consecutive serial numbers - Heresy III

SlideRulz

• Moderators

Only thing I can think of would maby be a little different price on resale, and the veneer grain may not be as close a match, matching grain. As far a sound no difference, if the speakers look the same and you plan to hang on to them it's no big deal.....to me anyway.

If they are a good price I wouldn't worry about it, if full price don't do it.

• Like 3

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 11:27 AM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Most people don't realize that all Heritage speakers, including the Heresy, start off as matched pairs, with book matched veneer and consecutive serial numbers.

BUT, after they get to the DEALER warehouse, they MOST OFTEN just pull two boxes when they make a sale...not bothering to match them up according to the consecutive serial numbers.  It is what it is.

Add this in to compound the issue...somebody wants a SINGLE Heresy...so he gets one from his dealer...and....even if the boxes in the warehouse were originally ARRANGED to pull pairs, this action of pulling a single may well "jack things up" immensely for a time.

Dealer reps have been trying to fix this issue ever since back when I was working there in the 1970's...again, it is what it is.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Add this in to compound the issue...somebody wants a SINGLE Heresy...so he gets one from his dealer...and....even if the boxes in the warehouse were originally ARRANGED to pull pairs, this action of pulling a single may well "jack things up" immensely for a time.

Not just on the dealer side but I can go on the dealer website right now and order an odd number of Heresy from the factory, probably other speakers as well.  Always wondered what happens to the other one that gets orphaned.  Is it set aside or specially marked?  Not sure.  At least with the special edition ones you have to order in pairs but this doesn't seem to be the case on the standard ones.  

2 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Not just on the dealer side but I can go on the dealer website right now and order an odd number of Heresy from the factory, probably other speakers as well.  Always wondered what happens to the other one that gets orphaned.  Is it set aside or specially marked?  Not sure.  At least with the special edition ones you have to order in pairs but this doesn't seem to be the case on the standard ones.

On the factory side of the house, if a single is ordered from the FACTORY, then they go over to the "single panel sets" pallet and pull one set of those panels from it...or at least that's how we did it back in the day.  Sometimes one of the "paired sets" of finely-veneered panels has one or more damaged or "whatever" panels (such as a weird seam with white wood showing, such as found on a walnut-veneered panel, or a blemish, or whatever, and those cabinet panels are put on the "paint them black or whatever" pallets) which negates them from being built up in pairs...so the one "good set" of panels is taped together and put on the "singles pallet" while awaiting an order for it....or at least that is how we did it back in the day, and they probably STILL do it that way...since it would be silly NOT to still do it that way! ;)

• Like 1

I bought my Hereseys from a licensed dealer in 1977.  They had about 20 stacked two high in a row in the back room.  They pulled the first stack of two off the row with a two-wheeler and loaded them into my pickup.

they're not consecutive, about 6 numbers apart.  Nobody cared then,  I still don't care now.  It's meaningless and will always be be such.  However, it does give people selling stuff something to blather about.

On 3/18/2017 at 4:00 AM, Tom Mobley said:

they're not consecutive, about 6 numbers apart.  Nobody cared then,  I still don't care now.  It's meaningless and will always be be such.  However, it does give people selling stuff something to blather about.

This is why you want a matched pair.  No blathering necessary.  

70th%20matched_zpseq3fug67.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My brand new Cornwall iii boxes are now in storage, but if memory serves the box says something like "S/N ###########16"  to be paired with "S/N##########17."  And the other box says same but lists the S/N's in reverse order

From the Klipsch website:

"BOOK-MATCHED WOOD VENEER

Each pair of Heritage Series loudspeakers is grain-matched using wood veneer panels that come from the same timer.  Each cabinet is carefully matched so that each speaker in the pair is practically indistinguishable from the other.  ...Each finished product is inspected and labeled with sequential serial numbers, ensuring that the Heritage Series speakers leave the factory as a meticulously crafted set." 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2017 at 10:05 PM, ODS123 said:

My brand new Cornwall iii boxes are now in storage, but if memory serves the box says something like "S/N ###########16"  to be paired with "S/N##########17."  And the other box says same but lists the S/N's in reverse order

From the Klipsch website:

"BOOK-MATCHED WOOD VENEER

Each pair of Heritage Series loudspeakers is grain-matched using wood veneer panels that come from the same timer.  Each cabinet is carefully matched so that each speaker in the pair is practically indistinguishable from the other.  ...Each finished product is inspected and labeled with sequential serial numbers, ensuring that the Heritage Series speakers leave the factory as a meticulously crafted set." 

Hello, first post here.

I bought a pair of Heresy IIIs (walnut) a few months ago. They have consecutive serial numbers, but I'm not entirely thrilled with the veneer matching. It's all well matched, except for the front strips. One speaker has a typical dark walnut grain pattern and color, while the front of the other looks more like rosewood than walnut. I decided to live with it because the first pair I bought had shipping damage and I didn't want to go through the return hassle a second time.

Anyone else encounter something similar?

My Heresy's are 4 numbers apart. Can't really tell a difference. In another thread I saw since it is a smaller heresy, it might be from the same piece of wood being only 4 difference.

Even if they were slightly different, they're far enough apart in the room that it wouldn't be noticable to anyone but me.