What floorstanding speakers to pair with R-115SW - RP280Fs or RF 82IIs

JacksonThirteen

New to the Forums...and new to Klipsch.

I found a great deal on the R-115SW so I took the plunge. I've been considering the RP-280Fs and can get a decent deal on them for $419 each (I think that's a good deal). However, I also have looked at the RF82 IIs that are going for $240 each. I've read that the 280s are big improvement over the 82 IIs, and I personally like the aesthetics of the Reference Premiere line more than the older Reference Series. That said, I have an idea of what I would really like to do, which is patiently wait to purchase the 280s. 

Would I be missing out on a lot if I went with the RF 82 IIs since I can fit them into my budget more quickly? I've listened to both at a local Fry's but the not all factors were the same (one set was setup on a stereo receiver and the other was setup to a 7.2 audio/video receiver). The 280s in the 7.2 setup sounded a bit harsher than I would have liked, but I wasn't able to make any audio adjustments during listening. On the other hand, the stereo setup with the 82IIs was crisp and reproduced the audio as I expected.

Any experience you can share would be greatly appreciated... 

Edited by JacksonThirteen
Updating Title

JacksonThirteen,

Welcome to the forum.

If you are close, I would suggest you just get this total package.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/169317-fs-klipsch-rf-63-rc-62-rs-52-1200-plainfield-il/

If that does not suite you or too far away, then if patient, wait on a better deal with the 280's, if not the RF-82II's for $480.00 is a rocking deal.  Oh, they sound awesome too.

Bill

3 hours ago, JacksonThirteen said:

New to the Forums...and new to Klipsch.

I found a great deal on the R-115SW so I took the plunge. I've been considering the RP-280Fs and can get a decent deal on them for $419 each (I think that's a good deal). However, I also have looked at the RF82 IIs that are going for $240 each. I've read that the 280s are big improvement over the 82 IIs, and I personally like the aesthetics of the Reference Premiere line more than the older Reference Series. That said, I have an idea of what I would really like to do, which is patiently wait to purchase the 280s. 

Would I be missing out on a lot if I went with the RF 82 IIs since I can fit them into my budget more quickly? I've listened to both at a local Fry's but the not all factors were the same (one set was setup on a stereo receiver and the other was setup to a 7.2 audio/video receiver). The 280s in the 7.2 setup sounded a bit harsher than I would have liked, but I wasn't able to make any audio adjustments during listening. On the other hand, the stereo setup with the 82IIs was crisp and reproduced the audio as I expected.

Any experience you can share would be greatly appreciated... 

Audio just does not move that fast so, the big improvement part  for actual in home use is subjective.  Bill posted the RF 63 system  which would be Kick butt yesterday and today in terms of audio quality and sound.  The past generation Reference stuff is great and hard to beat, many have tired.

Congrats on your purchase.

Since you are close to a Frys I suggest to wait for the RC62ii center speaker to go on sale again for $130. That is a great price (buying new for cheaper than a used one) and it will work well with the RF82's.  

On 3/16/2017 at 6:05 PM, JacksonThirteen said:

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and purchased the 82ii's. Still testing a variety of music sources plus some gaming, but so far it has been a great addition to the home audio setup. 

Now I'll be looking for a center channel that will fit well...

Jump on this deal on the RC-62II now.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/169563-rs-62iis-sw-311-sw-310-rc-62ii-onkyo-tx-nr838-sw-115/

hey guys. long time lurker, first time poster. located just south of atlanta in the hampton/mcdonough area. I'm moving so i have to sell:

1) 4 (yup 4) rs-62iis (250 each)

2) 1 only tx-nr838 (400)

3) 1 sw-311 (300)

4) 1 sw-310 (200)

5) 1 rc-62ii center (100)

6) 1 sw-115 (500)

Bill