RP-260f vs. RP-280f

jamalstevens

Hey all,

New to the forum (and klipsch) but I've decided to bite the bullet and go with a pair of klipsch floorstanders for my main stereo setup.  I plan on using them in stereo only and for music from my turntable or tidal HD streaming service.  I have a room about 16 x 24ish feet with 12 ft ceilings.  I'm wondering on whether or not I should save the money and go with the rp-260f's or spend the extra cash and go with the rp-280f's.  What do you all think?

Thanks!

Jamalstevens,

Welcome to the forum.

Your room is on the large side so I would say definitely go with the RP-280F's if you are not planning to use a subwoofer.  If you are going to integrate a subwoofer, then the RP260F's will be just fine.

Bill

1 hour ago, willland said:

Jamalstevens,

Welcome to the forum.

Your room is on the large side so I would say definitely go with the RP-280F's if you are not planning to use a subwoofer.  If you are going to integrate a subwoofer, then the RP260F's will be just fine.

Bill

The room doesn't have to be bumping or anything, I normally sit about 8-9 feet from the speakers.  I currently have a pair of smallll paradigm atom v.1's in in the room and they make it plenty loud but just don't have enough body.

I have been one click away from the rp-280f's I just didn't want to overshoot it for the space when I could save $150 or so and spend it on some tubes ;)

Where in Michigan are you Jamal? There have been some nice deals on CL lately for used. If you can find them I would suggest the Heritage line and do yourself a favor, don't rule out a sub. I have found that in almost every situation the sub enhances everything that Klipsch speakers have to offer.

Tim

4 hours ago, jamalstevens said:

I'm in Michigan and yeah I'm totally ok with used.

I don't know how far but I think you would be much better served getting these.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/169317-fs-klipsch-rf-63-rc-62-rs-52-1200-plainfield-il/

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/6031656300.html

I am a bit biased but the RF-63's are fantastic for music and HT.  If Opus will not break up the package, then sell off what you don't want.  I think $1200.00 for the whole lot is an incredible deal.

Bill

5 hours ago, willland said:

I don't know how far but I think you would be much better served getting these.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/169317-fs-klipsch-rf-63-rc-62-rs-52-1200-plainfield-il/

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/6031656300.html

I am a bit biased but the RF-63's are fantastic for music and HT.  If Opus will not break up the package, then sell off what you don't want.  I think $1200.00 for the whole lot is an incredible deal.

Bill

Bill,

Are the rf-63's really gonna be that much better than the new rp-280?  I can get the rp-280s at my door brand new for $780.  What makes the 63s so much better?

Tim, what size and brand sub would you reccomend? 

1 hour ago, jamalstevens said:

Bill,

Are the rf-63's really gonna be that much better than the new rp-280?

I really can't say better because I have never heard the RP-280F's.  What I can say is that the 63's have real wood veneer, a titanium 1.25" compression driver, three 6.5" woofers,  and they sound incredible.

I can get the rp-280s at my door brand new for $780.

The RF-63's retailed for $1900.00/pair and these 63's in the ad would essentially cost you around $550.00 if you were to buy the whole lot from Opus and sell off the rest of the package.

What makes the 63s so much better?

Refer to second sentence above under first quoted question.;):D

Bill

• 8 months later...

Hello there, 

I have a media room of size 13x18ft with 10ft ceiling. Is rp-280f with 450c to big? I want to setup 5.1.2 Atmos with below specs

Klipsch 5.2 Walnut System with 2 RP-280F, 1 RP-450C, 2 Klipsch RP-250S Walnut Surround Speakers, 2 BIC/Acoustech PL-200 II Subwoofer, 1 Marantz SR7011 A/V Receiver

Thanks

Edited by Jay

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Thanks Bill 😊

Another Qn. What is the best receiver I can get below 600$ for these speakers 

Can't tell you what's best but can tell you about value.  If all the latest and greatest modern features is not a must have, then value can get even better.

Here are a few I suggest under your $600.00 threshold.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr704/integra-dtr-70.4-9.2-ch-x-140-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxrz810/onkyo-tx-rz810-7.2-ch-x-130-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

A bit over your $$$.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4200w/denon-avr-x4200w-7.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications

Bill

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have direct experience and it is safe to say that this response would apply equally to differences between the RP-260F vs. RP-280F or the newer models, but identical  RP-6000F vs RP-8000F.

My room is about 20' x 24' I have owned Used the RP-260F, RP-450C, R-115SW x 2, plus RB-61 II surrounds and rears, and RP-140SA Atmos for three years.  I originally wanted the RP-280F mains, but I was concerned about the size and the RP260F's were at a good price.  I've used a Denon AVR-X3300W for about a year, and two years ago upgraded to a Denon AVR-X4300H (125w/ch).

I began to have concerns about the heat generated in the X4300H driving 7.2.2 speakers. Even with two usb powered 120mm fans on top of the Denon drawing heat up and out and the Denon being mounted on a wire rack it got hot. i decided to get an external 2ch amp to drive the RP-260's and bought an Emotiva BASX A-300 (150w x 2ch) to drive the mains and added a pair of RP-500SA Atmos speakers.  This  made a clear improvement in the clarity, dynamics, and overhead for the RP-260's, and the Denon now ran cool in nearly all circumstances.

Now I just got a deal on the RP-280'Fs. I sold the RP-260F's.   The difference is noticeable at higher volume levels. I always kept the volume a few db short of reference so as not to overdrive the 260's and they could still blast your ears off with amazing sound, but there was a tiny bit of strain in the 260s at near reference. Now the the 280's on the same system I (can tell you the sound a bit richer (even though they are set to small and crossover set to 80hz allowing the R-155SW's to handle the low end), and they do not strain AT ALL at full calibrated reference levels (and more). They have not had any time to break-in, so I expect they'll be even better in a week or so.

So in the end I can vouch that even though anyone would be thrilled with any of the combinations I listed above, the addition of a separate amp for the mains and then now the upgrade to the RP-280F were both noticeable improvements.

Another somewhat unrelated tip that might apply to some.  This system in in our master bedroom. Unfortunately, I was unable to mount the left main on the floor because of a 3-foot tall dresser exactly where it needed to be. My solution was to flip the left speaker upside down so the tweeters of both left and right mains ended up within a few inches of each other and right at ear level.  This made a huge difference and there is no negative impact from doing so. Floor Speakers should not be placed sideways or you will screw up the designed horizontal dispersion, but upside down is fine.