Help on setup: Integra DHC 80.1

Coytee

Bought it used since I felt it met my needs and I didn't want to spend an additional $3,000...

The thing is immaculate, absolutely brand new looking.  Seller (must be OCD) packaged it back up, wrapped everything up in its wrapper...it really was like opening a new box.

I don't know what settings he used.

DVD/video plays fine on tv.

Satellite however, gets me a blue screen with nothing on it.

Wondering if I have a cable issue (both cables worked fine prior) or perhaps a setup issue.  I'm stumped.

Anyone care to type or talk me through this?

Coytee,

I came very close to pulling the trigger on an Integra 80.1 a few years ago and it came down to it and my current NAD T175HD.  I really did not have a favorite between the two and price was the deciding factor.  The deal on the NAD was one I could not pass up.  Less features obviously than the Integra and inferior Audyssey(MultEQ XT vs XT32) but my experience with the sound quality of my NAD T773 AVR also held some weight.  

I own and have owned many Onkyo/Integra pieces and have always been impressed with them.  A4Less has often had the Integra 80.2 refurbished for less than $1000.00 and I get pretty antsy about pulling the trigger when they do.

Enjoy your new Integra and let us know what you think.

Bill

Still having setup issues.

Keep in mind, I'm primarily working blind, reaching behind the stack of stuff.  Here's a picture to give you an idea 

Here's a question...

I have my DVD/BR plugged into the HDMI DVD/BR input.  It works.  I get video and sound.  I have my DTV setup in the Cable/Sat HDMI.  I can get sound but no video.

No problem says I...  let's do some swapping.  I put it into the TV/Tape input....  sound but no video.

Hmmm...  I put it into the known working plug (DVD/BR) and again, get sound but no video.

Clearly I'm not doing something right.

I appreciate any thoughts

I might add...  I did buy this used.  It was supposed to be 100% functional and given the condition of it, it certainly didn't suffer any abuse.  Only paid about $400 shipped so I figure I have some wiggle room with it.

I have two HDMI lines strung across the room (buried in walls)  I can have one of them hooked to DTV and the other can be hooked to the Inetegra.

This allows me to have movies over the system, TV (generally concerts) over the system (audio is plugged into inputs directly from Sat box) AND, I can turn system off and listen to TV late at night.

So, dual wires give me some options that using a single one won't.

Still....  I'd like to get it working like it should so I have a starting point.

You can see the header across the top.  My head will just barely fit between that and the amp on top to give a sideways look at the back of the Integra.  Meanwhile, I'm standing on a stool bent over, hoping the wife doesn't pull it out from under me!

Also, just now tried a fiber optic wire, plugged into the Integra and going to the DTV box.  Again, I get sound but no video (presuming the unit is looking at the fiber optic input)

Imagine your 99 year old parent/grand parent....sitting them down in front of a Windows PC (and they have never used a PC before) and you say "go for it"

That's kind of where I am with this.

Integra.thumb.jpg.e46f8ece067fb27fbd71fa7bc998aded.jpg

Is your TV set to the right HDMI input? (assuming there is more than 1)

I have basically the same set up with the younger sister Onkyo pre/pro 5508. I just tried a few tests to replicate your dilemma. When I changed the input on my tv, I got sound but no video.

Yes, TV is set to HDMI input 1.

Interesting update... last night, I reset everything again.

Basically starting from scratch.

I got the TV working (through the Integra) but now the DVD didn't work.

I just went to bed!!

I dont know the name of the part, but there is the optical input/ouput.  The wire with the red light.

Can that be used for video as well as audio?  

Could I use it between the DTV box and Integra (running full signal to the Integra) while at same time, hook HDMI to DTV box, directly to TV input so now, I can go both ways?

I can have signal routed through Integra via optical wire or switch to "input 2" on tv and have HDMI direct from the box?

I think I only have one of these optical wires.  I have three inputs on the Integra.  Would that be a better way to go for the CD player?  DVD player?  ALL inputs??

