Klipschorn Crossovers Using JBL E145, 2482, 2404?

robertg

There are some issues of geometry and driver choice that really need to be considered before construction. 

The woofer (either the K-33 for the Klipsch horn or the K-31 for the Jubilee) have certain electro-mechanical parameters that must be obeyed during the design. Most important are the Fc, Qts, and Vas. These in turn will dictate the throat size and rear volume required. Not all drivers are candidates for horn loading and not all drivers will work properly in a cabinet designed for a different driver. 

Your enthusiasm and wood working skills seem to be top notch, but I would slow down and first think these design issues through.

In terms of the tweeter horn, that choice should be dictated by your tentative crossover point. That in turn is dictated by the horn/driver frequency & phase  response, coverage pattern, distortion and efficiency. Without first knowing those, I would be cautious about some of the advice already posted. 

Finally, although the Klipschorn is one of the great sounding speakers, the Jubilee is a further step up. I have owned both. One of the advantages is that the Jubilee uses a "modified tractrix, constant coverage horn". My friendly advice is to research these terms and please do not confuse this with a "simple tractrix" horn. They are different. This difference is usually ignored or not understood when folks give recommendations. 

Anyhow, I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but these design issues are critical.

Good luck,

-Tom

On 28/03/2017 at 3:41 AM, robertg said:

I was thinking of building a Jubilee, but I really wanted to build a Klipschorn. I remember reading a magazine in the mid 80's that had a test on the Klipschorn, and I always wanted a pair since.

robertg - Here is the article followed by a lively discussion

On 2017-03-30 at 2:42 AM, Wirrunna said:

robertg - Here is the article followed by a lively discussion

That was the article, it looks much bette in colour.

They are coming along, but they were more work than I thought. 

IMG_0493.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been using them for a while, I couldn't fit them in my living room, so they are in my basement for now. I built backs for them, but I have to brace it yet because it really vibrates.

The sound is different that the Hartsfield. When I play the Klipschorn loud the whole house vibrates, not so much with the Hartsfield. However with certain songs the Hartsfield sounds like a cannon is going off in the room.

My next change is to try a pair of JBL 2350 horns. I also got rid of the Wenge and went with Walnut.

IMG_0523.JPG

Very nice work.  You are a very talented woodworker. 

Why don't you try to build a set of the Tractrix horns from the spreadsheet that I linked to instead of the JBL horns (unless you have a paid already)?  You can easily build a set with your abilities.  They are used in the Forte II, Chorous II, Quartet and many aftermarket builders. 

22 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Very nice work.  You are a very talented woodworker. 

Why don't you try to build a set of the Tractrix horns from the spreadsheet that I linked to instead of the JBL horns (unless you have a paid already)?  You can easily build a set with your abilities.  They are used in the Forte II, Chorous II, Quartet and many aftermarket builders. 

Perhaps you are confusing the "tractrix" and the "modified tractrix". 

I was doing research on building a wood horn, I think they are called a Yuichi horn. I still might do it, but it might be easier just to buy one. I don't mind making straight angled cuts, but I'm not sure if I can make a horn with all of its curves.