Chuck Berry

oldtimer

• Moderators
On 3/20/2017 at 7:39 AM, Ceptorman said:

I just read he was convicted of raping a 14 year old girl? Is this true? I heard he had some legal problems and served some time, but I thought that was tax related.

No.  It was a violation on the Mann Act.  

His autobiography, which is quite good, talks about a conviction for steeling a car at gunpoint when he was a juvenile (reform school)  tax trouble (4 months) etc.

• Like 1

Who influenced T-Bone?

Regarding the Mann Act, an illustration might help.  There was a research project in St. Louis involving the lifespan of dolphins.  The subjects had lived longer than any known examples.  The scientists suspected a link between their longevity and their diet, which consisted entirely of a specific seagull found only on the Texas Gulf Coast.  A young Chuck Berry was hired by the researchers to drive to Texas to get some birds for the project.  Unfortunately, upon retuning to Missouri, he was stopped and charged with a violation of the Mann Act.  The specific charge was, "transporting gulls across state lines for immortal porpoises."

image.jpeg

• Like 1