Tube recommendations with Klipschorns?

khorn79er

Hi guys,

Just want to share my thoughts two months into the experience with my new setup:

- Pair of Klipsch Forte I

- Dynaco ST 70 by Bob Latino

- Condesa Lucia mixer

- 2x Technics 1200 Mk 5

I also have a pair of Klipschorns which I have not yet tested with the ST 70, but the Fortes have slightly lower sensitivity and EASILY drive my system, so it should be no problem for the Khorns. I actually have to significantly decrease my master volume and channel volume from the natural level (I'm forgetting the technical name) in order to play at reasonable volumes per neighbor request :D.

The setup sounds excellent and I have zero complaints. I get the greatest dynamism from the Fortes (perhaps only inferior to the Klipschorns IMO, although I haven't tried every Klipsch speaker). The only downside / challenge I've had is regulating the bias meters, which are very sensitive, however I think I will get used to it!

Thanks for all your recommendations - I'd be happy to upload a video if that's possible here otherwise a picture of my setup.

Alex

11 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Congrats on the amp/speaker combo!  You will get better at adjusting the bias.  What is the bias range for the amp and are your readings close?

Thx Derrick. I'm not sure what the bias range is but I'm running 4X EL34s in triode mode (have both triode and pentode, I think triode sounds nicer). The sweet spot for those tubs are 400 and my readings are +/- 10 from that, per advice from Bob Latino. On my first bias adjustment I moved the adjusters too much and it took me a good hour to get the correct readings. I may have slightly burned some tubes in the process but I don't think I damaged the amp. As long as that's the case it's OK :).

The main guidance on maintenance I received is to just hear the amp and if it sounds bad there is probably a change needed (e.g., tube replacement). So far it sounds excellent. I guess I will get better on the maintenance side of things with time

I have an amp that operates in triode/pentode ultralinear.  It also uses 4 EL 34 power tubes.  I am pretty sure it is based on the Dynaco amp.  The bias range is 0.35-0.40 V.  It sounds like we have the same bias range.  What I do with a tube change is turn the amp on and let it warm up for a couple of minutes.  Then check the bias with the volume knob on 0.  If things sound good, I will check it the next day to make sure it did not drift.  Have fun and enjoy.

48 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I have an amp that operates in triode/pentode ultralinear.  It also uses 4 EL 34 power tubes.  I am pretty sure it is based on the Dynaco amp.  The bias range is 0.35-0.40 V.  It sounds like we have the same bias range.  What I do with a tube change is turn the amp on and let it warm up for a couple of minutes.  Then check the bias with the volume knob on 0.  If things sound good, I will check it the next day to make sure it did not drift.  Have fun and enjoy.

Seems like we have pretty similar amps! I do a similar process but usually wait 30 / 40 mins before checking bias (with volume zero) because it is not stable before that. I only check about once a week and there is some drift but not crazy. Have fun too ;)

• Like 1