NBS...

Schu

Since I got my NBS I have not used my Peach.  The NBS is quieter for sure, but sounds better to me as well.  The Peach might have a little more 3D effect.  The NBS allows use of the lo and hi Z outputs simultaneously which is a nice feature to drive a sub.

31 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

NBS allows use of the lo and hi Z outputs simultaneously which is a nice feature to drive a sub.

That is a unique option that is hard to find on any tube preamp.

Good grief....I do answer emails....

The NBS has nothing in common with the Peach. 

It is loosely based on the Merlin line stage but hugely upgraded. I stumbled onto the idea doing a mad scientist upgrade to a Merlin I owned. The phono section has allot in common with the Tercel phono stage. 

A schematic....If I say what I'd like to say in response to some comments in this thread would end up locked...I'll just say no complete schematic exists at this point. 

Schu...What was that last tube preamp you owned? Were you able to find a schematic for it? 

Oh he'll no... no preamp schematic exists for the eastern electric... and since I am never going back I could care less. I knew that would be an intermediate step in tube pre lifestyle, I wanted to be sure I was making the correct step into tubes before jumping off the cliff. Now, I am never going back so that's a moot point. The NBS is another story... it is a long term investment which I intend to keep for a long time.

If no schematic exists, then that's the way it is... if it's loosely based on something else, but upgraded... I could care less. All I care about is if it works... and it works well.

• 1 year later...

NBS = New Blueberry Supreme. :-)

It’s not based off of the Peach. 

Craig did make some significant improvements, especially in the grounding scheme. The Blueberry could be a little quirky, those issues have been resolved. And of course, better build quality and point-to-point. 

I have the schematic - not scheduled for release until Craig kicks the bucket.  :-)

• Like 1

The New Blueberry Supreme thing was a private joke between Craig and me. We had a lot of fun with that one.

I'd forgotten about the Merlin tweaks.

Mark Deneen did real good with those designs, but everyone kept having oddball issues with them, and the connectors off those PCBs were terrible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deang said:

NBS = New Blueberry Supreme. :-)

It’s not based off of the Peach. 

Craig did make some significant improvements, especially in the grounding scheme. The Blueberry could be a little quirky, those issues have been resolved. And of course, better build quality and point-to-point. 

I have the schematic - not scheduled for release until Craig kicks the bucket.  :-)

--- I once owned a BB then a Peach or might have been two BB's. Getting old and can't remember. But I do remember they were all noisy regardless the quality of tube I used. Noisy doesn't work for me - they were goners' ?!

I have a Peach form 2007 (or there abouts).  I use it all the time to this day.  It has never failed.  It went back to Mark 4-5 times for every upgrade except the remote.  So it has the 6H30 and it is pretty quiet,.  Not as quiet as the NBS.

I also have an NBS (No BS)........:)

The funny thing is I prefer the Peach with my VRDs over the NBS and that is how I have my lascalas setup today.  More 3D............same comment I made last year.

The NBS is used for driving my Xilica active crossover for my Jubs, and it does this marvelously.  Peach had no capability to interface with Pro equipment.   All noise.

This oughta make Craig post.  :)

I still have my Merlin... a gift from forum members approx. 13 years ago. It has never given me any problems at all, although the 6922 tube tended to be a little noisy. After changing to a 6DJ8, it's be really good.

Bruce

3 hours ago, mark1101 said:

I have a Peach form 2007 (or there abouts).  I use it all the time to this day.  It has never failed.  It went back to Mark 4-5 times for every upgrade except the remote.  So it has the 6H30 and it is pretty quiet,.  Not as quiet as the NBS.

I also have an NBS (No BS)........:)

The funny thing is I prefer the Peach with my VRDs over the NBS and that is how I have my lascalas setup today.  More 3D............same comment I made last year.

The NBS is used for driving my Xilica active crossover for my Jubs, and it does this marvelously.  Peach had no capability to interface with Pro equipment.   All noise.

This oughta make Craig post.  :)

Yup that gets me to post ....it's pretty hard not to point out you did a complete 180 in this thread...

Before you said..

"Since I got my NBS I have not used my Peach.  The NBS is quieter for sure, but sounds better to me as well.  The Peach might have a little more 3D effect.  The NBS allows use of the lo and hi Z outputs simultaneously which is a nice feature to drive a sub."

So which is it LOL 

• Like 1

I knew you'd get here sooner or later.  

Well things changed in my house quite a lot.  I got Jubs and added a whole other system (digital).  I also finally paired up a single lascala I had for a long time and now I have a system for those as well.

When I posted in 2017, I think I had just gotten my NBS a few months before, and didn't have what I just mentioned yet.  So the Peach just sat for awhile.

Since I picked up the Jubs I needed a preamp and the Peach won't drive a processor or any pro equipment very well.  The NBS does this very well and that setup is very quiet and accurate.

I paired the Peach with the VRDs and lascalas.  Just how it worked out, and I really like that setup and its strong point is imaging.

Honestly, The Peach and NBS are both very good at what they do best.  They are not the same.  I enjoy them both and use them both all the time.

3 hours ago, Schu said:

6dj8 and certain No Bull Shyte...

33425253461_b3f9230530_k.jpg

maybe craig could discuss what attenuators he used?

The 6DJ8 variety sounded better to me.  I used an Amperex 7208 and Seimens CCA in there.