Network schematic for DE75 on 402??

bhendrix

• 1 month later...

You can definitely see the effect of the shorting copper cap of the DE750TN.

Would have  helped if they had listed the horn used with the DE750TN to know if that could also be a variable when comparing their test data.

I'm also curious what if anything else is different between these drivers.

miketn 

After curving the K-691 driver recently, I can say that last octave is problematic.  It is the difference in sound in that last octave that is the difference in the sound of that driver from say, a TAD TD-4002 or a Faital Pro HF20AT.  If you look at the impedance plot differences, I believe that you will see that clearly.

A recently run spectrogram of that driver on "new" K-402 (EQed flat) taken at 1 m and at nominally 94 dB:

593129f0708c8_K-691Moderate(94dBsweep)spectrogram.png.1796ed46da224af43dbdd14296e4e5bf.png

The overall EQ differences are most dependent on that last octave, and it is the source of most of the work in trying to EQ it flat, IMO.  That 14.8 kHz "ringing" is a pretty big deal, and I don't believe that the damping ratio of the two B&C drivers (DE75, DE750) will be that much different, i.e., regardless of relative SPL on-axis at that frequency band, they will probably sound quite similar.

Chris

I believe that I mentioned that the K-69-A also has a 14.8 kHz diaphragm breakup mode ("ringing").  That's a P.Audio driver (Thailand), not a B&C driver (Italy).  I've never had a "K-69" driver in my hands to test at home.

The Faital Pro HF20AT (titanium diaphragm 2" compression driver) doesn't seem to have that issue, at least not in my measurements.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2017 at 10:48 PM, mikebse2a3 said:

You can definitely see the effect of the shorting copper cap of the DE750TN.

Would have  helped if they had listed the horn used with the DE750TN to know if that could also be a variable when comparing their test data.

I'm also curious what if anything else is different between these drivers.

miketn 

If I remember right, the surround on the DE-75 is actually mylar with a mostly titanium diaphragm, while the new DE-750 is 100% titanium, there is no mylar.