Khorn speakers I just bought - Help Needed

thedanimal

Hi all,

I just picked up a very beautiful set of walnut Khorns that are sequentially numbered in fantastic shape for 1,600. First question, is that that reasonable? I told me wife it was something that we had to act on so I hope I'm within boundaries...I think I am. 

My second and most important question is how should I properly rebuild the crossovers with period-correct hardware? I have some older Heresy's that I rebuilt with the Crites kit but do not want to mess up these awesome speakers. 

Thanks,

Dan

• Like 2

That is more than reasonable, you did very, very well on the price.  We love photos here, so please don't be shy.  Don't know what vintage your Khorns are, but "period correct" hardware is not the way to go.  Updating your networks with modern components will not hurt their value if done properly, and with quality parts.  Get a Crites kit, or another crossover vendor, and enjoy.

31 minutes ago, thedanimal said:

I just picked up a very beautiful set of walnut Khorns that are sequentially numbered in fantastic shape for 1,600. First question, is that that reasonable? I told me wife it was something that we had to act on so I hope I'm within boundaries...I think I am. 

Hi Dan, I like to wheel and deal in Heritage prices, but there is an active deal going on right now with two Forum members negotiating on some Khorns.

I'd like to defer on your question of value for now, but I'll get back to you later, if that's all right.  Just have some patience. 

+++

Dan, I can look up your s/n as I keep that info on my computer.

+++

I just saw JimJimbo's comment directly upstream ^^^.  I agree, upgrading to something better will not devalue your speakers. 

You might want do some research to see if you want to remain stock or do some upgrading on components.  There is a ton of information on the Type AA's and plenty of people have done precisely those kind of updates/upgrades, including JimJimbo!  (and me)  B)

Thank you!!! I'm probably like a lot of chaps just thinking about these kinds of things for years and years, then the situation presents its self and it's not even a question. Hammer the bank account and just go for it. It's the last thing I really need with kids in high school coming into cars and college and such, but damn the torpedoes. 

Lemon string I see you have the Schiit Bifrost DAC and I just got the AKM 4490 upgrade delivered last week and installed it. I usually don't rave about technicalities but I listened to a few reference songs on my Heresy IIs and was really pleased. Might be worth checking that out. I had the Uber circuit prior to the new AKM upgrade available on their website. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Hi Dan, I like to wheel and deal in Heritage prices, but there is an active deal going on right now with two Forum members negotiating on some Khorns.

I'd like to defer on your question of value for now, but I'll get back to you later, if that's all right.  Just have some patience. 

+++

Dan, I can look up your s/n as I keep that info on my computer.

+++

I just saw JimJimbo's comment directly upstream ^^^.  I agree, upgrading to something better will not devalue your speakers. 

You might want do some research to see if you want to remain stock or do some upgrading on components.  There is a ton of information on the Type AA's and plenty of people have done precisely those kind of updates/upgrades, including JimJimbo!  (and me)  B)

Here are the SNs and thanks for checking out if you have a few minutes. I have a lot of research to do before I waste anyone's time further here, but the older I get the more I'm inclined to leave things period specific and go with old parts just for the sake of the original design. However if it's sonically better with Crites or new caps and such I'm pretty sure I'll go with that.

K-B-WO; 5M712 and 13. 

Those (lack of) corners might affect your lower output a bit.  Looks like your windows take away about half of the wall they were designed to use.

Not trying to toss a wet blanket around....  If you love their sound, know they might be (slightly) improved upon.

24 minutes ago, thedanimal said:

K-B-WO; 5M712 and 13. 

K=Klipschorn, B=B style collared (top hat style)

WO = Walnut Oiled, considered a common finish (not custom)

5M712

The letter M=1974

It should have a Type AA crossover.  If it has not been updated with fresh capacitors that is considered necessary at some point due to its age.  The midrange driver will be a K-55-V.

25 minutes ago, thedanimal said:

Thank you!!! I'm probably like a lot of chaps just thinking about these kinds of things for years and years, then the situation presents its self and it's not even a question. Hammer the bank account and just go for it. It's the last thing I really need with kids in high school coming into cars and college and such, but damn the torpedoes. 

Lemon string I see you have the Schiit Bifrost DAC and I just got the AKM 4490 upgrade delivered last week and installed it. I usually don't rave about technicalities but I listened to a few reference songs on my Heresy IIs and was really pleased. Might be worth checking that out. I had the Uber circuit prior to the new AKM upgrade available on their website. 

Good to hear I've been considering the upgrade for a while and was wanting to hear some reviews. I will say that I am very leased with upgrades I made to my khorns. 

Enjoy  

7 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Those (lack of) corners might affect your lower output a bit.  Looks like your windows take away about half of the wall they were designed to use.

Not trying to toss a wet blanket around....  If you love their sound, know they might be (slightly) improved upon.

1 minute ago, Lemon string said:

Good to hear I've been considering the upgrade for a while and was wanting to hear some reviews. I will say that the I am very leased with upgrades I made to my khorns. 

Enjoy  

10-4 and roger that. HiFi budget is totally shot!

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

K=Klipschorn, B=B style collared (top hat style)

WO = Walnut Oiled, considered a common finish (not custom)

5M712

The letter M=1974

Thank you for confirming for me. I had a gut feel all along that they were 1973 but that just might have been because it was the year I was born!

25 minutes ago, thedanimal said:

I have a lot of research to do before I waste anyone's time further here, but the older I get the more I'm inclined to leave things period specific and go with old parts just for the sake of the original design. However if it's sonically better with Crites or new caps and such I'm pretty sure I'll go with that.

The first thing I would advise is simply plug those Khorns and enjoy them.  Give yourself a month, maybe even longer to see how you like them. 

Don't be caught up into all the upgrade-itis everybody likes to do to keep up with the Joneses.  The stock Khorns will still sound pretty good, and when I ran my 1978 Khorns stock they were very smooth, very listenable.  I went with an upgrade because I like jazz type stuff (think trumpets) and I wanted more dynamics, more punch.  I ran mine stock for probably 6 months until the right deal came along for used Crites crossvers.