What is the best Blue-Ray Player available out there?

twistedcrankcammer

Hard to beat Oppo. Customer support, build quality, always evolving firmware updates and plays pretty much anything you throw at it. It best the LG, Samsung and Sony players I've had in the past.

Lots of good deals on used ones right now with the new generations being introduced.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I have been using Oppo for years, 83, 93,95, 105 never failed just updated as they came out.

41 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

Hard to beat Oppo. Customer support, build quality, always evolving firmware updates and plays pretty much anything you throw at it.

All true above.  Oppo is great, period.

On the other hand, the Cambridge Audio 751BD or 752BD are also winners.  Both are built with the same Mediatek chipset as the Oppos.  

http://hometheaterreview.com/cambridge-audio-azur-752bd-universal-disc-player/

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2013/10/cambridge-audio-azur-752bd/

Bill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

What brand and model is the best for not only Blue-Ray, but music DVD's, and CDs as well?

I listen to a lot of DVD-Audio and SACDs along with Blu-ray concerts and use the Sony UHP-H1 and it works great if you are using HDMI...I also saw that it recently went on sale for under $200.

27 minutes ago, oldred said:

I just decided to rank them for you

1 Oppo

2 Oppo

3 Oppo

4 brands that use parts from Oppo

Yes I like my 103....darbee edition gives you a slight more detailed picture

George,

My rankings.

1)Oppo 105

2)Cambridge Audio 752BD

3)Oppo 95

3)Cambridge Audio 751BD

4)Oppo 83SE

5)Oppo 103

6)Oppo 93

6)Cambridge Audio 651BD

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Does it matter which model Oppo is best? No mention of the 103?

Is the Darby Edition worth the extra coin? What about other options / upgrades to the players??

Thanks!  

Rog

Roger, it just depends on what you want. All of the Oppos I have had were and are excellent. I paid for the 105D just to get the latest. I don't do 4K or 3D. On my puny 70" and at my viewing distance I do (edit: do not see) any improvements over the earlier models or having "Darby" engaged. Folks with dedicated rooms / projectors etc may see it a different way. I have tried the 105 analog out for stereo only and I didn't hear any real difference between the AV8801, Oppo or McIntosh DACs.

If one wanted to use the -105 as a pre-amp / processor then that is an option with great features.

I am considering a Cambridge transport for CD's just because I have a rack space empty and it is less remote programming :P

• Like 1

I've never tried Oppo but I've heard really good things. I've always really loved Sony Blu-ray players. I just got the new Sony 4k player and have been really liking it. I have had an issue with it where it will randomly go off, it's happened about 2 times since I've had it but seems to only happen when watching media from the usb port. I've had many Sony blu-ray players in the past and this is the first one I've ever had an issue with though so I am really hoping it will be an easy firmware fix or something like that. Given the history I've had with Sony I would still recommend it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest thinking long and hard about matching the Blue-ray to the system.    I have a Maranz 9.2 AVR paired with a almost new 90" top of the line Samsung TV.    Has taken me a year to get the Marantz working with the TV.    I have been through 4 different Blue-ray players and finally got a top of the line Samsung.   At last;  finally got the 3 to work together..... If you want the player to work HDMI you also need to match security chip sets.      My suggestion is match the player to TV.