Heresy and Cornwall combination

cornsy

Hello Klipscheads out there :-)

I have been a very content owner of 2005 Heresy IIs for years, now just picked up some 1979 Cornwalls as I wanted more low frequencies mainly.

In direct comparison the Cornwalls sound a bit muffled from the middle up, not a great surprise given the age, so I'm thinking about refreshing the probably worn crossovers.

Doing the A/B comparison I wondered what they would sound like operated in parallel.. the brilliant highs of the Heresy and the great bass of the Cornwall.. so to say a Cornsy ;-)

Could this be done, would it make sense?

Would it work just to connect the amp to the new crossovers, and then a driver pair directly to the applicable section of the crossover, bypassing the original crossovers?

Setup: Synthesis Seamus (one set of speaker ports only), Vincent CD-S6, Linn Sondek LP12.

Please be gentle :-)

It would work in parallel or series, but you need the cross over for each model in place to appropriately send the signals to the drivers at the correct frequencies... heresys and cornwalls cross differently.

The sound from that setup isn't going to be impressive though.

6392272989_d1cd00293e_o.jpg

I did it years ago because I didn't know better and I had many speakers at my disposal.

It will yield a wall of sound that is somewhat immersive and enveloping but it will be unresolved and messy.

No focus or real resolution... not to mention you'll loose all air around the individual sounds. It will also extremely tax your amplifier unless you use individual amplification for each speaker/set of speakers .

• Like 1

Congrats on the new Cornwalls! Sounds like they need a simple refresh and possible upgrade to get the best out of them. There are several threads already about updating old Cornwalls but I'd start with re-capping / upgrading or replacing the old crossovers with B-2's and replacing the mid driver / horn gaskets at the very minimum.

As far as wiring the two sets of speakers together there are several reasons not to do it including the possibility of damaging your equipment so I'd be very cautious.

4 hours ago, cornsy said:

Doing the A/B comparison I wondered what they would sound like operated in parallel.. the brilliant highs of the Heresy and the great bass of the Cornwall.. so to say a Cornsy ;-)

LOL!  It sounds like a marketing genuis is born.  :rolleyes:

It sounds like Shu ^^^ was the perfect person to answer all your questions about "how well would this work."  That probably saved you a lot of time.

In any case, welcome to the forum.  :emotion-21:  :emotion-19:

What Schu said.  I will also add that Cornwalls with re-capped x-overs will deliver clear HF that you are hearing in the Heresys.  It should be mentioned that the tweeters are different in the HII and the '79 Cornwalls, so there is a slightly different character or timbre between these speakers.  Also, my '79 Cornwalls were improved with the addition of a 9kHz filter in the x-over due to the 9kHz bump that occurs in some K55V squawker drivers (search the Forum for "P-trap").

Thanks for the brilliant replies, you cleared that one up beyond a shadow of a doubt :-)

I just ordered the B-2 crossovers and the mid driver/horn gaskets from the ever so helpful Bob Crites. Will leave the wiring untouched, just maybe get new terminals, the existing ones don't make the best impression.. Any suggestions?

Leaving the tweeters alone for the time being also, the diaphragms were replaced with original Klipsch material by the previous owner/klipsch-direct.

I am already getting used to the much-enhanced low level sound over the Heresy, and hoping the new crossovers and currently ongoing Vincent upgrade by AVS Oymann in Germany will do the rest. The Blue Note Trip vinyl on the Sondek does sound fabulous already, all those low level details that just weren't there with the Heresy...

The cabinets need a lot of work also, grill material (they went missing completely over time) to tie them into the office design is already on the way, will post a few pics once it's done.

Needless to say the better half was not impressed -- bordering on outright shock -- when she saw the beasts, but then again they live in my man-cave/office... maybe I can smuggle the Heresys plus a subwoofer into the living room of the new house ;-)

P1011333sm.JPG

Edited by cornsy

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Not impressed by the sound of the cornwalls? Either something is wrong, or she's used to much more expensive speakers because a well tuned cornwall is a very nice sounding speaker.

No, just unpleasantly surprised by the size, and concerned about the reach of the sound. We had long planned to upgrade the mancave door, now that time has come :-)

17 hours ago, cornsy said:

Needless to say the better half was not impressed -- bordering on outright shock -- when she saw the beasts,

but then again they live in my man-cave/office... maybe I can smuggle the Heresys plus a subwoofer into the living room of the new house ;-)

Boy, are you in the right place when it comes to those kinds of comments. Welcome to the club!

I did sneak a sub into the living room.  It was my first Klipsch!  :emotion-21:  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the new crossovers / midrange horn to driver gaskets are installed.

That plus the Vincent upgrade (most noticable difference the new direct output that goes direct D/A -> tube -> out) improve the sound significantly, mids and highs much clearer, bass full.

I freshened up the cabinets, made new grills, they look great, just missing badges, once I got those I will post a pic.

So far, so good.

Now it seems I need a sub to fill in the missing bits at the bottom. My other setup (B&W 802,

Any suggestions? SVS SB 1000 has come to my attention..

Edited by cornsy