la scala blown woofer

Roche.way

9 minutes ago, Roche.way said:

just purchased a pair of la scalas and running a crown xli2500 and blew. the woofer at high volume but not clipping the amp looking for good replacement driver

Congrats on blowing the woofer, not many here will have that experience for one reason or another.

In a few min the wizards will be along to recommend a replacement, hang in there, and i salute you Sir:emotion-21:

And you dam sure deserve a "Like" for doing that :emotion-21:

I would put money on this:

"The speakers were just not providing enough low bass, so I cranked up the bass on the amp...and next thing ya know....blown woofer!!  I just don't understand...I was ONLY pushing 750 watts into a speaker rated at 110 watts!"

But, I am only GUESSING this is what happened...:P

• Like 5

1 minute ago, richieb said:

Seven hundred fifty watts through a LaScalla? Yeah, that makes good sense. Hard of hearing? If I can run myself out of the room with 2.5 watts where that does run you to -- the next state??

the far side of Jupiter?

"Although the amp wasn't clipping the woofer blew".  The tweeters are probably gone as well.  I can't think of a suitable driver to put in there.  You need to find a different amp for the Lascalas or different speakers for that amp.  Your amp is rated at 550 wpc @ 8 Ohms.  If you keep the amp put it on a set of KI-396's.

• Like 1

Kinda reminds me of what happened sometime around the late 1970's into the early 1980's:  A promoter had decided to put on a weekend outdoor concert in northern Arkansas and call it the "Arkansas Jam"...something similar to the infamous "Texas Jam" that was being held at the Dallas Cowboys football stadium each summer.  Well...they decided to purchase a bunch of SUPER stacks of the MCM 1900 speaker system to provide the decibels for the concert...and we built them up for them and shipped them to the location so that they would arrive and have time to set them up and test them a few days before the "Arkansas Jam" was to begin...BUT they were told that when they received them to WAIT until some of our Klipsch R&D folks got there to hook them up, just so that everything was done correctly and nothing would void the warranty.  So....I guess that just like any bunch of kids with  new toys, their "technicians" decided that THEY knew BETTER than our R&D department, so they hooked everything up, and fired around FIVE THOUSAND WATTS through them at full volume prior to the arrival of our R&D folks, and LITERALLY "fried" them...I mean FRIED!!!!...as in ON FIRE!...well...more like BAR-B-QUED since open flames were involved...and the worst part about the whole thing is that they had already sold THOUSANDS of tickets, and there was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY we could build MORE of those MCM systems for them in time for the start of the concert...so....that "jump-start of ignorance" by the "Arkansas Jam" "TECHNICIANS" ( I use that term VERY loosely!) pretty much ENDED the plans for an ongoing "Arkansas Jam" to compete with the "Texas Jam", before it even got off the ground!  Any of you showing up at the gathering outta get the FULL story from JRH...I am sure he would be MORE THAN HAPPY to tell it to you!

• Like 3

This can happen in a couple ways:

Mechanical

-There was an air leak either inside the cab or at the baffle and the woofer unloaded at some point.

-Their performance was "de-rated" by using low frequency EQ or the like. Sliding in +10 dB of signal at say 35 Hz knocks 10 dBW off the overall power handling. A boosted cab that could normally handle 32V broad band will then take only 10V before the woofer self destructs.

Thermal

The woofers were simply driven at excessive voltage for too long.

Sucks, but it happens...much more common in pro sound. K33 or  K43 replacements / equivalents are available through Klipsch, Crites, and some other outlets.

3 hours ago, richieb said:

Seven hundred fifty watts through a LaScalla? Yeah, that makes good sense. Hard of hearing? If I can run myself out of the room with 2.5 watts where that does run you to -- the next state??

It all makes sense now:

19 hours ago, Roche.way said:

just purchased a pair of la scalas and running a crown xli2500 and blew. the woofer at high volume but not clipping the amp looking for good replacement driver

This will do it!  And sound EXCELLENT.  Get the H version.

https://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2226.pdf

Don't be too hard on him, he IS looking for help! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, minermark said:

Bookmarked, i like having a go-to place if i get itchy fingers with my Volume knob, thank you.

Agreed sometimes alcohol makes me stupid and apparently hard of hearing :lol:

• Like 1