Fairchild 260

JohnA

You won't find a better amp!  This is an example of one of the best 50s mono amps in existence.  The output tubes, as I recall, were 1614 beam pentodes running in class AB1 (the two tubes in the middle).  Its power supply had to be very robust to handle the huge current swings between zero and full signal so they used 2 rectifiers.  Its opts were also among the best available.  I recommend restoring it and using it in a nice mono system until you can find another one.  I have no idea of its current value, but would guess that it sold for around $150 when new- do the math to get an idea of what they would be in today's dollar.

Maynard

O.K.  GF found this in her attic.  Left by some previous owner.  All tubes are "Made in U.S.A." and some may be originals (RCA rectifiers).  The output tubes were changed to metal base 6L6s (one is broken) and the 12AU7 is now a 12AX7.  We climbed back into the attic and there were no other components to match it.  So, I guess she'll sell it.  I can't use it without at least a preamp that is as rare as hen's teeth, or a mate.  How fun it would be to have 5 to run my system with!   But, then, the damping factor is a whopping 9!  Compared to my Acurus amps, that would be clearly audible. 

17 hours ago, John Albright said:

I can't use it without at least a preamp that is as rare as hen's teeth, or a mate.  How fun it would be to have 5 to run my system with!   But, then, the damping factor is a whopping 9!  Compared to my Acurus amps, that would be clearly audible. 

The input sensitivity of the Fairchild is probably no more than 1 volt.  It can easily be used without a preamp if driven by a CD player or device with similar output.  

Damping factor cannot be used as a predictor of how a given amp/speaker combination will sound.  In fact, some speakers actually sound better with low df amps (in my experience Klipsch speakers like K-horns, LSs, Belles, and many Reference Series, etc. fall into that category).  Sure, the Fairchild will sound different from the Acurus, but it certainly is not fair to compare a SS amp to a tube amp anyway.  Keep in mind that SS amps which have DFs of 100X that of the Fairchild may not be nearly that high when the resistance of the speaker cables is factored in.  

So, my point is, don't even look at DF/amplifier output impedance when considering a purchase (even Carver's monster VTA-305 has a DF of only around 6.5).  Use your ears and forget about it!  

Maynard       

• 2 weeks later...

As long as an amp was not over driven, a large increase in damping factor has always been the most obvious change in my system.  Sometimes the only obvious change, whether from '70s SS or tubes, to either my Marantz, Parasound or Acurus amps, using the same pre amp(s). 

I had forgotten I had run through so much gear with these La Scalas. 

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, sheltie dave said:

Warren, I picked the Fairchild up and have restored it. It is quite good, and sounds great on a mono  Khorn with its partnered Fairchild 245 preamp. 

If if you are anywhere St. Louis you can stop by for a listen.

Dave

Lucky you!  I've only heard my solitary 255A, long, long ago, thought the musical sound was better than the Marantz 8B, the prominent competitor at the time.  My gosh, whoever has a 245?  I had only a mono Fairchild pre, of course.  Nice, nice sound.

What are the input sensitivities of the 260, 255 and 8B?  I thought at least 1.0 v numerically.

• Like 1

Larry, it took some digging, as I couldn't access my saved files on our Chrome laptop, but I did find them on Marantz and Fairchild cutsheets. 

Marantz published at 35 watts, input sensitivity is 1.3V RMS into 250K.

Fairchild 255a... less than 1 volt input required for maximum rated output

Fairchild 260... input sensitivity @ 50watts, 0.9 v RMS

Fairchild 275... less than 0.7 v RMS required for rated output

• 3 weeks later...

Dave,

Thanks.  FWIW, I think the Marantz 8B needed 1.3 v. for 35 watts out.

I had a 232 cart, which I thought had a wonderful sound and was beautiful-looking.  However, it was not a good tracker, and I was beyond frustrated with audible record wear with almost every play!  I had to quit using it to save my records.  I don't recall what boost or transformers I used.

It sure would be interesting to visit your place sometime!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...