JTR subs?

Grizzog

Just now, John Albright said:

Having done 1, then 2, then 4 subs, I am a big proponent of multiple subwoofers.  I would have recommended 2 that were cheaper had I found this sooner.  The componentry looks top-notch. 

Ideally, I'd love to have 2. Unfortunately, my room doesn't allow for 2 right now. I've actually found that pointing the subwoofer to the side really helps the bass throughout the room. Before there were large peaks/nulls, and now pretty much every seat in the room has the same level.

I had two orbit shifter LFs in a ~2800 cubic foot dedicated room. It was very intense - ridiculous even. I eventually sold one and just ran one, which was also a beast, all by itself. I ran it at like 15% of its potential max. For this reason, and to smooth out some nulls, I eventually went in another direction with some different ported subs.

I never dealt with Jeff because I bought mine used, but I would never hesitate to buy JTR. Jeff makes some super high performance and quality gear that does not play around.

I h

• Like 3

@AaronB123 has dual orbit shifters too and it sounds like that is incredibly intense.

My R-115SW has no problem filling my ~2200 c.f. room, or my entire downstairs even. There was a point in one movie that it had opened a drawer on the opposite end of the house.

I don't need more output over the R-115, but I would like a bit more clarity. Although the Klipsch is fantastic for movies, I find myself wanting more for music. My HSU ULS-15 MKII is much better in this regard, but won't handle movies as well. Since it's a dual purpose room, I wanted to see if I could find something that could handle clarity for music and power for movies.

The JTR Captivator 118HT looks to fit the bill. The woofer is extremely light and is 100db sensitive. I think that will match quite nicely with the Chorus II. It also has about 9-10db more output across the board against the Klipsch, so I'm not concerned about losing any power. Built in USA and in walnut are both big selling points for me too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been waiting. it's been 8 weeks. where's the picture. considering getting the same sub. really want to hear your thoughts.

Only pic I have at the moment when I was getting it into positron. This thing is amazing!

92da3de2f2bf9c4635fa0b033f89c37c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

that was quick. thanks. it is beautiful. looks like a perfect fit for me. gonna have to seriously look into it. 

I'll be more articulate when I get some time, but I'll say this is the best subwoofer I've ever heard.

Looks fantastic!  Do they come with feet of any kind?

No feet on them. I'm just using some felt furniture pads underneath (not the moving pads in the photo).

Jeff from JTR recommends essentially what I'm using and doesn't pre install feet because his customers either put the sub the way I have it or on its side.

• 1 year later...