KI-396

Elkman99

Does anyone have any experience with these speaker's?  I'm really considering buying a pair for my system.  How does the sound compare to say RF-7's?  Do they sound good at lower volumes?  Are they a good choice for a home music system?  I know they won't be pretty to look at, but sound quality is my #1goal.  Thanks

I usually listen to stuff way lower than most everybody here, they're just not an issue at lower volumes.  If it were I wouldn't be in the process of trying to get some for my own setup.  These just induce zero fatigue and sound correct.  Rock music is insane on them, all the stuff that makes rock music come alive is really detailed on these.  At higher volume they still sound controlled and accurate.  It's cool listening to them out in a field and all, but pop them in a treated room and compare them to other typical consumer speakers side by side and you'll realize how nice they are. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elkman99 said:

All genres of music sound good on them and not just rock?  Thanks for the replies!

I thought they sounded great on movies, I didn't run a bunch of different types of music through them.  I did play Dave Matthew's concert blu ray, that was excellent.  Roy (the designer) is big on playing Bonnie Raitt through speakers for testing the voicing and he seems to be quite proud of how these turned out.  These are the same compression drivers and horns that are in KPT-904's and I've heard Nils Lofgren and lots of other stuff through those, they sound great and aren't fatiguing.  

I don't recall how far away we were but...  they were playing what I think was a (single) 396

You could have fooled me that it was the larger system playing (though not at its max levels)

Sounded VERY good and it was at a distance.  I'd say they are a quite capable speaker, even they do have honking horns... :emotion-14:

KPT Cinema Grandeur.jpg

Back.jpg

9 minutes ago, Elkman99 said:

Very cool.  I can't believe more folks don't own these.  Maybe it's the non-Pretty factor.

I'm doing my part. :)  

I know it is entirely possible to order them with the new Forte III matte black finish with no flypoints.  Actively trying to order some.  But, if my wife can literally tell me that it doesn't matter because we just sit around and listen to them in the dark anyway, then well, it probably doesn't matter. :)  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

If there is another Klipsch speaker I would want we would want it would be the 396 or the forte lll. I have heard the Forte lll but only for a few hours and in a way it's a similarly voiced sound. They will have a set of Forte lll's in the Klipsch listening room this year for everyone to hear, it's going to be VERY popular.

I have not heard these two together so I have no idea how they would compare side by side in a room?

We have much more listening time with the 396 and it's one of the best. I got to listen at Rodney's for MANY hours over the last 1'5 years, and we would stay in the clubhouse at night listening after he went to bed across the property, which means we could crank them up, they are impressive, at any volume.  Had the cows listening to some reggae mixed with rock a few hours before sunrise, I think they liked it. :) But most of the time when everyone is just sitting around we play them at a volume where everyone can easily talk, the 12' table is about 20' from the speakers and you can talk to someone on the other end of the table without a problem, so it's not just loud that they sound good at.

You really just have to hear them both, I'm jealous of Carl, well right up until the police look for him, again.

8 hours ago, dtel said:

You really just have to hear them both, I'm jealous of Carl, well right up until the police look for him, again.

We fired them up again this weekend as the wife and I were cleaning her car.  Listened to some Amy Winehouse and Pink.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Not only do they sound great, they are built in Hope, USA and can withstand the impact of a speeding truck:

http://www.klipsch.com/blog/klipsch-speakers-track-tested-thanks-to-the-ihra

Quote from blog post linked above:

"One of the Klipsch KI-396 speakers found itself directly in the path of Pierce’s Chevrolet S-10, sending it flying through the air. If you watch the video close enough you can see the unlucky speaker catch some air.

Jason Rittenberry, CEO & President of IRG Sports + Entertainment, humorously described the speaker’s flight. “We use Klipsch products at all of our Nitro Jam events and one of the Klipsch speakers went for a wild ride after an accident during the event,” said Rittenberry.

It didn’t look so good at first for the custom KI-396 speaker…

Rittenberry added, “It took a hard hit from a race car and landed in the mud. After repairing the cable, the speaker worked just fine. It’s a testament to the quality of their product.”