Want to trade my 1965 Klipschorns

jeff spicoli

I regretfully have to get rid of my vintage 1965 Klipschorn speakers. The only reason I am not keeping  them is because I bought a new house and I don’t think I can make these beautiful sounding speakers fit. The house is well over 120 years old and the trim is the deal breaker. It literally kills me to let these go. I’ve owned them longer than any speaker and I had hoped to pass them to my son (he’s 15).

The serial numbers are 2D162 and 2D169 and they are model  K-B-WO. I bought them from the original owner. He got them from his wife who had been married before and they were her first husband’s speakers. I think he said they got them in St. Louis. They had small dogs and they marked the sides of the grills. I was going to clean them but left them alone because they never really bothered me. The speakers are just how I received them and I’ve don’t nothing to alter their appearance. They are not perfect and have many bumps and bruises but overall they displayed nice in my home.

I recently traded for a restored Altec Lansing 345a tube amp which I was planning on pairing up with the Klipschorns. I’d like to trade my speakers for a pair of high efficient speakers of equal value.  I would also trade up or down and some items on my want list are:

Altec 445 preamp  or good tube preamp (from that era).                    

Altec model 19

Cornwalls

Any good speakers that pair well with tubes (that doesn’t need a corner to go it)

The room dimensions are 12’ x 9 ‘. If I can swing it I may be able to put them in a larger 16’ x 10’6 room. I listen to Jazz and Blues to Death and Black Metal and everything in between. I also have a Sansui AU9500 and a Marantz 2226b that I will be swapping in and out.

I realize this is a long post but I never intended on selling these and wanted to be a clear and thorough as I can be. If you’re interested pm me and I can send lots of pictures and we can talk.

OVERALL.jpg

SERIAL NUMBER 1.jpg

SERIAL NUMBER 2.jpg

FRONT 1.jpg

FRONT 2.jpg

CROSSOVER 1.jpg

I think you could overcome the trim problem with some 2 inch pipe foam insulation. No need to get rid of these beauties. However those oil capacitors needed to be changed out about 30 years ago and again now...lol. Once you change those out you wont want to trade I bet.

If the trim in the picture is the problem....you do NOT have a problem. The only problem I see is there to close together but hey I would keep them.

What you trade for will only let you down I think then you will be with out what you had and maybe kicking yourself. I would try other speakers before you decide on this move.

My vote is KEEP them.

• Like 1

I never thought of the pipe foam. The speakers sit out almost 1.5 inches because of the trim. I guess I could try it as long as there is a good seal. Yes I agree with the size of the room is kinda small AND the crossovers need updated badly. With the couch and stereo rack it would be tight.

3 hours ago, jeff spicoli said:

I regretfully have to get rid of my vintage 1965 Klipschorn speakers. The only reason I am not keeping  them is because I bought a new house and I don’t think I can make these beautiful sounding speakers fit. The house is well over 120 years old and the trim is the deal breaker. It literally kills me to let these go. I’ve owned them longer than any speaker and I had hoped to pass them to my son (he’s 15).

Those are beautiful examples of 1965 Khorns.

As you already know, those are worth the most to you and someday, to your son.  For him to listen to speakers that meant so much to you for much of your life and all his life is a legacy that is priceless and irreplaceable.

You can put my vote down as hoping you find a way to make them work in the new-to-you house, and keep them in the family.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind replies. Id like to keep them and if I would I wouldn't get the full potential. I thought about storring them and possibly building a room to fit them in but that would be a long time from now. As far as price, I really don't know. That's why I thought I'd try and trade them 

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Are those the original crossovers?  The AA's were introduced in the 1970's because of the more powerful SS amps that were out and blowing tweeters. 

I have notes to the effect the AA XO's were used from 1971-1982.  The Type A was from 1960-1970.  That is unconfirmed.

They sit out 1.5 inches.....that is nothing ...easily fixed with pipe foam. You will not miss any potential with them.

But you do need to put new caps. in them for sure. Easy to do!!!!!!!

My sons will be dragging mine out of my cold dead hands.......lol......

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ricktate said:

They sit out 1.5 inches.....that is nothing ...easily fixed with pipe foam. You will not miss any potential with them.

But you do need to put new caps. in them for sure. Easy to do!!!!!!!

I agree.  I have toed my Khorns in a few inches from the corner and I like the sound better.  I know it is not theoretically perfect but still good enough for phenomenal sound.

If you want a nice father/son project, this would be a good time to teach your son how to solder on those crossovers.

If you don't know how to solder, this would be a good time to order a soldering station and learn how to solder, along with your son.  B)