What is the best Blue-Ray Player available out there?

twistedcrankcammer

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:13 PM, 1HOHDude said:

If you want the player to work HDMI you also need to match security chip sets.      My suggestion is match the player to TV.

Honestly don't most Blu ray players play that format the same? I realize that 4K players playing that material will be cleaner but on standard Blue ray there should be no issues.

I have had a 4K player and no 4k source for the past couple of years.  I just have to wait til something wears out but, then 8K might be out.  I always find these threads a bit amusing "what is the best ..." .  That all depends on what you need it for or want to do.  Many BDP's will have has nice a pic and sound as an Oppo.  Now, if you are looking at formats, Oppo offers SACD.  SACD is not very popular and the selection is very limited.

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

Now, if you are looking at formats, Oppo offers SACD.  SACD is not very popular and the selection is very limited.

For the record Sony has several lower priced players that play SACD (it was their format) but folks run into problems finding players that play DVD-Audio. The cheapest Bluray player I've seen that plays both is the Sony UHP-H1 and it has just been discounted to under $200. I've had mine for about 10 months and like it a lot and play all of these on a nightly basis...In fact, I think I will crank it up now and enjoy a nice Belhaven listening to some tunes! :emotion-22:

Best is one of those words that is too subjective especially in the audio/video world.  As far as flagship BD players go, your Oppo 95/105 and CA 751/752 and a few others from Sony, Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer, are built to last and do all the things that they are expected to and do them well.  Great build quality, great onboard DACs, fast loading, etc.  

On the other hand, your run of the mill $80.00 and 5lbs BD players do play BD's well, have streaming features/apps, but from my experience are noisy and struggle at times with some discs.  Those are not ones I would recommend for quality music playback.  Just my experience.

Bill

15 hours ago, willland said:

Best is one of those words that is too subjective especially in the audio/video world.

I agree and instead would ask what would you be using it for and with what components--For Blu-ray I can't see spending a lot of money but if one were wanting to play SACDs, there are some decent priced (($100) players and if you want to play DVD-A along with it that player can be had for $200. If you need multichannel/RCA capability it will cost you more, but with HDMI technology for most that is a non-issue unless they have older formats and players.

I had an Oppo 83 SE, which had a special Stereo output going through the ESS 32-bit Sabre DAC chipset. This is the very best DAC available accoding to many experts. I agree. I have since sold the unit to a friend because I have a Sabre DAC in my Yamaha Pre Pro and upgraded to a Oppo 103 for the Video features, since I use the Yamaha for a DAC.

So look for the Sabre DAC and whatever video and "smart" features you want. This  will probably lead you full circle to the Oppo campfire!!

53 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So look for the Sabre DAC and whatever video and "smart" features you want. This  will probably lead you full circle to the Oppo campfire!!

I have that DAC in the AVR and I like it.  Now, the 2 ch system is just the integrated amp and BDP running the show.  It is every bit as good as the dual Sabre DAC's in the AVR.  I just like the Samsung BDP's since all the TV are Samsung and they go well together.  The Pioneer BDP has great PQ and SQ but, is slow and app limited.  It is sitting in a box, lol.

• Like 1