MCM's and the Arkansas Jam

HDBRbuilder

JRH...when you get a chance...please tell the story of the "pre-Arkansas Jam MCM-1900 SPEAKER BAR-B-QUE event" put on by the event "technicians" they had up there...prior to the arrival of the Klipsch R&D folks who were SUPPOSED to be the ones to hook everything up properly....this "history lesson" should be easy for you because you were involved...no research needed!

2 hours ago, JRH said:

You're going to have to elaborate a little.  I'm not getting a picture................

OK...remember when some promoters decided that Arkansas needed its own version of the "Texas Jam" (the ones that used to be held in Dallas at the stadium?)...and they purchased a large array of the MCM 1900 for that "Arkansas Jam".  Then, we built them up with just a few days to spare and tested them and shipped them up to northern Arkansas where the Arkansas Jam was to be held.  The engineering department had told them to unload them when they got them and set them up where they wanted them to be, and the Klipsch folks would come up and do all of the hooking up the speakers to ensure they were done correctly.  But the Arkansas Jam folks decided to hook them up, without waiting for our folks to get there, and they fried them...something about way too much power was put into them...if I remember correctly it was 5000 watts or something like that.  The speakers actually caught fire...The woofers looked like they had been blown up and bar-b-qued!  I can remember seeing the remains when they were shipped back. The interior of the cabinets were toasted from the woofers catching fire, etc.  You hadn't been at Klipsch very long then...maybe a year or two...but the R&D folks were all amazed at what happened.  And the Arkansas Jam folks were pretty ticked off that we couldn't get them more built up and to them on such a short notice...and they were even insisting that we replace them at no cost (which I am sure NEVER happened!).  Either way, they had no MCM systems for that Arkansas Jam because we could not build more in time for it.  I wish I had taken pics of what they looked like when we got them back!

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh..........toasted woofers like Kerry used to make!  I got the job of analyzing the remains.  When a woofer actually catches fire, it is usually a stupid amount of power, either resulting in "hitting the stops" with mechanical damage and subsequent shorting out, or the amp is clipping and sending square waves with an inordinate amount of high frequencies (heat!).  I've looked at several smoked woofers over the years, so the specifics on these are lost.

JRH...they were probably the FIRST ones you examined at Klipsch ...this happened right after you got there...within your first year or so.  I'm not even sure these had the 4-way manifold in the MSM squawker, yet...because that didn't happen until a few months after you got there...wasn't that one of your first projects?

The area where the woofers were mounted inside the MCM cabinets looked like somebody had taken a blow-torch to them, and the woofers themselves were toasted and they were just a pile of rubbish with a frame and magnet attached to what looked like a miniature copper slinky that had been run over by a tank (the voice-coil!).  No words can describe the remains of the cones!