Klipsch Tangent 500 Question

Peter P.

I love my Heresy's. In searching for a second pair of speakers, I came across this eBay auction for a pair of Tangent 500's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLIPSCH-TANGENT-500-FLOORSTANDING-SPEAKERS-/132125494217?hash=item1ec34b0bc9:g:GWcAAOSwxEpYxYuO

Considering the design, and the claim they have the same drivers and crossover as the Heresy, would they be of the same quality? I mean, the numbers in the ad claim lower frequency response than the Heresy, and the  price is roughly that of a used pair of Heresy's. Am I missing something? Somebody explain to me the Tangent line-are they as well built as the Heritage line? Can you compare the Tangent line to the kg models? I've been eyeballing kg 3.2's and similar and they seem to be very popular in the used market. For what it's worth, I prefer passive radiators over ported designs.

I've had those speakers before and they sound great with much better bass response than the Heresy. I thought they were somewhere in between the Heresy and forte models in terms of sound and a pretty good all around speaker. The thing is with the Tangent line is that the cabinet quality is kind of crap- very thin walled, no bracing and thin, cheap vinyl wrap finish with surface mounted drivers. All the parts are the same as in the Heresy and forte they just cheaped out on the cabinets.

Those in the listing look to be in good shape but I'd try to get him way down on the price personally, maybe $350? He's asking forte prices for a lesser quality product. For what its worth I'd much rather have these T-500's than any of the KG line and they would be a good match for what you have already.

Good morning Peter!

That pair on ebay is WAY overpriced. I had both Heresy ii's and Tangent 500's at the same time at one point. 

I had picked up the Tangent 500's first thinking the bass would be "adequate", it didn't quite cut it, but not having to put my Heresy ii's on stands was a bonus. 

Heresy ii's have to be the best "small" Klipsch speaker I have heard. ESPECIALLY when elevated to ear level. I regret letting my Heresy ii's go, not so much the Tangent 500's...

The original Heresy is what hooked me on Klipsch decades ago.

The thin cabinets of the Tangent 500's do not do them any favours and mine needed to be glued and clamped. Simply put, good parts in cheap package.

I had very much toyed with the idea of building better cabinets and making them a double woofer design, but that much effort and money is better spent on going UP the Klipsch ladder to Cornwall's, Epic CF-3 or 4's, or Chorus ii's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Peter, well met dude!  You know me... Don in Fort Collins, CO here.  You have lodged at my house!  You have dropped your jaw at the bass from my Fortes!  You have made me jerky for my birthday!  What are you doing not coming to me with your Klipsch questions???

(Kidding re the last sentence. You are a grown ((borderline old)) man and can make your own way, especially on a bike.)

Tangent 500s are Heresy IIs (exact same drivers and x-over) with a big cheap cabinet and a passive radiator (which I also prefer over ports).  I have a friend who has some, and they are a great value if obtained for a good price which means patience, which he didn't have so he paid too much but that is not a big deal as he is very happy.  The cabinets are not great, sure, but can be reinforced with Skills You Possess.  A pair of Tangent 500's---or 400's for that matter---are usually the bargain way to get very close to Forte performance levels.  What you should be considering is converting your Heresy II to "Super Tangents" by making (or converting) some big cabinets for them with proper Thiele-Small tuning.  You could even add some volume to your existing Heresy II cabinets and port them (or add passives) to get the bass I know you really crave.

OTOH, a good sub with your Heresies and you are set for life!  I emailed you about this recently.  I listen to my Heresy IIs with a sub far more often than to my Fortes these days---with great satisfaction---mainly due to basement theater location and late night timing.  I'm actually thinking of selling my Fortes(!), as I am grooming/tweaking some vintage (TOA) sleepers to replace the Fortes with massive Altec/JBL-class cold-slap-in-the-face goodness.

You really ought to just mosey out here soon so we can map out a course of action while listening to tunes per your excellent recommendations and quaffing local micros (but you don't drink, right?).  And you can listen to my budding super-TOAs and weep.  We are soon to be empty-nesters so beds are available.

• 10 months later...

I bought the Klipsch Tangent T500 a few months ago in near perfect condition. The bass from these speakers is good and they could stand alone without a subwoofer. I like a little extra kick in my audio so they're running together with an M & K sub. I bought them for $180 and I'm happy with my purchase. I've seen these speakers in the $300-$400 range. I think that's a bit pricey and anything over $200 is too much. I have yet to be disappointed by these speakers. I've loved listening to music ever since I can remember, but in no way consider myself an audiophile...just giving my opinion. 

Edited by jopa1026
  • Like 1