Heresy II for $550.00

The ad is as follows below, I'm very interested but worried about the work he had performed on them to make them more like the Heresy I's which as I am told are a bit brighter. Thoughts on the price at $525.00. Are the II's warmer even with the modification performed?

A fine pair of Klipsch speakers. . .. . ...I rocked these things for over twenty five years and they are fully inspected, repaired, and present to kick your ***. Klipsch KLiP circuitry installed to cut/roll off higher frequency output (-10 dB @ full power) to more closely match the original Pre-1985 Heresy product and accommodate digitally produced sound in a more harnessed manner. Developed by the engineering department at Klipsch, this modification produced results that were noticeably improved, and these speakers sound excellent.

Fresh set of high frequency horn diaphragm drivers
12" woofer drivers re-coned
Consecutive Serial Numbers
Manufacturer Sales Literature and Owners Manual
Original cartons and packaging

$525 or best offer.

Frequency Response: 63Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB 
SENSITIVITY: 97dB @ 1watt/1meter 
POWER HANDLING: 100 w max continuous (400 w peak) 
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 114dB SPL 
MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 114dB SPL 
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms 
TWEETER: K-76-K 1" (2.54cm) Polyetherimide diaphragm compression driver 
MIDRANGE: K-53-K 1.75" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver 
MID FREQUENCY HORN: Exponential Horn 
WOOFER: K-24-K 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone 
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF: 6000Hz 
LF: 700Hz 
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF 
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Sealed 
DIMENSIONS: 21.375" (54.29cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) x 13.25" (33.66cm) 
WEIGHT: 37 lbs. (16.8kg) 

16 hours ago, KlipschHead281 said:

The ad is as follows below, I'm very interested but worried about the work he had performed on them to make them more like the Heresy I's which as I am told are a bit brighter. Thoughts on the price at $525.00. Are the II's warmer even with the modification performed?

There are lots of Heresy I's & II's out there available for sale... Based on that ad alone, it sounds like that pair has had a rough life. And you'd be better off looking for another pair that is all original and hasn't had any "work" done to them.

Also, I've never heard of the "Klipsch KLIP circuitry" (sounds made up to me)... and if that's the name someone slapped on their own crossover mods, there's no telling what was done to them.  I've owned Heresy I's and II's and there's no need to roll off the high frequencies on either model, as they sound very similar.

For $400-500, you can find yourself a nice, original pair of Heresy, either I or II, in very good condition. LISTEN TO THEM FIRST, and then if you decide to refurbish the crossovers or install new tweeter diaphragms, give Bob Crites (www.critesspeakers.com) a call. He's a trusted source and can sell you the correct parts and/or do the work for you.

• Like 1

Only the most abused and hammered Heresies would need new diaphragms in both the squawker and tweeter, never mind the woofer.  Stay AWAY! 

The KLiP circuit was a pair of zener diodes in series and then paralleled with the tweeter in Type AA crossovers, used in the Khorn, Belle and La Scala.  It shorted out when the voltage got too high, to protect the tweeter.  Sounds nasty when it does.  I have disconnected mine. See thhhhdiodes and metal plate above the "SCH". 

IMG_1360.JPG

prices on ebay have been around 650-700. i sold a nice pair of 2s a couple weeks ago locally for 500 and had 7 emails within 3-4 days with full price offers. they aren't easy speakers to buy at the lower end of going rate

that said, i don't see any details in any of these posts on what has been done? if you need new crossovers that could be time and money searching ebay. if the diaphrams have been replaced are they with crites or some chineese no name? all aftermarket besides crites as far as i know have had no testing done and won't take the power of OE

cabinet condition and woofer condition are what i would be looking for. crossovers and new diaphragms aren't hard to do but cost is everything. i don't think a fixer pair is worth 500 and most importantly if the cabinets are dinged up don't buy them at all when you resell nice audio gear it's really hard to move beat up equipment  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, racebum said:

that said, i don't see any details in any of these posts on what has been done? if you need new crossovers that could be time and money searching ebay. if the diaphrams have been replaced are they with crites or some chineese no name? all aftermarket besides crites as far as i know have had no testing done and won't take the power of OE

I don't see a problem with parts, Crites can have x-overs to you real fast. He also has any other part you need.

I needed to make some changes to my home system and debated this question just 2 weeks ago - Should I buy New, Used or Rebuild. The answer came down to more than just the speaker. I did not want to spend for a new pair, I had already spent too much setting up this new system. Used, I know me, I would want to rip into them and start changing out parts and of course, there's the cabinet condition issue. I decided to find a nice pair of Cabinets on E-Bay and do a complete rebuild, This might be a bit more expensive but I'd know what I was getting. I was also looking at the expense of the cabinets from the furniture, and let's keep the wife happy, aspect.

So, I just did the complete Heresy I rebuild. The project was more expensive than buying a used pair but I now have a NEW and UPDATED pair of speakers, that should be able to hold their own against new ones. Drivers and X-Overs came from Crites, all received within a couple days of order. Wire, 5-way binding posts, speaker gaskets were found on Amazon. The Cabinets were immaculate and assembly took an afternoon.
The only thing missing is the Klipsch logo plaque, not sure what I'll do about this.

Klipsch%20Heresy%20edited_zpsx1xuoi8q.jp

Klipsch%20Heresy%20with%20Grills_zpsajzo

• Like 1

I personally would not pay $550 unless they were in pristine shape and original, or maybe if they had known upgrades like Crites crossovers, etc. The seller's sales pitch alone would turn me off of these.

I didn't even pay $550 for my Forte IIs in almost perfect condition. Paid $400 for 1980's Heresy Is about 10 years ago, also in great shape and all original.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not paying anything close to 500 for heresys... they are a 275-425 speaker, that's it IMHO. If the only example I can find is 500-550, I am buying cornwalls... frankly, I would buy cornwalls anyway.