Klipschorn Crossovers Using JBL E145, 2482, 2404?

robertg

I am thinking of building a pair of Klipschorn clones using JBL components and I have a few question. Does anyone have a crossover schematic using the E145, 2482, and 2404 combination?

I'm also trying to figure out what horn to use. I have one 2480 lying around, but they only go down to 500 Hz. Has anyone used the JBL 2486 horn?

8 minutes ago, robertg said:

I built a pair of Hartsfields last year, and I didn't think it was that difficult. Just very time consuming.

My E145 and 2404 are 8 ohm, and the 2482 is 16 ohm.

IMG_0395.JPG

Nice work robertg. Very nice indeed. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum, Robert.

Your Harstford project looks spectacular.  Any comment on how they sound?  You could compare to a stock unit, but I doubt many of us would know what that sounds like.  It's probably more interesting to know how they sound standing on their own.

+++

If I could inquire further, what is your interest in building a Khorn clone with JBL components?  Are you trying to build a better Khorn, or maybe you are a fan of JBL components?  I feel sure there's a plan there.

In any case, please take pics of your progress and feel free to document your build here.  I think a lot of people would follow your project with interest.  I know I would.

I can't really comment how the Hartsfields sound. I have an old pair of two way JBL 030 that have a D130 and and an 075 tweeter to compare them to. The Hartsfields do sound better, but they weren't worth the effort. I built them because I like the way that they look. That's why I want to build a Klipschorn.

As far as building them with JBL components, I'm kind of trying to build a better Klipschorn, however I have all of the JBL parts lying around so I figure I might as well use them. When I was doing a Google search on my 2482 JBL drivers, I discovered that some people use them in the Klipschorn.

My next step is to find a reasonably priced horn that will fit in a Klipschorn cabinet, and go to 400 Hz. If I can't I might build them slightly larger, but still to scale. I'm not sure if I really want to do that. 

Welcome to the forum!

I had a pair of JBL 030 systems in C34 rear loaded horns.  With lots of EQ, they sounded good.  Not as good as a Klipschorn.  The Hartsfield had a great midrange horn and lens, the best looking lens ever!  To me, the Hartsfield seemed to lack bass, however.

11 minutes ago, Mancave Man said:

Dave sells his Eliptrac400 squawker horn as a kit.

That's a good idea.  I never even thought of that.

As a dovetail to ManCave Man's suggestion, since people do purchase the Eliptrac horns, that usually means there are some Klipsch horns available on the used market.  If you decide you want stock Klipsch horn, you might put out a WTB in the Garage Sale section.  I bet there are some guys here who have them to sell.

+++

@robertg do you have your plans for the Khorn box?  I think there are some blueprints listed on this Forum somewhere if you need them.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

@robertg do you have your plans for the Khorn box?  I think there are some blueprints listed on this Forum somewhere if you need them.

I found a few sets of plans. I haven't compared them, but they are metric and the writing looks like German to me.

6 hours ago, robertg said:

My next step is to find a reasonably priced horn that will fit in a Klipschorn cabinet, and go to 400 Hz. If I can't I might build them slightly larger, but still to scale. I'm not sure if I really want to do that. 

Grab these, fast. ie immediately.  Don't bother with research or they will be gone.  If it ends up you don't want or like them, you can sell them for at least double what you paid.

$50 for the pair, shipping $15.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Early-Pair-of-Klipch-K-55-V-Midrange-Horns-Serials-6450-and-6151-/122403775032?hash=item1c7fd56238:g:pZ0AAOSwSlBYzY8d

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Grab these, fast. ie immediately.  Don't bother with research or they will be gone.  If it ends up you don't want or like them, you can sell them for at least double what you paid.

$50 for the pair, shipping $15.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Early-Pair-of-Klipch-K-55-V-Midrange-Horns-Serials-6450-and-6151-/122403775032?hash=item1c7fd56238:g:pZ0AAOSwSlBYzY8d

That's just the first bid. I doubt that they will sell for that price.

2 hours ago, robertg said:

My progress so far this weekend.

Nice saw cuts. Do you know that those rectangular corner braces should be notched to allow the back and side chamber air to connect with the end (top and bottom) cavities, and should have a full length gusset in the cavity under the joint, that in your picture shows 4 screw heads and some wiped glue? Best wishes.

18 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Nice saw cuts. Do you know that those rectangular corner braces should be notched to allow the back and side chamber air to connect with the end (top and bottom) cavities, and should have a full length gusset in the cavity under the joint, that in your picture shows 4 screw heads and some wiped glue? Best wishes.

I see what you mean by cutting the notch, otherwise it's wasted space. I'm going to brace everything up better, the top piece and middle piece is just sitting there for now. 

I had to make some practice cuts on those angled pieces, it's kind of like putting up crown moulding in a triangle shaped room. I'm going to have to do some sanding so the sides seal everything up, and maybe use some PL glue to seal everything.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

A better khorn is called the Jubilee, but there are no plans available.

Great woodworking skills, btw.

Bruce

I was thinking of building a Jubilee, but I really wanted to build a Klipschorn. I remember reading a magazine in the mid 80's that had a test on the Klipschorn, and I always wanted a pair since.