Khorn speakers I just bought - Help Needed

thedanimal

Great buy and look WoW. First off.  Get them away from those floor heaters. They will dry out the wood on the bottom of the speaker

you can build a corner wall for them and that will help the sound and block some of the heat of the floor heaters

great buy and welcome to the klipsch bug

• Like 1

Like many of the others, I think you should listen to them for a while, in good corners, before changing things.  However, the original capacitors are no longer made, so direct replacements cannot be had.  I don't even think you can find 2 uF Paper and foil In Oil (PIO) caps anywhere any more.  OTOH, much better caps are available.  The sign the caps need replacement is a dull, distant sound. 

• Like 1

You can still get the oil capacitors, Bob even had them for awhile and may still. But going with modern ones will be just as good I have done both. My Ks have the oil type motor run caps in them from Bob.

But you do need to seal them into the corners with pipe foam....the horizontal part of the bass bin also.

You have a ton of reading on the forum which will answer all your questions for the most part.

By the way you got a hell of a deal on those pat your self on the back. 

Thanks again everyone for the continued feedback on these. I've already spent quite a bit of time researching here, and they sound dang amazing as-is. Like I did with my older Heresy's, I suspect it will be the better part of a year moving them around and just listening before I decide to do anything. As far as the purchase, the hardest thing to do was waiting 3 full days taking a gamble that others wouldn't take them before I showed up the last day ready to deal. I'm very much a happy camper!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thedanimal said:

I suspect it will be the better part of a year moving them around and just listening before I decide to do anything. As far as the purchase, the hardest thing to do was waiting 3 full days taking a gamble that others wouldn't take them before I showed up the last day ready to deal. I'm very much a happy camper!

Congratulations they look great and a great price, I like the idea of listening to them as they are for a while. It will give you a chance to get to know how they sound so with any changes you will know the real difference, or not.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 3/21/2017 at 5:21 PM, thedanimal said:

I told me wife it was something that we had to act on so I hope I'm within boundaries...I think I am. 

You are, I would say you were very lucky to get those in that condition for that price.

On 3/21/2017 at 7:42 PM, thedanimal said:

I'm probably like a lot of chaps just thinking about these kinds of things for years and years, then the situation presents its self and it's not even a question. Hammer the bank account and just go for it. It's the last thing I really need with kids in high school coming into cars and college and such, but damn the torpedoes. 

Well they are not just for you, everyone listens to music. Anyway all the other things you listed never seems to end, it's always something, so give them music while it's happening. 

I vote you did the right thing, and you got a great deal.             But if they will be in that room add some backs, it would not be expensive, they can have some great bass. imo

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dtel said:

But if they will be in that room add some backs, it would not be expensive, they can have some great bass. imo

Good call outs dtel. Regarding the backs, are you suggesting that they are sold by 3rd party companies or just size/cut/fit via plywood? I'm intrigued and would do either since I think they will be right where this one is for a while (in front of the double-pane picture windows). The 2nd speaker is in my garage now and suspect it will end up downstairs but I'm not that far along. Noticed your profile pic...are you a reggae fan by chance? 

I have another question on these now. I saw some 1974's on the forum with a darker oatmeal color cloth which made me wonder if it was an option to choose the speaker fabric. I have stock HBRs with black cloth, and after looking closely at my Khorns I'm convinced that the HBRs and Khorns are both black stock cloth. There is a few faint spots of dark epoxy where I think the pie logo was affixed on the Khorns, and I'm at least thinking I should find some aftermarket or original logos, if available; what is everyone's thoughts on this? I

Thanks! Dan

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:56 PM, thedanimal said:

I have another question on these now. I saw some 1974's on the forum with a darker oatmeal color cloth which made me wonder if it was an option to choose the speaker fabric. I have stock HBRs with black cloth, and after looking closely at my Khorns I'm convinced that the HBRs and Khorns are both black stock cloth. There is a few faint spots of dark epoxy where I think the pie logo was affixed on the Khorns, and I'm at least thinking I should find some aftermarket or original logos, if available; what is everyone's thoughts on this? I

If you want to, place an WTB ad in the garage sale here for the logo badges for the year model. Also look there as they are for sale there off and on. Another place to look is e-bay. By now, you may already have them. Same applies to cloth. A search of forum may yield results about a supplier of good cloth.

Good fortune

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 3/24/2017 at 7:56 PM, thedanimal said:

Regarding the backs, are you suggesting that they are sold by 3rd party companies or just size/cut/fit via plywood?

DIY, just read about how to do it first, Billybobs link is a good place to start. I don't have Khorns but from looking at the way they close in the backs it looks pretty simple.

If I did have them and not the best shaped room, I would close them in just so they could be turned to aim in the best direction (but still in the corner), some rooms can have them aiming completely wrong if there pushed tight in the corner as they should be without backs. Like in a deep room that's not real wide, they would aim/cross way in front of where you might sit.

You got a good deal.