More Screwings on the Bay?

ZEUS121996

So a guy who bought a 3 pak of cigar holders for the golf course is bugging the shit out of me. I gave him the USPS tracking # but that isn't good enough. He wants a time stamp so I can prove I sent them. $16.95 for 3 of them postage included. I didn't realize PUERTO RICO was considered part of the US. it's a property, never the less I ate the shipping so he would be happy. And he's still bitching up a storm. I suppose I could have bought a plane ticket and hand delivered them. So my options are

1. Tell him to screw off

2 Tell him to screw off

3. Tell him to screw off

4 Tell him to call the UNITED STATES PO and ask why he isn't getting the service he is due, after all he is a sovereignty, for what that's worth, we should be kissing his *** because they contribute so much to the economy, 

Thoughts?

Mark 

I fail to see the problem.  You put the items in the mail, you provided tracking numbers.  He can check the tracking numbers.

ACT, don't re-act.  You did your job, it's on the customer if he is uncomfortable.  He chose you, you didn't choose him.  One email of assurance is good business, so you did good.

What else can you do?

• Like 1

Unfortunately if you care about your feedback rating "firing" the customer isn't an option. However, if you do send them a full refund and cancel the order through eBay it will stop his ability to leave you feedback. Stuff gets "lost" in the mail, that's why I always insist on signature requirements for everything I ship that way there is no question as to whether it was delivered or not. 

I sold a $60 remote to a guy about a year ago, it was being delivered to a mailbox store that accepts packages for people so I didn't add the signature requirement thinking they were professionals and I could trust them. Tracking number showed it was delivered, the business said they never received it. Luckily I had a few of the remotes so I just apologized to the customer and shipped out a new remote at my expense this time with a signature required, lesson learned. 

I sell on what you guys are calling the bay. If the guy has not opened a case against you then ignore or even block him from emailing you. If he opens up a case against you then send him a refund. $16 is not worth the headache, plus you will probably get a negative feedback if you don't work things out with him.  

I have been wanting to talk with Klipsch members for a long time about the Bay but I was not sure if it would be aloud. I have been on there a long time, good times and bad times. I have a ton of inventory ( not all audio ), but why list when things are not selling. I took a $4000.00 hit from a man in New York about 8 months back. The bay sided with him. I bought three pieces of equipment from him and they all 3 arrived broken. The Bay is like riding a roller coaster, when your a young kid its fun and you enjoy it, now that your older the ride is jerking you around to hell and back and the fun is gone.  I could write a book about my nightmares with the bay.  I am curious to see if there are many members on here dealing on the Bay.

6 minutes ago, staygroovybaby said:

I have been wanting to talk with Klipsch members for a long time about the Bay but I was not sure if it would be aloud.

I have been an Ebay buyer for a long time but never a seller.  I probably have less than 20 purchases.  I would like to see what you have to say as I am blessedly ignorant. 

More knowledge is more good as far as I am concerned.

17 minutes ago, staygroovybaby said:

...   I am curious to see if there are many members on here dealing on the Bay.

I too have been a buyer for at least several years.  I don't think I've ever tried to sell anything, but would be interested to hear what your perspective.  your experiences could be insightful for me particularly.  my GF decided last fall to try an online store there.  she did some volume over Christmas, not a lot since then.  has invested a fair amount of $ in coaching, mentoring etc for building her online business.  the business is slow. and frustrates her that she follows recommendations given but not able to find the right niche, product mix etc.

sorry - wandered off topic.  yes, I would be interested to hear your story.  please share.  thanks.

All I can add is that in all my years buying on eBay whenever I see a seller with a negative feedback for a deal gone wrong on a $10 item I think to myself why in the hell would anyone fight over and let things escalate to the point of receiving bad feedback for $10? Or $20? Too me a seller's reputation is everything and the next guy to click on one of your listings is not going to know the backstory or who was at fault or any details about the situation. What they will know is that you could not work things out on a $10 deal and what if things go bad with the purchase they're about to make?

To those who responded about my Ebay comments.  My best advice to anyone who wants to become a seller on Ebay is very simple, BE SCARED BE VERY SCARED. I am not just saying this because of a few bad experiences. I have two different ebay accounts and have over 1500 positive feedback's  & 0 negative feedback's on my main account. My wife & I worked hard to make things work to get to that point. As of two years ago we actually did rather well selling, with our best single month of net sales being just over $14000.00. Our average months would were about $4000.00 net. All this time we were both working full time jobs as well.  Things were going well for us, a decent paying job we were both working for the same company and Ebay was moving along well. 

Then the news comes, our boss ( company owner ) tells us he is closing the doors. At this point we are not overly concerned, after all we still have Ebay. We pour our blood sweat & tears into it. Bought a lot of inventory, listed a lot of items and low and behold the bottom falls out.  No sales to speak of, scammers everywhere and eBay itself treats you like you are nothing to them. At one time we had over 3000 items listed and now we try and keep around 50 listed, hoping for the market to come back

. From years of study and keeping good records we feel the ebay market has seen its hay-day.  I currently have about 50 items listed, woke up three days ago and I had no items listed, they had vanished in the wind. I called Ebay and they said, just re list them. I did exactly that and they charged me to re list my items.  Ebay is the 700 lb gorilla on the block and bully's everyone. Knowing they have the monopoly on places to sell a wide selection of items.

