Is this pair of CL Khorns a reasonable deal?

OtisCampbell

Khorn aficionados lend me your eyes and brains for a second... I'm looking to pick up a pair of Khorns and I'm not sure if this CL offering  is reasonable... They look like birch - I think I would prefer walnut... The price seems on the high end from my limited survey of the market.

Any opinion or advice is welcome:

https://nh.craigslist.org/ele/6038726061.html

• Like 1

a bunch of us have determined that these have a very rare veneer and its called Prima Vera. there is another thread on here about these speakers probably in the alerts section, i'll see if i can find it and post it later.

price is up there but if you like older k-horns and love the finish and are close to pick them up without shipping see what he'll take for them

• Like 2

Those are F, so 1967.  When you are talking about speakers this old, condition is everything.

They look well maintained, the tweeter has been swapped out for a quality piece and the crossovers have been recapped, so that is an update, not an upgrade.  The update is considered reasonable maintenance for a speaker of that vintage to keep the sound fresh and is not a liability to the price of the speakers.

I have only two examples of Khorns that close to being that old and both had Type AA crossovers, $3000 (1977) and 2400 (1973).  The average selling price for Khorns with Type AA is $1958.

SiliconTi ^^^ gave you some information about Khorns in your area.  The prices I have are from all over the country and his advice is probably more valuable than the numbers I listed because he knows the local market.

Are they worth $3500?  That is totally a personal choice and will be determined by what a motivated buyer and seller can agree to.  From a personal point of view if I wanted Khorns 50 years old they would be worth way less than $3500, probably a lot closer to the avg selling price mentioned above.  Khorns do come onto the used market on a regular basis so other ones will become available at some point.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OtisCampbell said:

How easily are the original issue tweeters to source?

They have been around for a long time so they can be found everywhere for a reasonable price on the used market.    Many prefer the stock K-77 to aftermarket units after swapping them out, so it comes down to personal preference.

The downside to the K-77 was that it was considered to be very delicate and blew easily especially with the earlier tube amps.  Klipsch responded to this by changing the Type A to a Type AA by adding a zener diode.  This crossover mod did the job and protected the tweeter with the Type AA being preferred by many Khorn and La Scala owners.

+++

Edit:  @OtisCampbell here is a guy on Ebay selling auctioning a pair of K-77 starting at $50.

• Like 1

CT125 is superior to the K-77 in every way, IMO.

I answered your PM BTW.

I believe those are in fact Primavera, a very rare option.  They look very nice.  I wouldn't worry about that scratch, put a doily over it or something.  Already have a couple of the most common updates installed, good.  I wouldn't dilly-dally around, you'll probably never see a nicer pair for sale.

• Like 1

I think its a pretty good price. Don't forget the top hat does come off for moving.

I do think that big scratch on the front is worth coming down 500 but if he wont come down and you like them better buy them.

I would check bass drivers back chamber air tightness if you do buy them my 72s had leaks.

That scratch on the front would really bother me ..OCD.... but I guess you could put a statue or plant stand in front of it..lol

• Like 1

Congratulations Otis.  Please share photos and the story of the pick up.

We should make it a rule that the CL alerts include the photos and price from the CL listing before it gets deleted.  It's annoying to come across such a thread after the listing has been deleted.

2 hours ago, OtisCampbell said:

Hah! I'm going to see them Sunday with a Uhaul and a pocket full day of Benjamins.. I managed to get a discount that I'm happy with... ;)

I am NOT trying to be a wet blanket and it's good that the ad was taken down but I hope the seller doesn't let them slip out of your hands this week.

• Like 1

To avoid the disappointment of arriving cash in hand to learn that someone else got there first, I would offer to put a deposit by PayPal to hold them a designated amount of time.  That potentially protects the buyer from disappointment and the seller from holding the item for a buyer who fails to complete the deal.  I'd offer $100 that the seller could keep if I failed to complete the transaction.  I'd require the same arrangement as a seller.  

Lesson learned the hard way.  On my way out the door to attend my son's HS football game I contacted a well known forum member, whom I had met personally, to tell him that I would pay his asking price for a pair of Cornwalls.  Upon returning from the football game and contacting the member to make arrangements to collect the Cornwalls, I was told someone else had appeared with cash and the Cornwalls had been sold.

The Cornwalls were to be for the HS band room.  As it turned out, I later purchased La Scalas from Michael Colter.  They're better for the band than Cornwalls, but I'm still annoyed with that member.  Now I would always work a good faith deposit by PayPal, whether buyer or seller, to avoid a repeat of that mess.

Good thoughts there Diz. Once upon a time (and it was told here some years back) I found a pair of Belles for $400 on CL. I immediately called and found that they had been sold within minutes but less than one hour before I called. I was sad.

Next thing I know a JBL buddy calls me up and says hey guess what I just bought.....he saw them, knew I would want them and bought them immediately so they wouldn't slip away. That pair of walnut Belles cost me $400 and some beer / wings at Hooters. He delivered them to me about 1 1/2 hr drive from his crib.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Good thoughts there Diz. Once upon a time (and it was told here some years back) I found a pair of Belles for $400 on CL. I immediately called and found that they had been sold within minutes but less than one hour before I called. I was sad.

Next thing I know a JBL buddy calls me up and says hey guess what I just bought.....he saw them, knew I would want them and bought them immediately so they wouldn't slip away. That pair of walnut Belles cost me $400 and some beer / wings at Hooters. He delivered them to me about 1 1/2 hr drive from his crib.

Now THAT's a good friend!

• Like 3