Boa, I know I have beat this horse to death, but...

m00n

oh, butt shakers. that's good to know. that's actually the 1st 8 input/output amp i've seen. gives you a lot of flexibility, especially w/ the 2 bridging modes.

i have cornwalls for surrounds & they work great. lots of bass back there in a lot of dvds these days. remember 5.1-7.1 are 5-7 full range channels. & 7 channel stereo mode is great w/ full range to all speaks that can handle it. or in my case down to 50hz then filtering off to the sub w/ the flexible bass mgmt in the prepro.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-19-2002 at 01:11 AM

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, but wouldn't that make my RS-7s almost seem pointless? They would seem so teensie weensie. Hell where would it stop. I would end up having to exchange my RS-7s for RF-7's... Then whats the point of my RC-7... Would have to replace that with a RF-7 also...

Actually, when I get my RSW-15, I was thinking about moving one of the subs to the back. Not sure which though. Would you want the 15 or the 12 up front?

I called a local authorized dealer today. For 2 RC-7s and a RSW-15 package deal he quoted me $2600.00

That taps me out for about a month. I would not have any dead presidents for my amp.... I need to decide what to wait on. Do I hold off on the sub, or do I hold off on one of the RC-7's. Most likely I will hold off on the sub. I figure, I still need to buy speaker wire and all that which will cost a bit of money.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Harman Kardon DVD-50(DD, DTS)

VIDEO: InFocus ScreenPlay DLP Projector

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOX with Monster cable for that 5.1 Dolby Digitial surroundc>

f>

Watched a double header earlier tonight and during intermission I noticed my rear KSP300's were unplugged (storm-thanks honey). I HAD thought earlier that something didn't sound just right, but chalked the sound up to the fact that the movie was DD.

My rear KSP300's are set up as Q-man described and contribute greatly to the overall sound, as boa pointed out. In fact, Q-man's rec regarding a pair of full ranger's AND WDST's is what I have in my HT. All this babbling just to say I too think that big rears are sexy. Oh, and the full range rears are nice too!

Keith

PS- the second movie sounded much better.It was DD too.

that's the trouble w/ those darn budgets. Smile.gif horned would definitely support 7 rf-7 all around. must say he makes a great point. only thing i'd add though is some bass mgmt flexibility so those big speaks aren't cut starting at 80 or 90hz.

get the extra sub 1st. you need the amp before you can run the rc-7 as rear surround anyway.

think you definitely want the 15 in the front, & maybe the 12 up there too beside it or stacked on top. sub placement is tricky w/ room, set-up, tastes varying.

but since you will be setting all small w/ an 80hz cross, bet you'll find putting the subs together in or near the same optimal corner will do you best.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

When you say full range, what does that mean? Are the RC-7's full range?

Another option would be 1 RC-7 as a matrixed rear, amp and RSW-15 now, and wait on the other RC-7....

I am kinda suprised you would suggest getting the sub first... I have had other in the theater and they think I am crazy for wanting another sub.

Problem is, I have nothing to compair any of the three sinarios too, to know what I would like best for the meantime.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

f>

sorry, don't know the prices. if you can get the amp & 1 rc-7 then that's the way to go 1st. then see how that works.

you have to have an amp whether you get 1 or 2 rear surround. you just hook up the amp to the (probably left) rear surround preout then the rc-7 rear center to the amp. then you tell the hk 520 you have only one rear surround & it does the rest. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa ya I understand that I need an amp. My first reaction was that I would just get all the speakes now considering the good price, then get the amp later. Ya, know the Kain trick. Get your speakers now even though you can't run them cuase ya have nothing to run them with icon12.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

f>

Moon, if you haven't decided, just remember. The purpose of all the speakers is to deliver the sound processed by the receiver to the LISTENING POSITION.

Go to that center, look around where you want the speakers to be and envision what a balanced soundfield must have (by way of speaker array) to deliver that sound to that spot.

