RP-140SA or better

Pappy01545

I am working on achieving great Atmos sound. I have a very high ceiling, imagine a barn like shape. I can't use an elevation speaker designed to bounce off the ceiling. Can I mount the RP-140SA above my floor standing speakers to shoot sound down into the listening area or is there a better Klipsch speaker to use?

I am currently experimenting with a RB-6ii as an atmos speaker in lieu of the RP-140SA.

I have it positioned on top of my KHorns angled at 22 degrees aimed up but its looks are not that desirable.

I got them for a great price from Frys and feel like from a specification standpoint it is a better speaker but realize there could be some roll off in the Xo of the RP-140SA that may or may not be of a benefit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9O8SI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1YX7EB80E4EIU

This is the bracket I was going to use to wall mount another pair in the rear if I liked the result of my front height experiment.

Biggest problem is this is a pretty large bookshelf to begin with and then to be angling down without screwing into the cabinet for the 10 degree rake is kind of scary. Depending on your seating position the 22 degree angle of a wall mounted RP-140SA may work better.

The distance above your L/R speakers is important to get that height separation from the fronts. To close and it just blends in with the fronts.

I just started with my Atmos experiment 3 days ago and I only have one Atmos encoded. Bluray "Star Trek Beyond".

It does sound awesome but it has so many sounds coming from everywhere it was difficult to verify how much height I was hearing.

I need something like a helicopter hoovering or rain to really know if I obtained my objective.

I would look at the specs of the RP-140SA and some of the bookshelves and determine if these may fit the bill.

The RP-140SA is also wall mountable if you feel that is your best choice.

59 minutes ago, Pappy01545 said:

I am working on achieving great Atmos sound. I have a very high ceiling, imagine a barn like shape. I can't use an elevation speaker designed to bounce off the ceiling. Can I mount the RP-140SA above my floor standing speakers to shoot sound down into the listening area or is there a better Klipsch speaker to use?

First, how high is the ceiling, how large is the room and your distance to the front and center speakers.  A room pic is worth a thousand words.

the very top of the ceiling must be 18-20 feet, the sides angle out and down to the walls that are around 10 feet. The room is 25' by 25'. The distance from center speaker is 13'. The distance front left and right is about same. My question is can the RP-140SA which are designed to bounce off the ceiling be instead shot downwards into the listening area or does Klipsch have something better?

For ceiling speaker the recommended height is 2-3 times the ear level of the listener.  Your ceiling height is a bit high and maybe consider some in-ceiling speakers.  Consider top middle and rear atmos speakers along with top front.  If the avr can do 11 to 13 speakers, top middle, and above the front speakers for atmos and mount the rear high up on the wall.  This is going to be trial and error which is not easy.  Post a room pic.