MCM 1900 Active or Passive?

Sprinter1104

I hope you guys will cut me some slack for my lack of understanding on how to interpret crossover points and what they mean. I've read the data sheet for the MCM Grand and it's still not clear. It states in a 4 way configuration the crossover points are 350 hz, 1000 hz and 6000 hz. So does that mean that frequency ranges by component are:

MWM: 40 - 350 hz

MSSM: 350 - 1000 hz

MSM 1000 - 6000 hz

MTM everything above 6000 hz

When setting the crossover points in the active network do I specify the starting and ending frequency for each unit to correspond to the list above?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Screenshot 2017-03-18 08.29.36.png

1 hour ago, Sprinter1104 said:

That's awesome Roger. I hesitate to ask (risky profession) do you know who he is driving for this year. My wife and I are heading to Indy this year and plan on seeing the little 500 at Anderson Speedway the night before.

No idea, I don't follow sprint cars much, even though Eldora and the Kings Royal are not to far away. I just know a few racers, and that one just happens to be family. I have pictures of jim as a child at our farm with his Quarter Midget when he was just a little kid  ;)

Roger

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Name dropper... ;)

Roger... hope the weather has been treating you well. Would love to hear your TCSMs some time.

Bruce

Hey Bruce!

It has been cold here. We got about 2-3 inches of snow 3 days ago, but it is mostly melted now. Pat, as in Pat and Erica, or their forum names of Otis and Aunt Bea are about 1.5 hours away, and on their way here to pick up my two KPT-684s and four KP-600 cabs that he paid me for a year ago, so the wife and I are cleaning up, trying to get ready. I have someone lined up that wants to veneer my TSCMs for me, but just to many irons in the fire right now with too much money going out to do everything I want. Need to put money back for Pilgramige right now in a major way. If I ever get things sorted out, I would love to have you over for a listen!  ;)

Roger

32 minutes ago, Sprinter1104 said:

I hope you guys will cut me some slack for my lack of understanding on how to interpret crossover points and what they mean. I've read the data sheet for the MCM Grand and it's still not clear. It states in a 4 way configuration the crossover points are 350 hz, 1000 hz and 6000 hz. So does that mean that frequency ranges by component are:

MSM 1000 - 6000 hz

I've got some that I intend to go active so I'll ask a different way and maybe it will help Sprinter.

For the:

bass bins, would you put a low-pass on there with a crossover at 350

Mid bass: high pass at 350 and low pass at 1,000

MSM: high pass at 1,000 and low pass at 6,000

MTM: high pass at 6,000

??

Those high & low pass filters always get me tripped up

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:14 AM, Sprinter1104 said:

MSM 1000 - 6000 hz

When setting the crossover points in the active network do I specify the starting and ending frequency for each unit to correspond to the list above?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:48 AM, Coytee said:

I've got some that I intend to go active so I'll ask a different way and maybe it will help Sprinter.

For the:

??

You both are correct, using these specs for the original drivers in that 4-way system. You might also consider an active-passive crossover arrangement, maybe a passive between the MSM midrange and the MTM tweeter, to allow using fewer amplifiers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

You both are correct, using these specs for the original drivers in that 4-way system. You might also consider an active-passive crossover arrangement, maybe a passive between the MSM midrange and the MTM tweeter, to allow using fewer amplifiers.

Thanks Khornukopia, I should have the hardware here in a couple of days and I'll give it a go.

On 3/18/2017 at 9:48 AM, Coytee said:

For the:

??

Thanks Coytee, This explanation makes sense to me.