One set of dipoles seems necessary. But you may want a more directional delivery from a more forward (ie., second set of rear surrounds) array. A set of RC7's more forward might blend with the RC7 (for the DTS ES)rear center to produce a superb soundstage.

Will your dealor let you borrow an extra set to try?

We needs must love the highest when we hear it!

Boa... I found out that YES the h/k 520 DOES allow you to reassing channels.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

f>

m00n, you sure? if that's the case then you would hook the rear surround(s) to the fronts terminals on the hk 520 & then use the fronts preouts to amp to rf-7. but

but seems strange the back of the hk 520 doesn't have the fronts terminals labeled as so. also, i glanced at the hk 520 manual & it didn't look like it.

who told you, an HK techie. wouldn't take them as gospel.

there ought to be some 520 owners on here that can tell us if the 520 has amp designation to use a power amp for fronts or fronts & center & the HK 520 amp will then drive the rear surround. anybody???

if i'm wrong then that's a great feature for you. get a quality 2 channel or 3 channel amp for the front array & just use the 520 for driving the surround. & it looks like you're getting feature fever. Wink.gif you just need to find out what the 520 can really do.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Here is a thread I started at the Home Theater Forum

Boa, don't be offended because I asked some of the same questions I had asked you... Was not that I doubted you, but rather confusion on my part.cwm6.gifcwm1.gif

Anyway, Jim said it can be done, but with jumpers.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

f>

rick, you said "surround" so i don't think jim knows you're talking about rear surround. surround & rear surround are different.

the assigning for rear surround/effects has to be done inside the 520. it has to route that signal to another set of speaker terminals on the 520 - the fronts. like the denon 4800 will do.

suggest that you find someone here that's running rear surround w/ the 520 or knows the 520 well. or call HK tech support & make sure the person knows what they're talking about. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Ok Boa... Thanks for all your help man!

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

f>

Justin... I doubt it. I am hard headed sometimes cwm6.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

f>

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

i'm not against using rs-7 for the side surround & for a long room sounds like another set of rs-7 would be best.

Boa, how far appart should the two sets of RS-7s be?

Also I want to add that I will be buying some form of cloth to drape the walls with. Most likely a black felt. Also when I drape the walls, the material will NOT be laying flat on the walls, but rather along the top of the wall, I will be putting up wavy slats to give the felt a wavy pattern.

The reason reason i want to add a second set of side surrounds along with a rear channel is because as I have said, I have a long room, thus I can easily have 2 rows of seats with a few feet of space between them. I just want everyone to have good surround affects. It's a drag sitting behind the surrounds becuase you loose so much of the affect.

Damn boy... Rather than all this chit chat, why don't you just fly yourself out here for a few days. cwm1.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 09-21-2002 at 02:53 PM

m00n, now you're back to 2 sets of side surrounds? Confused.gif hard to say w/o some experimentation, but because they'll be putting out the exact same signal on each side, i wouldn't want them too far apart.

are you going to have rows of seats away from the screen or something? Smile.gif you may then want to go with direct-type like the rc-7 like in movie houses.

really, the whole idea of rs-7 wdst-type is you should only need 1 pair on the side walls then the rear

surround(s) direct type like rc-7 anchor the dispersed sound together in the rear. plus i'd want direct types back there for the flyover effect w/ es/ex & especially any es 6.1 discrete.

actually, my mom lives right by seatac airport, but looks like i won't be coming for Xmas. she's getting away to the south of CA or mexico. Frown.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Ya so boa.

Here is what I am shooting for. 4 surrounds AND one or two rears.

I am picking up my RSW-15 and RC-7 this Monday. I was thinking that I could also pick up an additional set of RS-7 while I am there.

Yes, I have two rows of seats, and I want both rows to get good surrounds. Would you say that 4-5 feet appart would be too far or two close together for RS-7s? Or would you HIGHLY recommend that if I want 4 surrounds, I wait and get 4 RC-7s and then hmmm sell my existing RS-7s?

Sea-Tac eh? I would say that is about a 3.5 hour drive one way from my modest abode.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys