McIntosh 2100 or 2120?

32blownhemi

On 3/18/2017 at 0:13 AM, Dawson's Ridge said:

I believe modern McIntosh amplifiers are the best match for Klipsch speakers but not 30-50 year old units. If budget is an issue, a new Parasound A23, which is a class A/A/B with parts and construction quality similar to a new McIntosh, for $995 is a far better and more reliable product.   

How would a MA6900 work ?

3 hours ago, whatever55 said:

How would a MA6900 work ?

The current generation of McIntosh integrated amplifiers, beginning with the MA6600, represent a significant improvement in design and performance compared to older designs. This is because the modern units have the same quality as separates except for not being fully balanced (which does not affect performance). Better performance can be attributed to the use of Thermal Trak output transistors, 2-stage differential balanced voltage amplifier, electromagnetic switching, variable rate digital volume control, fiber optic lighting, etc.

Older McIntosh integrated amplifiers are no match for modern units. People can spend a little bit more for a modern unit and get much better performance and reliability. I personally don't believe older models are worth considering, regardless of price. 

4 hours ago, 32blownhemi said:

Now I'm confused on what pre-amp to get!   Bill

It is matter of whether or not you want analog inputs for a turntable and FM tuner.  If so, then you will need C2300/2500/2600. If not, then D100/150 or MCD500/550 would work.  With an analog pre-amp you will still need CD player, DAC (if CD player doesn't have input/output), turntable, FM tuner, and lots of cables!