritchard systems. It has a very earthy and down to earth sound. Neutral sounds like boring, it certainly isn't. The bass also reaches deep and is quite clean.

Sonus Gold Blue = 1 > Not the direct successor of the Blue Label, which was replaced by the Dimension 5, in the new system hierarchy only in second place, with a somewhat simpler cantilever and "normally" set diamonds. Sonically, however, very close to the top model Sonus Blue. Needle grind is a modified LineContact.The required AK is between minimum 1.5p to maximum 2.5 p !  Then it plays optimally on light to very light arms.

ADC QLM 30MK III = 2 > a completely underestimated system with an almost unbelievably good resolution and deep bulky bass and beautiful treble. Much more homogeneous and higher resolution than its eternal competitor Shure M75. It has the outstanding three-dimensionality typical of a system from the pen of Peter Pritchard. Which comes across even better here with the spherical needle than with a sharp cut. It has that rare quality of being able to reproduce the space between instruments. But the VTA has to be meticulously tuned in the process. Then it also develops an explosive dynamic. Here you can experience why Peter Pritchard preferred bonded diamonds. Also the extremely small spherical support of a round needle shows here what is physically feasible with it. The heavier the arm, the better it works. From ca.14gr tonearm weight with cutbacks usable. Forget SPUs, DL103 or even a Koetsu, this is by far the best round needle system ever built ! If you were to name a fake price of 2999€ in a real blind test when it runs, everyone would just nod their head in agreement, no question !

ADC XLM (MK II & MK III) = 1- > A paragon of musicality and timbre. Very dynamic. In the bass nice and deep but also not very precise. In the spatial representation almost unmatched. In contrast, almost everything else sounds "left"-"center-right". Resolution not quite as high. Top all-round system. More is not needed for any style of music.

Is this enough for the beginning , wasn´t that easy for me 🤪😁😂

That's an amazing write up!

When I Google for them, I mostly find 'replacement needles' or 'ersatz nadel'. I guess you're writing about the originals, right? 

• Like 2