Empire 2000 E/III

DizRotus

A vintage turntable I acquired has an Empire 2000 E/III cartridge, but the stylus is toast.  I've done some online research, including the Vinyl Engine forum, to determine if a suitable replacement stylus is available and/or whether the cartridge is worth the investment.

Any information regarding the cartridge and sources for a  replacement stylus is much appreciated.

Empire.jpg

Thanks for the reply @bigdnfay, and thanks for the specs.  What did you do with yours?  Did it have a serviceable stylus?  If you replaced the stylus, where did you get it?  If you used it, what did you think of the sound quality?

I've read several favorable reviews on various forums, but a NOS replacement stylus is all but impossible to locate.  Even Jico, apparently, no longer makes a replacement.  Reactions to generics are varied.  The Tonar replacement seems to be a viable possibility.

One concern is the age of the body itself.  Some have suggested that purchasing a whole NOS unit with 0 hours would be a gamble due to degradation of the suspension inside the cartridge body.  The eBay prices for "NOS" units are in the hundreds of dollars, whereas the cost of a Tonar stylus is less than $30, so the gamble is much smaller.

I only use my turntable to rip vinyl to FLAC files and I already have two excellent cartridges, so my motivation to play with this is minimal.  I am motivated to keep a worthy cartridge (if that's what this is) in use by someone who will appreciate it. I'll probably risk the price of a Tonar stylus and evaluate the results.

That said, if someone wants to take on this rescue, the cartridge body is theirs for $15 shipped to 48 contiguous states.  There is no shortage of projects at the moment.