cd players that go good with tubes

mopardave

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

Not sure whats wrong with the c333es not reading all the discs, maybe just old discs?

Canned air on the laser lens does wonders. 

If stubborn particles still adhere to the lens or nearby parts, turn the can upside down and spray liquid.  This should do the trick.  These particles are usually smaller than the eye can easily detect.

This trick also works with IR remotes, too. 

Chris

On 3/15/2017 at 10:31 AM, mopardave said:

I will look at the s1000 and the nadc542.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAD-C-542-Compact-Disc-Player-/222411190258?hash=item33c8bd6ff2%3Ag%3Az~0AAOSw32lYpQ43&nma=true&si=iYcN%2FNajETLVqBhfShqUbUfE53M%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

closed prices on that c542 are excellent. parts also seem to be available for quite a lot. older electronics sometimes need minor servicing, cap replacement etc but it's worth it for the price you pay

On 3/15/2017 at 7:22 PM, Deang said:

You can pick up a used Oppo 93 for around $300 - it'll run rings around that old Sony. 

If the Oppo 93 does that we;ll, then the newer model model 203 should exceed even that.  This is a brand and model that gets raves even from dealerships that don't sell it.

The forthcoming model 205, due out in a couple of months but costing over $1,000, is supposed to be a large step up from there.

• Like 1

Well, the yamaha c600 showed up yesterday.  Haven't spent but maybe 10 minutes with it. Cant get it to operate. Loaded some cd's in it, but can't get them to play. Door keeps popping out . have to have more time to figure out what i'm doing wrong.

I had that problem with a brand new Oppo DV-980H bought from Amazon in 2009 (which I really bought to play SACDs only since Sony Playstation 3s had two months beforehand eliminated that capability from Playstation 3s, and later, other capabilities such as the ability to load Linux, etc, ultimately resulting in a successful class action lawsuit for the PS3 owners.  Good track record, Sony. :emotion-21:)

Had to open the Oppo up and loosen the screws holding the disc transport mechanism to the case.  The inserted discs interfered with the case slot due to out-of-tolerance stack up with the mechanism height (probably a case tolerancing issue).  It suddenly worked when the screws were loosened a bit--albeit it rattled a little if you picked it up and shook it.  :huh:

That Oppo DSV-980H was the unit that taught me to avoid analog outputs from disc players. 

I found that the DACs, supporting preamp hardware, and firmware inside the preamp/processor are about an order of magnitude better than in a typical disc player, as well as learning just how bad the analog audio outputs were in disc players, at least then (and probably today).  As long as you're using something like HDMI, I always recommend digital buses from the player to the preamp rather than analog.  Put the money in a good preamp/processor instead.  The rest is just 1s and 0s from the disc players, computers, and streaming services.

I really like my Emotiva erc-3 but don't have much to compare it to but it sounds great to me. Lots of others seem to agree online but have heard some complain about noisy motors but not a sound out of mine. It's sounds better with better highs than I've gotten before. Very good player for 500 bucks new. Nice remote! 

Check out the Denon DCD 1520. I got one on eBay, works really well, awesome sound. I use it with my PrimaLuna Dialogue Integrated tube amp, with my Heresy's III, super clear and warm sound. I paid around 200 for it, very cleaned, serviced, and with a remote. there are a few on eBay, including the DCD 1560.

2nd Yamaha player arrived.  will not read the discs.   reads "no disc" with it loaded with discs.  no exchanges this time. getting a refund.   ill continue looking for a Marantz sa8004 or 05 or an other brand new Yamaha 600 else where.   thanks guys

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

2nd Yamaha player arrived.  will not read the discs.   reads "no disc" with it loaded with discs.  no exchanges this time. getting a refund.   ill continue looking for a Marantz sa8004 or 05 or an other brand new Yamaha 600 else where.   thanks guys

0 for 2, that is a shame.

I have a Sony CDP-CE375 lying around that I could send you for the price of packing and shipping.  Do you still have your Sony player remote?

Bill