NBS...

Schu

My forum search skills suck, but there was an epic meltdown between Craig and Mark on this very topic a few years ago. Dig around and you might be able to find it.

it may be unfindable - I'm pretty sure the link referenced in this thread is what I was thinking of, and it has been blackholed:  

It was extremely entertaining; very wan-dermis.

Who created what, is always open to question.  Carl Sagan illustrated the crux of the issue.   Carl Sagan: "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

3 hours ago, Schu said:

I want ask those that might know... was the schematic ever released for Craigs NBS Preamp? Where does the NBS differ or how closely does the layout compare to the Juicy Peach?

I really, really doubt there is a released schematic.

Your best bet is to email Craig.

Is Craig still actively producing the NBS preamp?  If so, how can you reasonably expect that he would release a schematic?  Now, as far as the Juicy Music (anything), I could care less cause I'd never buy anything from MD anyway....even if it was second hand....

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I could care less cause I'd never buy anything from MD anyway....even if it was second hand....

For various reasons, I ended up with a JM Merlin. It's an exceptional linestage for the money. MD was always nice to me. CO has always been nice too.

Bruce

I didn't realize this would be such a polarizing subject even if there were some friction between Mark and Craig on this subject when they were first built years ago.

I am looking for support and information on my preamp so I am not completely in the dark as I go into the future of ownership.

I would hate to own a tube papered.

6 minutes ago, Schu said:

Dude, what the heck does papered mean? :rolleyes:

Seriously and if I ruffle feathers so be it. I have been trying my best to be civil; screw that from this point I will call it as I see it.
I heard no difference between the Peach and NBS but as members will attest my ears suck.

Build quality goes to the NBS if nothing else for the Peach having the RCA jacks dangling from a board eventually letting gravity win. Pots on the NBS have a better feel.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, USNRET said:

I heard no difference between the Peach and NBS but as members will attest my ears suck.

I'm not an engineer who can read schematics but I recall the 'conversation' that the NBS was based on the Peach schematic...  if accurate, then it would be reasonable for them to sound similar?

I've never heard the NBS so I have no clue and today, my Peach is pulled.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Schu said:

I didn't realize this would be such a polarizing subject even if there were some friction between Mark and Craig on this subject when they were first built years ago.

I am looking for support and information on my preamp so I am not completely in the dark as I go into the future of ownership.

Michael-

You are a master of understatement when you describe the situation as "some friction."  The very crux of the "friction" was the extent to which the two layouts we're alike or differed.  Since you own an NBS preamp, a Peach schematic would be interesting but insufficient to meaningfully understand your NBS.

If I owned an NBS preamp, I would contact Craig.  Having a schematic of your NBS would be useful to you or a technician in the future who needed to work on the unit after Craig is no longer available to service it.  If I were to ask Craig for such a schematic, I would not make any reference to a Peach, or any other "similar" unit upon which its design may, or may not, be based.

As a practical matter, a competent technician could look at either unit and service it.  A schematic would be useful, but not an absolute necessity.

I too am curious about your comment, "I would hate to own a tube papered."

• Like 1