Is HDMI preferred?

i'll take a stab at it           lets start from the beginning. i don't know integra but they all should be the same

if you have 2 items you want to hook up and they both are hdmi you have to go into the menu and assign hdmi to these inputs. previous owner or factory could have these set to optical or whatever.

what does it say on the back of the receiver for hdmi #1

''                                                                     for hdmi #2

watch dvd you select dvd on the remote

watch cab/sat select cab/sat on the remote

my elite has 7 hdmi inputs and i'm using 1-4 and i have SKIP selected on 5-6-7

using ARC from the TV back to my elite to have all the switching to work

• Like 1

That's what I (think) I did....

In general, it (used to be) pretty basic...

"out goes to in"  (none of this steering stuff to mess with)

What has me laughing a bit at myself...  for the life of me, I could not get the TV to play but, the DVD was jamming.  Started from scratch, hit reset and started over.

Now, as of last night, the TV is playing perfectly and the DVD is dead. CD player works in both situations.

Clearly I've buggered something up!

If all else fails, go Here

There is a known issue with HDMI failures on Onkyo / Integra. Type in your serial number (as new) as they don't track receipts or original invoice.

My hdmi board was replaced thru this program.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1652514-onkyo-acknowledges-failed-units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html

Loss of sound experienced on a specific channel
Loss of sound experienced on all channels
Speaker indicator on display is not showing
Speaker indicator on display is on
"Now Initializing..." message on display is showing constantly
Network settings in Setup Menu is grayed out (unselectable)
Loss of video on HDMI output
Noise/crackled audio comes out of speakers (after verifying speaker wires and audio connections are secure)

I'll take pot luck any day!

Tinkered around again...  to be honest, I can't say that I'm sure what I did because most of it looked to be exactly what I did prior...

That said, the TV is working, DTV is working...  the CD player is working using that optical line (I totally disconnected the RCA jacks)

Question on the CD player...it's a SACD player.  Can I presume that an appropriate disk will play correctly over the optical cable instead of needing numerous RCA lines?

(I'm guessing it will work fine)

Question II:  Will the CD player/system automatically recognize a SACD and play it appropriately?  (I only have a couple of those disks)

Decided to put Top Gun in as I'm presuming it will have some decent effects with the jets....

The credits are not even off the screen when the wife comes downstairs, letting me know that things upstairs are rattling (yes?!?!!!  (this is my unspoken goal)) and therefore, I have to turn it down...

sigh...

I guess it's kind of like having a Ferrari and only being allowed to drive 35 MPH through the neighborhood to get a loaf of bread.  Not even allowed to take it to the highway...  then again, I've never driven a Ferrari so I don't really know.

;)

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Coytee said:

The credits are not even off the screen when the wife comes downstairs, letting me know that things upstairs are rattling (yes?!?!!!  (this is my unspoken goal)) and therefore, I have to turn it down...

Sounds like it's working out better. One day put the same thing on and turn it up and go upstairs and see what's going on. It would be good to know at what volume settings downstairs actualy sounds like upstairs. Try with music also so you know what's ok upstairs, got to expect a little vibration and sound upstairs.

On 3/17/2017 at 6:45 PM, Coytee said:

Keep in mind, I'm primarily working blind, reaching behind the stack of stuff.

It would have been nice if that rack was a little smaller and had wheels, it could spin in the cabinet.

• Moderators

First thought was one of those shelves on a heavy track that slide out, but after looking at the picture, that would be alot of equipment dangling out in the air, kind of scary. Plus once your done it may be a long time before you need to get back there again, hopefully. 

I made a stand that holds the Tv and all equipment for 2ch and Ht plus the center channel and put hidden wheels on the bottom so the whole thing rolls out, and I still hate pulling it out and dealing with that bird nest back there, trying to remember why I ran wires like I did to get everything to work, mostly the HT.

Coytee,

I have one and the manual.  It can be a challenge, at times.  I had to take mine back to the dealer in ATL to get my DVD-A analog ins to work.  That said, it did *seem* to send hi-res audio through the HDMI and decode it in the 80.1.  I'll PM you my phone number.  Worst case, it's only 100 mi to TYS.