Forum Music Trivia Contest

thebes

On 3/14/2017 at 3:30 PM, CECAA850 said:

I was thinking Thriller.

I must be forgetting to hit the submit button, cause I thought I posted about this time last night, that you are a

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIner!!!!!!

Something like 47 million in actual sales, according to Wikki, making it the number selling lp in American history.  The weird thing is a "Meatloaf" album is credited as number 5, so I suspect more research on Wikki's part is needed.

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Schu said:

Here... this will break the silence.

Two great guitarists working together in a absolutely jamming rendition of FZ's muffin man. Classic Belew style in support of a ripping FZ.

FZ discovered Belew working in Nashville and immediately scooped him up for studio and tour duties in the 1970's.

You might notice in the clip that Frank discovered... terri Bozzio from the missing persons

Zappa was ALSO one of the best jazz electric bassists ever!  And he was additionally on one of my favorite posters of all time:

Phi Zappa Krappa.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, CECAA850 said:

Cool.

Might take me a bit to think up a question. 

OK, a double Pink Floyd question.

1) Who bought Roger Waters his first guitar?

Extra credit question?

Who was Pink Floyds first lead guitar player?  Prior to Pink Floyd he played in Sigma 6, Tea Set and the Pink Floyd Sound.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

OK, a double Pink Floyd question.

1) Who bought Roger Waters his first guitar?

Extra credit question?

Who was Pink Floyds first lead guitar player?  Prior to Pink Floyd he played in Sigma 6, Tea Set and the Pink Floyd Sound.

His Mom did, that's why he wrote the line in the song Welcome to the Machine, a guitar to punish your ma.

Hi name was Bob Kloss (sp) he was a friend of Gilmores, even played on Gilmore's album On an Island

2 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

His Mom did, that's why he wrote the line in the song Welcome to the Machine, a guitar to punish your ma.

Hi name was Bob Kloss (sp) he was a friend of Gilmores, even played on Gilmore's album Like a River

Ding Ding Ding!   Ironic that his mother actually bought it for him.

I believe Waters said of Klose that he was the best musician the band ever had.

21 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Ding Ding Ding!   Ironic that his mother actually bought it for him.

I believe Waters said of Klose that he was the best musician the band ever had.

Cool. I wonder if Waters said that before Gilmour joined the band?

Like their music, but damn if I know anything abut them. Alan Parsons?  Maybe? Am I right about that?

Anyway as a placeholder, most popular single by sales, and the runner up.

On 3/14/2017 at 0:21 PM, hsosdrummer said:

Highest sales of a single album title? Isn't that Eagles Greatest Hits (or the equivalent if the title is different)?

Zeppelin 4, has surpassed thriller. Greatest hits should not count, it's not a single album. It's a collection of hit songs over a long period of time...

On 3/14/2017 at 0:37 AM, Ceptorman said:

Tony Iommi smashed a finger while working in a factory just before Black Sabbath took off. His adjusted guitar playing gave Sabbath their distinctive sound.

Is everyone refraining from using Google?

Toni's, middle and ring finger got caught in a blade that cuts sheet metal. It sliced the ends off. He melted a squeegee bottle down and made tips to form to his fingers, and placed leather over them so he could grip the strings. He tells the story in " The Last Supper " DVD of Sabbath's reunion concerts in 1999-2000. I highly recommend it, it's fantastic !!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Amendment 1

If the game reasonably appears to have gone stale, a player does not have to win in order to post a new challenge.

Who was the drummer whose bass drum lick was copied and made famous by Led Zeppelin's John Bonham in "Good Times, Bad Times?"

Carmine Appice, towards the end of Vanilla Fudge's version of "You Keep Me Hangin' On".

• Like 2

I'm late to the game, can we just post a challenge any time?  How about some 90's.  At one time in the early 90's, Bass Player magazine ranked Les Claypool and Flea to be the top two players out there.  The question is... what two instruments did they primarily play and love before picking up the bass guitar?