Heresy III or RF-7 II

Elkman99

Hi Guys, first time poster.  So this Saturday I was able to listen to my first set of Heresy III's as they were recommended on the Emotiva site by some posters.  I  absolutely loved them.   However, I do have a couple of questions.  I love to listen to my music at ear piercing levels at times with a cocktail or two.  So, even though I had them crank the speakers up a bit at the store and it was loud, it still left me wondering what they could handle and still sound good.  I know that the RF-7's will reach crazy levels, but will the Heresy's come close to that?  My second question is what subs/size would you suggest getting if I were to get the Heresy's?  I'm thinking 2 12's from SVS or Rhythmik maybe?  Any help/thoughts would be much appreciated.  I should also state that my system is going into my great room that is about 800 sq. ft with cathedral ceilings.   Thanks for the help!

What I plan on getting for system:

Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3

Marantz SR5011

2 12" subs

Heresy III or RF-7 II

Elkman99,

Welcome to the forum.

The Heresy I, II, and III will play as loud and clean as you would ever "need".  As far as subs, two 12's from either brand will work just fine for music.  

How far is your main listening position?

Is this system for music only or full blown multichannel HT also?  If HT also, you will need bigger subs to fill that huge room.

If music only, may I suggest a stereo preamp instead of an HT AVR?

Bill

Thanks guys.  My listening position is about 12 ft away if in my chair and 16 from the couch, but of course when I'm up doing stuff in the room or buddies are over I could be listening 30 ft away.  My setup is for 90% music but I like all the options that the marantz gives me, ie., Wi-Fi, surround sound for movies, usb, HDMI etc..  

God Bless Heresey's 

They probably saved Klipsch at one time . I have heard I's II's and some super Heresey's , they all sound great and are amazing for their size. I have not heard Heresey III's  but I have heard RF-7 II's and I have to believe in a large room along with high levels the RF-7's will be a better fit :D

• Like 2

I almost forgot ! You should PM the gentleman that posted the Specs for the KL-396's .

You might be surprised at what they cost . Klipsch Pro stuff is more affordable than you would think.The focus is more on performance than looks. I have not personally heard them but people that are highly respected have and raved about them

• Like 2

RF7-ii gets my vote.  They'll move more air than a Heresy.  Also, it's a dying breed.  It's the last of the reference line with wood veneer on the face, so get them while you can.  They are beautiful speakers.  They get the horn up away from the ground and project sound really well.   In terms of "loud" they are only one step down from a LaScala.  

rf7ii, sonically i like them more and they have the added benefit of having the horn more on axis with your ear without having to use stands. they are also a perfect match with an rc64ii center

i agree on getting them while you can. high end HT speakers are kind of a dying breed. too many people concerned with features and effects over SQ

there was a place on ebay selling B stock RF7ii's for a good deal on ebay. minor veneer defects was what made them B stock and some of the defects were really minor 

• 4 weeks later...

well, thanks to Metropolis, i have a brand new set of KI-396's in my living room.  these thing absolutely rock!  extremely loud, articulate, and fast when cranked up, but yet smooth and mellow at easy listening levels.  i could not have gotten a better fit for what i was looking for.  Metallica's "one" pushed at high volumes with my xpa-2 is something you need to experience :D:emotion-22::emotion-21:

20170422_195125.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Rather than adding the cost of subs to Heresy's maybe consider instead just buying Cornwall III's - they dig deeper, play louder, and probably take up less space than H3's and a Sub.  

I too love occasionally cranking music to ear-bleed levels  and have been known to do so with a Bombay Saphire martini on-board.  Still, I find the CWIII's to be extremely satisfying despite dropping off at the very lowest frequencies. 

The only time I miss a subwoofer is when I make my system pull double-duty as the L/R front and sub for movies.  ..And even then ONLY when watching movies with lots of deep deep special effects which usually isn't my thing.   ..I don't miss hearing explosions and the footsteps of T-Rex's enough to add another run of unsightly cables and another big box to our common room and deal with the challenges of finding the optimum crossover frequency, etc...