Adding Altec horns To My Heresy's

Sunrayjack12

I am a vintage speaker guy, I love my Altecs and JBL's but also my Khorns and heresy also.

I have been thinking about adding  Altec 811 horns and drivers to my heresy's.

Last night I did just that not knowing how it would turn out, man what a surprise I got.

Those Altec horns gave the little Heresy's a big boy sound with a clear crisp mid range that is a delight to listen too.

I really liked them before but for me something was just missing the 811's solved that.

This can be done with the addition of one 3/16 hole in the back panel to route wires to the horn on top of the speaker cabinet.

Just disconnect the internal mid range horn and add a new wire from the screw terminal to the new horn, very simple and reversible operation.

I will be painting these horns and making them a permanent addition to my Heresy's now, for the record the horns have 806a drivers.

• Like 2

have you played with aligning your mid driver diaphragm with the woofer voice coil? have you experimented with running the mid horn vertical rather than horizontal? Have fun, great to have another experimenter on the forum. my first commercial loudspeaker was a set of Altec A7 with the 811B, long time ago. moray james.

ps: I have a set of JBL L200B and the mid trumpet/driver is exceptional, would make a much nicer fit in a Heresy cabinet. a two way Heresy makes more sense to me than a three way does.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moray james said:

have you played with aligning your mid driver diaphragm with the woofer voice coil? have you experimented with running the mid horn vertical rather than horizontal? Have fun, great to have another experimenter on the forum. my first commercial loudspeaker was a set of Altec A7 with the 811B, long time ago. moray james.

ps: I have a set of JBL L200B and the mid trumpet/driver is exceptional, would make a much nicer fit in a Heresy cabinet. a two way Heresy makes more sense to me than a three way does.

I have thought about a vertical horn rather than horizontal but it makes no sense that it would sound better with the sound spread  beaming narrower.

But it is easy to try it so I guess I will have to try it.

I find great pleasure in experimenting with speakers and crossovers, I build cabinets and use available crossovers and components, I have a 14x14 bedroom I turned into my  HIFI storage / store room.

Mostly Altec horns ,drivers low and hi freq. , some receivers ,amps and complete speakers, the house is full of stereos and speakers, I am single with a two fifteen year old kids and I also home school them.

We are always swapping music ,speakers and amps around in this house, they have both already laid claim to their favorite speakers when I am gone like a bad tube.

No tv or video games, just stereos ,music and a projector with a  screen for net flix old movies and concert dvd's.

I have not tried aligning the diaphragm and woofer voice coil, I have read about it, does it make a noticeable improvement?

• Like 1

In my room I much prefer vertical horns to horizontal by a wide margin and yes aligning the mid with the woofer is a big deal and so is the tweeter to the mid. See for yourself it is the only way to know for yourself. Have fun, glad your kids are loving it too. moray james.

• Like 1