Airports and stuff

USNRET

So here I sit just after TSA determined that my toothpaste was .2 oz too big. Find a lounge with some "mouthwash" next order of business. Seems a 10 hour stay on this particular island is suspicious.

Every 'port is different. No one will even notice at your next stop. Around Christmas we travelled KC to Tampa and not knowing how "rules" have changed I was prepared with taking shoes off. A TSA noticed what I was doing and announced - please keep your shoes on. Coming back out of Tampa it's shoes off. There is no rhyme  or reason when traveling these days and while we are all for safe flying steadfast rules at every 'port would not only simplify but instill trust with the public. 

8 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

TSA and overall airport security is still a big mess

Agree, that .2 oz toothpaste thing just sounds ridiculous.

Is there any reason why .2 oz of toothpaste could not have been squirted out of the tube to make it legal?

18 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Agree, that .2 oz toothpaste thing just sounds ridiculous.

Is there any reason why .2 oz of toothpaste could not have been squirted out of the tube to make it legal?

No.  It is the container size they care about, not the content amount.

• Moderators

TSA, molesting your Grandmother since 2001.

Guy Who Created The TSA Says It's Failed, And It's Time To Dismantle It

from the say-that-again dept

One of the politicians instrumental in creating the TSA, Rep. John Mica, who wrote the legislation that established the TSA, has apparently decided that the whole thing has been a failure and should be dismantled. He notes that "the whole program has been hijacked by bureaucrats."
�It mushroomed into an army,� Mica said. �It�s gone from a couple-billion-dollar enterprise to close to $9 billion.� 

As for keeping the American public safe, Mica says, �They�ve failed to actually detect any threat in 10 years.� 

�Everything they have done has been reactive. They take shoes off because of [shoe-bomber] Richard Reid, passengers are patted down because of the diaper bomber, and you can�t pack liquids because the British uncovered a plot using liquids,� Mica said. 

�It�s an agency that is always one step out of step,� Mica said. 

It cost $1 billion just to train workers, which now number more than 62,000, and �they actually trained more workers than they have on the job,� Mica said. 

�The whole thing is a complete fiasco,� Mica said.
There's a lot more at that link. Now, one could (and perhaps should) note that when Mica wrote the legislation, his particular political party was in power, and now it's not. So the cynical voice might say that his words are somewhat politically motivated. And one can (and probably should) ask how it was that Mica didn't expect this kind of result. This is what the government does. It creates agencies that are then "hijacked by bureaucrats." While it's nice to see him realizing this now, it's too bad he didn't see it back then.

2 hours ago, dtel said:

TSA, molesting your Grandmother since 2001.

Guy Who Created The TSA Says It's Failed, And It's Time To Dismantle It

from the say-that-again dept

One of the politicians instrumental in creating the TSA, Rep. John Mica, who wrote the legislation that established the TSA, has apparently decided that the whole thing has been a failure and should be dismantled. He notes that "the whole program has been hijacked by bureaucrats."
�It mushroomed into an army,� Mica said. �It�s gone from a couple-billion-dollar enterprise to close to $9 billion.� 

As for keeping the American public safe, Mica says, �They�ve failed to actually detect any threat in 10 years.� 

�Everything they have done has been reactive. They take shoes off because of [shoe-bomber] Richard Reid, passengers are patted down because of the diaper bomber, and you can�t pack liquids because the British uncovered a plot using liquids,� Mica said. 

�It�s an agency that is always one step out of step,� Mica said. 

It cost $1 billion just to train workers, which now number more than 62,000, and �they actually trained more workers than they have on the job,� Mica said. 

�The whole thing is a complete fiasco,� Mica said.
There's a lot more at that link. Now, one could (and perhaps should) note that when Mica wrote the legislation, his particular political party was in power, and now it's not. So the cynical voice might say that his words are somewhat politically motivated. And one can (and probably should) ask how it was that Mica didn't expect this kind of result. This is what the government does. It creates agencies that are then "hijacked by bureaucrats." While it's nice to see him realizing this now, it's too bad he didn't see it back then.

It gets better.  That same genius Mica thought he would make a good Secretary of Transportation.

On the way down I was playing it cool. You know, yes ma'am, no sir. I am TSA Pre Screened / Global. That's when I had minor issues. On the sleep deprived way back I decided to hit back.
Do you have any tobacco? Yes, just what I brought down last night from the states.

You arrived last night and leaving this morning? Yep, why do you ask?

Do you have any alcohol? On me or in me?
Do you have any other ID? You mean other than my valid diplomatic passport in your hand?

Sure here's one. I present my Texas carry license, not amused but just looked at me.

You want another? Present my government department issued CAC card.

Are you screwing with me? Nope, just tired and providing answers to your vague questions.

Hey, I had layover time and needed humor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, USNRET said:

On the way down I was playing it cool. You know, yes ma'am, no sir. I am TSA Pre Screened / Global. That's when I had minor issues. On the sleep deprived way back I decided to hit back.
Do you have any tobacco? Yes, just what I brought down last night from the states.

Do you have any other ID? You mean other than my valid diplomatic passport in your hand?

Sure here's one. I present my Texas carry license, not amused but just looked at me.

Are you screwing with me? Nope, just tired and providing answers to your vague questions.

I once had my military ID card refused as identification at an airport (but, they had no problem accepting my drivers license).

I was nearly stuck in Seattle. The ticket lady excused herself for a few minutes, then returned saying that everything was ok. I asked what was wrong and she said my name showed up on the no-fly list. I said, “that’s funny. Department of Homeland Security will give me a paycheck; but, won’t let me fly.”  Fortunately for me, closer investigation revealed that I was NOT the person that they intended to ban.

While on leave early on in the military the local movie theater wouldn't take a active duty ID for a NC-17 show.

The CAC card I presented to this lady was a DHS/CBP issued card; not my ret. mil. ID.

15 hours ago, USNRET said:

Lets be realistic, you DO look suspicious....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, USNRET said:

I get what the TSA is trying to do (IMO the end result only a token effort toward reducing terrorist events), and that these folk are doing what is probably a thankless job.  I also have the perception that if they don't like the way I look or act, that I could be detained for who knows how long, just because they had a hunch.

so I don't give them any junk.  yes, sir, no sir, etc.  just let me pass thru your checkpoint without being violated too painfully, and if you can, please don't delay me so that I miss my freaking connections.  those are always so painful for me to reschedule