Academy center channel in Toledo with some interesting upgrades/mods

Alpha Lima

Whilst perusing the Bay for a center speaker to go with my CF-4 fronts (the prime candidates are the KV-4 and KLF-C7), I happened across this interesting item.

Apparently, in addition to upgrading to a Crites crossover, someone replaced this Academy's stock front baffle to one that mounts the tweeter horn horizontally for wider dispersion.

Personally, the horn should've been oriented that way, to begin with, but whatever. Probably not as much of an issue for the larger-horned ones I'm going after.

I guess the mods warrant the high price. Not a bad look, either.

Local pick-up in the Toledo, OH, area only. Definitely don't have the time or money to drive all the way out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLIPSCH-CENTER-SPEAKER-ACADEMY-WITH-UP-GRADES-/152479801327?hash=item2380811fef:g:b~AAAOSwzgBY0Hq

25 minutes ago, Alpha Lima said:

Whilst perusing the Bay for a center speaker to go with my CF-4 fronts (the prime candidates are the KV-4 and KLF-C7), I happened across this interesting item.

I've mulled over many potential centers for my CF-4.  My choice will surprise you.

Like you I've searched for a nearby KLF-C7 without success.  I found a kit from Parts-Express which featured a pair of 7" Usher drivers paired with an Usher dome tweeter in an MTM arrangement.  The sound from the dome tweeter based center has been fantastic with crystal clear male and female vocals.  This 4 ohm center can definitely keep up with the CF-4's.

I know it doesn't fit the classic model with timbre matched L/C/R but the center is very high quality and the Onkyo AVR makes them all play nice together.

I'm still looking to put together a custom "super center" and I'm still on the lookout for the elusive KLF-C7.

I'm just not looking as hard as I have been in the past.  B)

IMG_3824.JPG