OLED vs LED flat screens in the 50" to 65" range.

teknoid

So I've been TV shopping for a couple of weeks now. After visiting no less than 4 sorta local Best Buy stores, 3 HH Gregg stores, and a couple of other TV sellers I've yet to find a store where I can see OLED side by side with a conventional LED backlit TV.

Has anyone here been able to do a direct comparison? If so is OLED worth the price premium? Why?

I'm more than happy to plunk down $2K or a little more for a TV if and only if it represents a significantly better return on my $$. I'd of course rather not.

Considering the space I have to work with 65" is probably a little bigger than I want or need. 55" is probably a better size for me.

Note: I have a brand spanking new Oppo UDP-203 4K deck in the stand waiting for a TV to be hooked up to.

Bought a sony xbr65x930d a few weeks ago, was also looking at samsung 8500 series but got a better deal on the Sony. (Sony samsung had similarl picture quality) The samsung was next to an oled and picture quality was very close.. This was in a fairly well lite room, the oled may perform better in a darken room. Supposedly the backlits don't do as well in a darken room, sorry I don't have sony hooked yet so I can not say how well it performs in darken room. Should have it up in a couple days and can post how it does in if you like, let me know. Tvs I look at where the vizio p series, LG oled and the 2 above, I do like sony samsung  so this did sway my buying decision. Vizio has nice features but built quality scares me, LG seems to have better build quality but just like sony samsung better. I figured without having an oled right next to the Sony I would be happy with picture quality and could not justify price difference. 

I and others online noticed best buy sales people tend to push sony, do your research and try not to let these sales people influence your decision. Sony is the one that has come up with most the 4k technology if that makes a difference to you, it did to me.

Side viewing is better with the oled but I always sit straight in front of my tv so no big deal. Make sure you are comparing apples to oranges, only the higher end tvs have nanotechnology crystals.   (each brand has its own name for this technology) This technology makes a huge difference in picture quality.

Jeff,

I have owned my Samsung UN65KS9500 since November/December and never thought I would own a TV that bested my Samsung plasma like this new 65" does.  Surprisingly blacks are blacker, whites are whiter, motion is very good but not great like the plasma, but colors are more vibrant and lifelike.

7 hours ago, Ljk said:

The samsung was next to an oled and picture quality was very close.. This was in a fairly well lite room, the oled may perform better in a darken room.

Not going to sit here and tell you my LED LCD 4K HDR TV is "better" than OLED, but for the price I paid at $1644.00 shipped through my company's EPP, I could not be more impressed.

Bill

In a well lite room the samsung was not as good as the oled but close, in a dark room the oled may far out perform others. This has just been my experience, when I bought my tv I was also looking for certain features. Great price on your TV, sounds like prices online might be dropping on all the 2016 tvs. 

I was just at Walmart.  The Vizio 55" E Series was around 400 or some equally ridiculously low number.  The M Series is a notch up, I wasn't shopping so I didn't see the price.  I'm thinking the 65" E Series was around 600.  You have to go to the store for those low prices, I don't see them on Walmart.com.

At Sams Club the Viz 70" E Series is a thousand bucks, the M Series is 1700.  Just giving you basic numbers and sizes to look at for comparison.

I am a fan of buy cheap then replace more often rather than buy expensive (future proof) and keep it for ten years.  I also worry about an expensive TV breaking just after the warranty has run out then you still need to replace rather than repair in most cases.

The big reason I like cheap is because they put crap sound systems in low end TV's.  I'm going to run at least 3.1 with a decent AVR so I don't care what the stock speakers sound like.  I think a critical eye can see the difference in screen quality when two TV's are side-by-side but as long as you buy a decent monitor and after you get it home it really doesn't matter, no matter what it is it will look fine.

Oh, absolutely, Scu.  I'm not in the market so I haven't done that much critical research, but I take it on faith the OLED will blow away the old LED's.  It's the new tech vs the old, no question the new stuff wins.

