Diaphragm...

Schu

Diaphragm...

is this gap normal for a k55 phenolic?

I picked up a reoccurring "buzz" at certain frequencies in one speaker and decided to break apart the 55x driver to see if I could see any damage. nothing across the dome itself, and everything looked fairly clean except this gap

32729675924_af558b1b26_k.jpg

I have never taken apart a driver like this before so I really did not know what to look for other than OBVIOUS damage. I really did not expect to find anything traumatic because the "buzz" only happens on certain songs and at certain frequencies and the buzz is exactly repeatable every time i play those songs. for a time I though maybe it was distortion on the recording itself but it seemed to have gained in regularity and widened it's occurrence to some other recorded material.

I cleaned the gap, inspected the diaphragm and carefully reassembled the driver... now, no "buzz" at all (after already ordering 55g's from bob)... the driver sounds perfect.

the question is... is that gap normal? what causes "buzz"... is it physical contact between the magnet and the diaphragm? could simple misalignment of the diaphragm within the magnet assembly cause "buzz"?

The buzz is common.  I've read several times about it.  I believe the back comes loose.  When you tightened everything back up during reassembly, you repaired the issue.

Normally you can press on the back of the driver to make it stop.

That's for the other drivers where the plastic cap loosens... these are the atlas pd 5vh (k55x).

Unless the issue is the same for both driver types.

One thing I have noticed is overall imagining and clarity are better since doing the dis-assembly/re-assembly. There may have been something else going on...

That makes sense... but if were connection seating, why would it only take place at certain frequencies and on some songs exactly in the same spots in this songs and not in other songs at all...

5 minutes ago, Schu said:

That makes sense... but if were connection seating, why would it only take place at certain frequencies and on some songs exactly in the same spots in this songs and not in other songs at all...

Maybe it was at the frequencies where the impedance dips and the driver needed more current.  I'm honestly just guessing.

Yes, folded tape, post-it, anything sticky that can pull stuff out of the gap because it will stick to the tape or post-it.  Particularly good when cleaning metal that may stick to the magnet or ferrofluid (not in the k-55).

Years ago I did actually have a k-55 in a k-horn where I could hear the screen rattle.  Removed the screens and the rattle was gone.

"Really... was material coming out the entire time?"

No, I quit when it seems clean, re-assemble, then listen.

Sometimes there is debris under the top plate (especially if someone used compressed air and blew it back away from the gap), and it works its way back to the gap.

"I made a couple passes, didn't see any debris, and reassembled."

That's what I do too.

• Like 1