Does magnet weight matter?

Maximus89

I had a blown driver in a Klipsch RC-7 center channel.  So since it is old and rarely comes up for sale(there's 1 right now in horrible shape), I searched reconingspeakers.com for the original K-1083-SV woofer which linked me to newer, which again linked me to a newer which again linked me to the latest due to the others being obsolete.  The other previous woofers all had notes regarding the comparison to the original K-1083 woofer saying that it was the same exact thing minus different dust cap.  The newest had no notes but was still the latest link for the RC-7.

I messaged them to make sure. They told me it's pretty much the same woofer still minus magnetic shielding, different dust cap and slightly different in color.  It is the RF-82 II woofer.

I just weighed my single original K-1083(though not very accurately) and it weighed 8lbs alone.  The package I am waiting to arrive is in total 13lbs.  So I saw that the magnet in the new one is much smaller.

Doesn't that mean it is worse/cheaper?  I've always assumed more magnet weight=better.

Won't this big weight change totally effect the factory specs of the Klipsch RC-7 and for the worse?

Newer magnets could be Neo, they could be pushing N60, and older ones barely made N5, in fact nowadays N40-52 neo magnets are cheaper than the old ceramic or alnico. Alnico grade 8 is max, a neo starts in the high 30's. Very easy and very cheap to get them in the 50's.

Manufacturing processes are also superior nowadays resulting in tighter and truer VC gaps.

So you may be getting a better product - more spl and more clarity.

However will it match you other component, and will it match the pair. That's the bigger concern.

Cool.

Srinath.

Just received a message in response to my same question. 

They said it is the lack of magnetic shielding that makes it so much lighter and that it is my only option to repairing the RC-7 and it should, in their opinion, work beautifully as they have compared and tested.

I suppose my only option is to test them.  They sure do look more aesthetically pleasing compared to the older darker cerametallic and black dust cap!

18 minutes ago, Srinath said:

However will it match you other component, and will it match the pair. That's the bigger concern

I ordered a matching pair because I didn't want two mismatching woofers with plans to put the functioning original K-1083 up on eBay to recoup some of my funds for the new woofers.

• Like 3

Maybe a stupid question, but my new woofers just arrived and as I'm excitedly installing I realize I can't get them going just yet as the terminals are too small for the new woofer.  

Please don't tell me my only option is to solder. I don't know how and I don't want to spend another penny on this speaker which has been a money pit for me ever since I got screwed with purchasing it from eBay with a blown woofer and having to sand and refinish the cabinet only to still have all the deep gouges show through. 

Tell me this is an easy fix I can do right now and not have to wait another week for something more to ship. 

11 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

Actually, the horizontal centers were designed to have tvs placed on them. A towel, or cloth mat to protect it from scratching and you're good to go;

Good to know! 

Next up! To sell the original K-1083-SV woofer for some funds and then see if I can get a hold of DeanG for his RC-7 crossover upgrade if he is still around anywhere. 

49 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Finally ready to give it a test but no idea where to place it. TV on top of it would be a big no-no I assume?

If you get interference with your TV due to the lower magnetic shielding of your new woofers and the close proximity to your TV, then consider using this to further shield your woofers internally around their periphery on their rear sides.  It may not stop the magnetic interference, but it will likely reduce it significantly:

https://www.amazon.com/MuMETAL-Magnetic-Shielding-Thick-Sheet/dp/B017ABLYRO

Chris

7 minutes ago, Chris A said:

If you get interference with your TV due to the lower magnetic shielding of your new woofers and the close proximity to your TV, then consider using this to further shield your woofers internally around their periphery on their rear sides.  It may not stop the magnetic interference, but it will likely reduce it significantly:

https://www.amazon.com/MuMETAL-Magnetic-Shielding-Thick-Sheet/dp/B017ABLYRO

Chris

Is that still a thing with newer LED TVs?

Any electronics will be affected by external B fields if they are strong enough.  The reason why Klipsch put that extra material around the woofer assembly magnetic circuit is due to the stray magnetic fields that the woofers will create under high SPL conditions and the loudspeaker's typical close proximity to the TV. 

Note that the recommendation is only if you have an issue.  You may not run your center loud enough and position it close enough to your TV for there to be any significant issues.

Chris

• Like 1

On 3/11/2017 at 1:34 PM, Maximus89 said:

Good to know! 

Next up! To sell the original K-1083-SV woofer for some funds and then see if I can get a hold of DeanG for his RC-7 crossover upgrade if he is still around anywhere. 

Maximus89 - Have you already listed your original K-1083-SV woofer? I am in need of a replacement woofer for my RF-3 II. PM me if you haven't put it up on eBay yet.

Woofer was destroyed in the middle of the night by my 1 year old puppy.

IMG_0210.JPG

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Freshman said:

Maximus89 - Have you already listed your original K-1083-SV woofer? I am in need of a replacement woofer for my RF-3 II. PM me if you haven't put it up on eBay yet.

Woofer was destroyed in the middle of the night by my 1 year old puppy.

PM sent