Klipsch Rears

MikeGinIllinois

Hi.

I posted some pictures in another thread here but I'm reposting them because now I'm looking at rear speakers. My setup is shown. My fronts are Cornwall II's and my surrounds (not pictured) are Synergies. My amp is an HK AVR7200. As you can see I don't have any place to put rears except the ceiling. So, I called Crutchfield and they suggested either the Klipsch-R-2650-C or the Polk RC80i. Both have adjustable tweeters so you can redirect the sound.

Has anyone used either of these as rears in a drop ceiling or otherwise? What did you think?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714R2650C2/Klipsch-R-2650-C-II.html?search=714r2650c2&skipvs=T

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RC80I/Polk-Audio-RC80i.html?search=107rc80i&skipvs=T

Thank you!

Mike Gallery

Bull Valley, IL

k1.jpg

k4..jpg

Yes, I can aim the tweeter which makes the speaker more versatile.  Mines are up in a tile ceiling also and were very easy to install.  All you need is an exacto knife and screw driver.  Just error on the side of to small a hole and use the template that comes with the speaker.  You don't need to make a box or do anything special.  These speaker are made to operate in this type of space.  There are a lot of us near Chicago, where are you?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of Klipsch CDT-2800-C II Ceiling speakers for my rears. The first picture shows a picture of one out of the box.
Right away I recognized I could not handle the installation myself. My ceiling tiles had enough room for the speakers but the removal of the tiles was difficult due to the closeness of the tiles to the ceiling joists. This is a high ceiling. So, I called in my great handyman for help.
Picture 2 shows how he took one square tile, cut half of it out, and put in white drywall to mount the speaker. The rear on the right required that the speaker be a bit under crown molding by the back cabinet. Hardly any of the speaker is blocked. It's fine.

The tweeters and woofers are both movable. I think that helps direct sound in the right direction.
The final picture show the rear of the room with the hard to see rear speakers. I have the white magnetic covers on them. They are really quite discrete.

Adding these rears and reprogramming my HK AVR-7200 to send sound out through the rears as well as fronts and surrounds really made a difference in the sound. The stereo imaging in front suddenly became 3 dimensional. The whole home theater surround sound effect is much more pronounced. And because these Klipsch's are so efficient they really make an important contribution to the sound makeup of the system.

Thanks, as always, for the help I got out here.

MIke Gallery
Bull Valley, Illinois

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

k4.jpg

• Like 1