Audio WTF's!

Schu

2 hours ago, Schu said:

WTF's from the audio world.

I'll start...

17098677_10155882043879377_4116168066998

Heaven forbid that the "acoustical pattern" of an ELECTRIC signal's "PURITY" not become IMPROVED by the wires it is traveling through passing through a gold-plated metallic object instead of laying on carpet...too ridiculous!

Here is one to ponder:

For decades, Klipsch wired the internals of speakers with STEEL lamp cord.  Not only that, but ALL THE TESTING was done with the SAME WIRE being used as speaker wire from the amp to the speakers.

SO, whenever I read about this wire vs. that wire, and how much better one wire is over the other...I am reminded that the original testing on ALL the "Heritage" speaker series and very many of the Industrial line were done with that old steel lamp cord...and the speakers were modified throughout R&D using that same wire...until they met whatever standards PWK expected them to meet.

So, if all of that was done using that steel wire (on bare-wire screw terminals!!), then using anything else on them will automatically make them perform DIFFERENTLY from the "Klipsch Perfection" they were designed with.  Which automatically precludes them performing to the standards which they were supposed to reach to be "good-to-go" during all of the research and development.

It wasn't until the mid-1980's that they stopped using that steel wire both inside the speakers and in testing them.  Just how many speakers in the Heritage and industrial lines does that include?  Think about that for a minute or two!

Now think about THIS:  Each time you put an additional "splice" in ANY electrical circuit, you create more resistance in that circuit.  Adding a connector is technically a "splice".  If you have two wires with connectors on each end and they are connected together, then there are three "splices" involved at a MINIMUM.  if one of those connectors is further connected to the speaker terminal, you have added an additional "splice"...or more than one.  If connectors are used throughout the "inside of the speaker" wiring, you add MORE "splices" into that particular circuit...etc....and all of these "splices" are involved in creating more resistance to the electrical signal trying its damnedest to get from the amplifier section to some kind of driver to produce sound USING that signal.

How much distortion is involved??  Who knows???  But gotta be SOME distortion involved!

Just something for the audiofools to ponder...just saying!

• Like 1

I have read and tend to agree that no connectors is best I.e. raw copper speaker cable to both amp and speaker terminals. Tough to do with RCA's though.

The early McIntosh engineer Roger Russell did a paper on cable and concluded standard lamp cord was as good as anything tested. I do know my George Wright 2a3 monoblocks and matching preamp are hard wired with lamp cord and I have yet to hear anything that sounds much better. 

1 hour ago, dtel said:

From the website:

SWO-XXX will redefine what a mere outlet can do for "air" and "smoothness" in a system. There is oodles of air cushioning each sonic note and performer, seemingly lifting them upwards in the soundstage, while traces of brittleness, hardness, and grit are removed, resulting in a more liquid, smooth textures.:lol:

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Somebody had to have been mighty stoned to say hey, we should sell Reese Cups for putting on speaker wires.  

I thought that's what it was at first, I could have gone for that idea, they wouldn't last long before I ate them.

• Like 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

I found this a little on the extreme side.

http://gizmodo.com/obsessed-audiophiles-in-japan-are-installing-their-own-1785291714

When my neighbors washing machine is causing distortion in my system something has to be done.  Maybe they're on to something here.  I'm getting a quote tomorrow....

They might have there own power pole but they are still connected to the same line, solve that problem run off of batteries.

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Now think about THIS:  Each time you put an additional "splice" in ANY electrical circuit, you create more resistance in that circuit.  Adding a connector is technically a "splice". 

Actually, it's even worse than that. Any connection that is not made in a perfectly oxygen-free environment will corrode, even slightly. Corrosion can exhibit all kinds of characteristics beyond simple resistance, most prominently diode effects (conduction slightly better in one direction than in the other). Just one connection is likely to have greater effect than the difference between 99.9% pure copper wire and 99.999999999999999999999999% pure copper wire. So don't worry about the wire; worry about the connections.

We have an African bowl hanging on the wall midway between our Khorns, convex side toward the listener.  The improvement in the sound it provides is, well, ineffable.  When we lower our AT screen in front of it, there is no change in its effectiveness.  That being said, we might consider swapping it for a pair of Jubilees.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Somebody had to have been mighty stoned to say hey, we should sell Reese Cups for putting on speaker wires.  

Well we had the munchies and these black ones didn't taste as good as the chocolate/peanut butter ones so we stuck'em on our speaker wires. Now do ya get it?:)

• Like 1