I'm just representing the POV of the po' folks.  B)

Well, I am sensitive to that for sure... LED's do have a price performance advantage currently because most folks either cannot see the differences or could care less about the excess of quality that OLED delivers. I think most folks only care about resolution when in fact the more important overriding  critical element is in fact high dynamic range and the ability to reproduce as much visible spectrum color (color gamut) as possible. Ive been reading a lot lately about 4k being only a short interim format and that 6k and above is right around the corner.

One other thing that many folks dont know is that many LED's are actually LCD's with backlighting.

24 minutes ago, Schu said:

Well, I am sensitive to that for sure... LED's do have a price performance advantage currently because most folks either cannot see the differences or could care about the excess of quality that OLED delivers.

One other thing that many folks dont know is that many LED's are actually LCD's with backlighting    

True  on both counts. Was just going to check specs on lg oled tvs and seems sony is coming out with an oled, don't know about samsung.  Guess that's why the Sony  I bought is dropping in price.  If you don't mind shopping online you should be able to get a good price on a tv. 55,s where 300 to 500  cheaper then 65s when I was shopping. An oled, if you decide to go that way might be cheaper then you think if you shop around.

9 hours ago, Schu said:

One other thing that many folks dont know is that many LED's are actually LCD's with backlighting.

True, many think LED is a type of TV technology which we know it is just the type of back lighting.  LED's have always been LCD's.  Older LCD's used florescent back lighting while the newer use LED back lighting.

Bill

In a well lite room the samsung was not as good as the oled but close, in a dark room the oled may far out perform others. This has just been my experience, when I bought my tv I was also looking for certain features. Great price on your TV, sounds like prices online might be dropping on all the 2016 tvs. 

Having a hard time coping url with my tablet, do a search for LG tvs. They are offering a limited time special price on there 55inch  oled tvs for 1999, might be just what your looking for..

Try this www.lg.com

http://www.rtings.com/tv

I ended up using this website to help buy my last tv granted I was not in the market for a 4K so I don't have any reviews on that but not sure if you guys have seen this website.  To the people above that have 4K tv's is it worth it for 4k right now?  Is there that many sources that you can actually broadcast 4K in or is it just upscaled? 

10 minutes ago, calhockey10 said:

To the people above that have 4K tv's is it worth it for 4k right now?

If there's 4k content out there, you need to consider how far away from the tv you sit as to whether or not 4k is worth the upcharge.resolution-4k-ultra-hd-chart.png

2 hours ago, calhockey10 said:

http://www.rtings.com/tv

I ended up using this website to help buy my last tv granted I was not in the market for a 4K so I don't have any reviews on that but not sure if you guys have seen this website.  To the people above that have 4K tv's is it worth it for 4k right now?  Is there that many sources that you can actually broadcast 4K in or is it just upscaled? 

not only is there VERY limited broadcast in 4k... there is limited broadcast in 1080p. and certainly more when you consider frame rates above 24fps. HOWEVER, there are streaming services that are slowly getting on board with 4k @ 60fps as broadband gets faster and faster.

mostly, I just consider capability of the monitor, not whether or not there is content available because I own most my own relevant content (movie)...

I was prepared to just into a 65"+ 4K HDR OLED monitor, but the longer I wait, the more glad I am that I have not as yet purchased a unit. prices have not only plateaued, I have been reading more and more about coming performance advancements. I tend to hold onto my monitors for very long times, so I want to be sure I get what will satisfy me for a long period. Right now, it's still plasma.

5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If there's 4k content out there, you need to consider how far away from the tv you sit as to whether or not 4k is worth the upcharge.resolution-4k-ultra-hd-chart.png

I am not looking to go 4K anytime soon either unless more sources make it available. 4K Movies are $25-$40,  Netflix only has limited selection in 4K I believe I could be wrong, The ps4 can't play 4k movies.  I cut the cord on cable and use playstation vue month to month so I looked at the best 1080p I could buy and went with that.