Help me choose an amplifier (the typical newbie post)

faithless

Hello,

Help this guy out, I am looking for an amp to match my modest setup.

Turntable: Music Hall Icura  

CD player: Marantz PMD-326C

Speakers: Klipsch SF-2 100 watts maximum continuous (400 watts peak)

This setup will be used for playing vinyl and CD with a focus on heavy metal with fast drumming.

The room is 14x14 feet. My budget is $500 but it can be adjusted for 10-20 percent.  

A few models I am considering:

Music Hall a15.3

Onkyo A-9050

Yamaha A-S500BL

Thanks!

Faithless,

Welcome to the forum.

Where is your location.

52 minutes ago, faithless said:

A few models I am considering:

Music Hall a15.3

Onkyo A-9050

Yamaha A-S500BL

Don't have any experience with Music Hall but do with Onkyo and Yamaha.  Both of those pieces should do a fine job with your SF-2's.  With that said, you could go up the Klipsch speaker chain a bit and still get a fine integrated to drive them.

Bill

Get the Yamaha. It has the highest power output (compare all 3 at the same resistance, 8 ohms or 4 ohms) and it has two sets of speaker outputs. The Music Hall only has one set. You can dock an iPod or i Phone to the Yamaha with an accessory

I think the Yamaha is your safest bet. I do however own the Onkyo 9050, and I do like how it sounds.

I can't comment on the sound of the Yamaha A-S500. I do have the Yamaha A-S1000 powering a pair of Klipsch Chorus II, and it has beautiful and powerful clear and detailed sound, in case you decide to stretch your budget a bit more it should be the best bet. .    

6 hours ago, pallpoul said:

I think the Yamaha is your safest bet. I do however own the Onkyo 9050, and I do like how it sounds.

I can't comment on the sound of the Yamaha A-S500. I do have the Yamaha A-S1000 powering a pair of Klipsch Chorus II, and it has beautiful and powerful clear and detailed sound, in case you decide to stretch your budget a bit more it should be the best bet. .    

Yes it does.  Great punch, sweet mids, detailed highs, very balanced amp from top to bottom.

Bill

I am partial to Yamaha as well. I've been using Yamaha since the late 80's. They're solid, dependable and sound great. I am currently running 4 Yamaha receivers and love the sound and have had no issues. Plus, their customer service is excellent with questions.

I also would not be worried about power ratings of the speakers. That is usually continuous power which I seriously doubt you will ever experience. Most of the time the amp will be pushing just a couple of watts. Get a quality amp with the highest power rating and lowest distortion levels you can afford, more speakers are destroyed by clipping and distortion than power. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your input!

I’ve tested Onkyo A-9050 and the sound was clean and bright which was probably the combination of SF-2's and the amplifier itself.

My next step was to look into a better pair of Klipsch speakers until I ran into this monster. It needs some cleaning but the sound was mind blowing.

20170412_211657.thumb.jpg.31fa6f1613e5f66e325f241b8db6105b.jpg