Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Well, I 've just wasted half an hour of my life figuring out why the left channel was lower in volume than the right channel. 

1. Opened and checked the Left speaker. All was fine. 

2. Swapped L and R speakers. Now the volume in the r channel is low. Swapped them back. 

3. Open my Leben tube amp. Replaced the preamp tubes. No change. 

4. Replaced the 4 EL84 powertubes. No change. 

5. Panic: 'My amp needs a service.' 

6. Keep calm. I tell myself. 

7. I ask Mr Google "Why is my left channel lower in volume than the right channel." First search result: "Most likely it is the input device." Huh? 

8. I change input from Streaming device to CD Player. Volume in both channels the same! Yes! 

9. I pull out power plug streamer and reboot the Streamer. 

10. Problem solved!!! 

Lesson learned: when volume in one channel is lower, your first step should be to check the input device... 😳

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Supply/demand, popularity/critical acclaim also.

Have seen LPs for hundreds and they aren't even new.

Back when I was a teen the same ones were under $10.

Hysteria? Leave it there. High & Dry? Don't hesitate!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Supply/demand, popularity/critical acclaim also.

Have seen LPs for hundreds and they aren't even new.

Back when I was a teen the same ones were under $10.

Hysteria? Leave it there. High & Dry? Don't hesitate!

True...I can see Metallica's Master of Puppets sky rocketing because of the featured scene in Strange Things but Def Leppard has been pretty quite lately!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Paul that might be their most interesting release! It surprised me the most and I have most of their early ones.

A couple of years ago I purchased a vinyl collection of about 80 / 90 records and that was part of that haul 

• Like 2

Back in the 1980s, Dire Straits was hugely popular, and for me their first 4 or 5 albums were/are the best: Dire Straits (epinominous), Making Movies, Communique, and Telegraph Road, and then their live album Alchemy. Knopfler also had brought out soundtracks like 'Local Hero' and 'Cal'. By the time Brothers in Arms came out, they were so huge, filling stadiums, and I always thought that album was very polished and 'commercial', without rough edges - though the lyrics are a mixed bag, with a lot of sarcasm, eg 'Why worry' and 'Money for nothing'.

In my pretty complete collection, I have one album not on vinyl, but on CD: Telegraph Road. Back then, I had it on cassette tape - the tape that introduced me to Dire Straits - and I found it so good that I promised myself this one I would buy on CD. Well, I eventually did  in... 2018.

The thing is, that historically, Telegraph Road was one of the first commercially available CDs. It did come out on vinyl, and so did Brothers in Arms, but back then, the hype was Digital and CD, not analog and vinyl... So I always find it kind of funny when people, myself included, post pictures of Brothers in Arms on vinyl, because when it came out, it was all about the digital quality!

PSX_20220720_115704.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On being stupid -or- How things should not be done...

So I´ve got my two TTs. I started noticing that the 1218 (Shure M91 MG-D, after-market spherical stylus) produced terrible hissing sounds, in particular on one record (Spandau Ballet - Through the Barricades). I took the system off and placed it on my 1214, same hiss. 

Now, instead of hooking both players up to my small system (the little Yamaha), or just the 1214 with the M91, I would have noticed the hiss still being the same, but less so with a eliptical stylus and different LP or the M75.

Instead I was fixed on there being something wrong with the 1218. I tried different settings with tracking-force and anti-skating, no luck. I checked the Azimuth of the tone-arm head, wich was a bit off, still no joy. So, somehow it never came to my mind that the stylus was bad... No, I started messing with the tone-arm bearings. Result: One ball took the great bounce, never to be seen again.

Luckily a member of the Dual Forum sends me a hand full of these bearing-balls for free, but I will still have to fine-tune that arm again...

I read about after-market styluses having a 50/50 percent chance of working or not, but I was stupid instead... 🙃😉

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Sorry I haven’t posted for a week or so 

But I have time tonight for some Prog in the style of 

Jazz, Rock, Fusion, Avantgarde

The La Scalas just love reproducing complex music 

One Size Fits all is probably one of the more serious mothers album of the 70s period, since it gives a bigger than usual space to instrumental music with less of the scatological humour

Artist - Frank Zappa And The Mothers Of Invention

Title – One Size Fits All

B2-E21-D8-F-9307-4-D81-912-D-549-CB1-EA0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4