Some of you may have seen some of my items for sale on here.  Ebay has a large part to do with my liquidating all of my stereo equipment. You can slap me once or twice even, but there comes a point when I will react.   So the bottom line is Ebay is at the very least a scary place for the buyer and the seller as well.

One last thing, and this is just the advice coming from someone who has lost almost everything ( so take it as you will ) When buying audio equipment, drive and audition ( NO SHIPPING !!! ) it pays off.  Thanks for letting me bend your ear, I wish everyone all the best.  May God bless you all and provide you with all you need and deserve.  For me, I have to reinvent myself.  But I thank God I have my wife by my side. 

If you ever want to talk about anything, my ear is an open door.   Dean  ( 251 ) 213 - 1388

George Harrison's last words  were   " Love One Another "

• Like 4

You ansered him, you gave him tracking.

If he emails you again, then give him tracking again.

Burn up a couple days doing this and he should get his goodies by then.

The really bad thing about the Bay currently is the consumer has up 6Months to return for whatever reason, that sucks.

I shop the hell outta the bay, two three times a week, but rarely sell.

For anything audio, selling or buying I have never really considered ePay. Been using AudioGon for 15 Yeats and have yet to have an issue. It seems the all audio clientele is more trustworthy than the hordes that use eBay. It appears US Audiomart has taken a good share from 'Gon but many use both. 

Dean, you've confirmed what I've felt for some time.   EBay isnt the place for me to sell things.  I'll sell local or on the forum.  EBay and some buyers seem either too uncaring or corrupt.  Good luck in your endeavors.   You have a great eye for gear.

• Like 1

Not so fast. I've had about 1300 trades on Ebay over the last 18 years. Way less than 1% of that has been a problem. Value of things up to $4,000.00. There is power in Ebay you cannot get anywhere else.

A few selling examples that I've enjoyed over these many years:

Bought a yard sale Pepsi clock for $35 and sold it on Ebay for $1,275.00

steam whistle for $400           and sold it on Ebay for $1,500.00

Underground pipe locator $200    sold it on Ebay for $1,200.00

Leister welder motor driven $250 sold it on Ebay for $2,000.00

I don't think there's anywhere else in this world those deals would have happened. 

• Like 3

Just now, JL Sargent said:

Not so fast. I've had about 1300 trades on Ebay over the last 18 years. Way less than 1% of that has been a problem. Value of things up to $4,000.00. There is power in Ebay you cannot get anywhere else.

A few selling examples that I've enjoyed over these many years:

Bought a yard sale Pepsi clock for $35 and sold it on Ebay for $1,275.00

steam whistle for $400           and sold it on Ebay for $1,500.00

Underground pipe locator $200    sold it on Ebay for $1,200.00

Leister welder motor driven $250 sold it on Ebay for $2,000.00

I don't think there's anywhere else in this world those deals would have happened. 

Just curious how many items do you usually keep listed on average?  

1 hour ago, staygroovybaby said:

Just curious how many items do you usually keep listed on average?

None at the moment. Coughing up close to 15% in fees is my biggest complaint. If I'm at an industrial auction or a yard sale and see a good money maker, I'll pick it up and list it on Ebay.

MOST people on Ebay are realistic, fair, and keep their word. Sure, every once in a while you get an idiot, but overall it has been a good experience for me. 

• Like 1

You say not so fast. I am not going to lead people to believe eBay is a safe and fair market like it was at one time. I stick to my original comments. Be aware of when you are buying or selling on eBay. 

Fee's are hurting us , this I agree. 
But, the bigger problem is the dishonest people, and eBay it's self being dishonest / unfair. 
eBay has a long list of items that we ( sellers ) are prohibited from selling, and yet they let people sell them all the time.
 A non permitted item sold yesterday for over $5000! Yet I listed a similar item several years back and eBay threatened to close my account!
You can go on eBay any day and buy illegal drugs and prohibited items.

Several months back I was double charged on my monthly selling fee's.  I contacted eBay, they said the money would be returned to my account but, instead they held it as a credit toward my next months fee's . 

Last month eBay over charged my account by $58.00. I call them and they said they said my sales were a little  slow and they added an extra feature to each of my items and I was charged a $1 per item for each one listed. This was done without my permission. You can say what you like, but eBay is ripping people off. I believe they call that theft.  Were you aware of eBay blackouts. Once a day eBay blacks out at least 1 million items for four hours. This means your items may not be seen for that period of time.. 
I am glad you are doing well on eBay!
But, list enough items and eventually you will get burned!
eBay is getting worse by the day, and that is a simple proven fact! 
I am not saying do not buy or sell on eBay! I am just saying tread lightly!

eBay is a powerhouse,  The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.